PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know...

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 00:12
Who the most "famous" person to complete a thru is? Any writers or actors to complete the AT?:cool:

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 00:14
I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but if you haven't already, check out Earl Shaffer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Shaffer).

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 00:15
That's a very good question Pilot,hmm

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 00:24
Someone famous before they hiked the AT, not famous for hiking the AT. :)

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 00:28
Someone famous before they hiked the AT, not famous for hiking the AT. :)

I know, but that was the first one that came to mind!

There used to be constant rumor of Kevin Bacon hiking and jogging the trail around Kent, CT, but those were just stories of day hikes, and I'm not sure if they are current or from back when he went to school in the area.

I'm hoping to hear the answer as well, would be very interesting to find out if someone of note thru hiked the trail before or after they became famous.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 00:30
I know, but that was the first one that came to mind!

There used to be constant rumor of Kevin Bacon hiking and jogging the trail around Kent, CT, but those were just stories of day hikes, and I'm not sure if they are current or from back when he went to school in the area.6 trails to Kevin Bacon

rickb
06-30-2012, 05:48
Who the most "famous" person to complete a thru is?

John Mackey the outspoken founder/leader of Whole Foods, employer of over 60,000.

rickb
06-30-2012, 05:53
Also Wlliam O. Douglas -- Supreme Court Justice.

Reportedly.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 06:01
John Mackey the outspoken founder/leader of Whole Foods, employer of over 60,000.

Now that is cool. I have a lot of respect for Mackey. I love how outspoken and opinionated he was and stood up for what he believed in. It was never just about the money with him. I wish I knew what cookbooks he recommends the most!!

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 06:03
What about the owner of Burt's Bee's lip balm,drawing a blank on her name.
Roxanne Quimbly or Burt him self ?

fiddlehead
06-30-2012, 06:04
Saw Kramer from "Seinfeld" when we were on the PCT (in Agua Dulce)
I heard Ted Nugent wanted to thru-hike the AT but is afraid of bears. :)

rickb
06-30-2012, 06:17
What about the owner of Burt's Bee's lip balm,drawing a blank on her name.

Roxanne Quimby is a great suporter of the Trail, and philanthropist. Among other things her foundation paid for getting all those thousands of hiker pictures online at the AT Museum.

Her daughter thru hiked and was on the ATC board.

rickb
06-30-2012, 06:18
Now that is cool. I have a lot of respect for Mackey. I love how outspoken and opinionated he was and stood up for what he believed in. It was never just about the money with him. I wish I knew what cookbooks he recommends the most!!

You got me thinking. I wish I knew what he ate on the Trail.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 06:21
Roxanne Quimby is a great suporter of the Trail, and philanthropist. Among other things her foundation paid for getting all those thousands of hiker pictures online at the AT Museum.

Her daughter thru hiked and was on the ATC board.Yep,I was just guessing,don't really know if she did the whole trail,but my bet would be definitely maybe.

atmilkman
06-30-2012, 07:25
I heard Carrie Underwood is going to hike it in her goodbye shoes, and break the record for how many pair she wears.

lemon b
06-30-2012, 08:23
In my mind its either Chip, wing, or Baltimore Jack. But Kay Wood is way up there on my list of people i respect.

Lyle
06-30-2012, 09:09
Governor Sanford?

I know, I know, Just a joke.

Maddog
06-30-2012, 09:15
Dave Levey...winner of Season 6 of Hell's Kitchen...thru-hiked prior to winning the show! Maddog:)

Odd Man Out
06-30-2012, 09:21
...I heard Ted Nugent wanted to thru-hike the AT but is afraid of bears. :)

Odd. I'd think there would be no bears left on the AT after a Nugent thru-hike.

Governor Sanford? I know, I know, Just a joke.

Beat me to it. He gave a whole new meaning to "Hiking the AT". Now my wife has a whole new reason to not let me go "hike the AT".

tiptoe
06-30-2012, 10:06
Ballet dancer Jacques d'Amboise thru-hiked in 1999. He taught dancing classes along the way.
http://www.aldha.org/dancer.htm
http://www.sillsarasota.org/bio_dAmboise.htm

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 10:49
Dave Levey...winner of Season 6 of Hell's Kitchen...thru-hiked prior to winning the show! Maddog:)

Ballet dancer Jacques d'Amboise thru-hiked in 1999. He taught dancing classes along the way.
http://www.aldha.org/dancer.htm
http://www.sillsarasota.org/bio_dAmboise.htm

LOL I was thinking of someone more like George Clooney...

rickb
06-30-2012, 11:11

The actor that played Neelix on Star Trek Voyager expressed an interest in thru hiking somewhare. .

Should he find the time some day, surelywe'd all prefer to run into him on the Trailt than Clooney.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 11:18
The actor that played Neelix on Star Trek Voyager expressed an interest in thru hiking somewhare. .

Should he find the time some day, surelywe'd all prefer to run into him on the Trailt than Clooney.

Oh yes. I would much prefer Neelix over Clooney!! Are you out of your mind?? Hmmm??? Neelix may be the nicest guy in the world, but Clooney?? I would let him carry my tent any day! (You know I am sure that a lot of BS goes on here, but I actually met Clooney when I was playing blackjack at the Venetian in Vegas about 5 yrs ago. I heard his voice and he came over and shook hands and spoke with me. Absolutely could not have been any nicer!!)

johnnybgood
06-30-2012, 11:21
Al Roker and Abe Vigoda yo-yoed the trail together.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 11:32

When did this happen? Abe Vigoda is now 91.

RockDoc
06-30-2012, 15:12
I believe that Justice Douglas hiked the C&O Canal, not the AT.
There was a time in the late 1960's/early 70's when the Canal (National Monument) was in rough shape and needed a funding increase and Justice Douglas was involved (successfully) in raising awareness.
He should be a hero to hikers, he was one of us.

tdoczi
06-30-2012, 15:24
When did this happen? Abe Vigoda is now 91.

1995 maybe? i had heard it was a straight SOBO though. the golden girls yo-yo'ed, that must be the confusion.

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 15:35

That doesn't count, Al Roker is an alien. Didn't you watch the original MIB?

rickb
06-30-2012, 22:26
There was a time in the late 1960's/early 70's when the Canal (National Monument) was in rough shape and needed a funding increase and Justice Douglas was involved (successfully) in raising awareness.

http://www.atconf.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers/2000-milers-listing/1950s

Others have published that this is the same William O. Douglas. I can't say that he is myself, but I believe this is accepted wisdom.

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 22:40
I could have been famous"

Bronk
07-01-2012, 00:06

Douglas Falls is named after him.

Hairbear
07-01-2012, 06:11
ed bailey jr

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 06:18
I'll try to get famous before '14 rolls around. Then you can all say "I knew that a-hole when he was tic**f!" I promise not to charge any of you for autographs.

Tenderheart
07-01-2012, 17:14
Governor Sanford?

I actually ran into him and his sons on a hike near Pinnacle Mtn. in SC shortly after the scandal. I asked him how his governorship was going and he didn't have much to say.

SawnieRobertson
07-01-2012, 17:47
Probably, just a guess, THE WHOLE FOODS COOKBOOK of which I have a copy. And as for a truly noble, famous, thru-hiker, Justice Douglas as reported by rickb.

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2012, 07:36
Tho she hasn't had the chance yet, American soccer star Abby Wambach has several times expressed an interest in thru-hiking the A.T. I have no doubt she'd not only finish the Trail, she'd OWN it.

brian039
07-02-2012, 11:27
A guy I hiked with got Alec Baldwin to autograph his guidebook in Kent.

tiptoe
07-02-2012, 12:23
There is a shelter in Vermont named for William O. Douglas, I think.

Mags
07-02-2012, 12:36

Mackey is very outspoken. Just not in a good way when it comes standing up for what he believes in.... ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19718742/ns/business-us_business/t/whole-foods-ceos-anonymous-online-life/

Seems like money. :D

Blue Jay
07-03-2012, 20:00

Funny you should mention George. He actually IS thruhiking this year. He goes by the name of Sharkey and is hiking with Rummy. He's going to be pissed that I outed him.

stranger
07-03-2012, 20:46
I sold a dog pack to Sigourney Weaver, a Gore-Tex jacket to Geraldo Rivera, a day pack to Scott Neidermeyer (NJ Devils), some long underwear to Harry Carson (NY Giants 86).

Sadly...none of it was for a thru-hike :(

Springsteen was also in the shop, but I can't verify this personally. The joys of living in New Jersey!

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 20:53
I sold a dog pack to Sigourney Weaver, a Gore-Tex jacket to Geraldo Rivera, a day pack to Scott Neidermeyer (NJ Devils), some long underwear to Harry Carson (NY Giants 86).

Springsteen was also in the shop, but I can't verify this personally. The joys of living in New Jersey!What shop was that Stranger?

Hairbear
07-03-2012, 21:08

Springsteen was also in the shop, but I can't verify this personally. The joys of living in New Jersey!springsteen you didnt get any of his music on your shoe did you.just playin

AndyB
07-05-2012, 08:14
so....it sounds like not very many famous people have thrued, used to a be a lot of famous types around Kent, CT didn't see them on the Trail though.
Stranger runs super classy craiglist ads, always brings in the upper crust

Tabasco
07-05-2012, 10:24
Minnestota Smith.

Hitchin' Post
07-05-2012, 10:45
Governor Sanford?

Dammit, you beat me to it.

Driver8
07-05-2012, 16:42
Governor Sanford?

He certainly was "thru" as governor not long after his purported "hike."

Astro
07-06-2012, 16:12
http://www.atconf.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers/2000-milers-listing/1950s

Others have published that this is the same William O. Douglas. I can't say that he is myself, but I believe this is accepted wisdom.

From multiple sources I have read this is the same person as the Supreme Court Justice.

1azarus
07-06-2012, 16:21
I believe president obama hiked part of the appalachian trail in the shenandoah national park a couple of years ago. Can we move this to the forbidden topic list yet?:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

WingedMonkey
07-06-2012, 16:24
He certainly was "thru" as governor not long after his purported "hike."

Actually impeachment failed, and he finished the remainder of his term.

:-?

daddytwosticks
07-06-2012, 16:39
Bill Bryson :)

Hikemor
07-06-2012, 21:29
Bill Bryson did not thru-hike, by his own admission.

Ed Garvey in Appalachian Hiker listed "The Honorable William O. Douglas" as the 18th 2000 miler. He was not annotated as a thru-hiker. Garvey references a September 1969 issue of Appalachian Trailway News as his source.

There is no doubt in my mind that the former Supreme Court Justice and 1958 2000 miler are the same person. I have never heard this questioned before. Then, as now, 2000 miler status was self reported. A hiker masquerading as a former SC Justice or a former SC Justice falsifying a relatively obscure accomplishment does not make sense. Still, to my recollection, Douglas' only connection to the AT seems to be his 2000 miler hikes. He was neither instrumental in establishing the AT nor later furthering its cause.

My vote for most famous thru-hiker is Earl Shaffer or, maybe, Lone Wolf. :eek:

DaveSail
07-06-2012, 22:16
Not a " Thru " of course , but Henry David Thoreau climbed Katahdin in the 1840s .
Perhaps he WOULD have done a " TRhru " if it had been available ! David

stranger
07-07-2012, 00:48
What shop was that Stranger?

Campmor in Paramus NJ

rocketsocks
07-07-2012, 01:03
Campmor in Paramus NJRight-on what timing.Great store too.