PDA

View Full Version : Funeral and no way to get back on Trail

IrishBASTARD
06-30-2012, 07:24
Due to a sudden death amongst a group of friends...I am home for a third time during my attempt of a thru 2012. Its been three times since I have come home for such a sad occurance. Wondering if anyone would be able or is living in the NYC Metro area...to give me a ride to the trail head I left off at? Have tried shuttles prior to great failure on their part. Had heat stroke and fell outside of Deleware Water Gap...the Shuttle driver charged me one hundred just to take me to my motel. Asked if their was a Hospital around..."oh well thats another hundred". These drivers overall are blood suckers plain and simple...they DO no service for us but take take TAKE. Would like help from an actual Hiker who understands the need of the trail...the yearning to get back out. Any help or further needed info as such where I left off please PM me. Will not post such information in such a public forum...have had too many prior issues.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 07:41
I'm sorry, you may be a nice guy, but I would just caution anyone about picking you up. You've gone by at least two names here on WB. In one post, you start praising Roadside when it was discovered by several others that you were both. (Don't you just hate the Internet??) We didn't hear much from you on WB after that episode. I'm not trying to be hateful, but I also believe it would be wrong for me not to alert others as to your previous behavior.

You might want to think about a third name...

IrishBASTARD
06-30-2012, 07:53
Unlike you Sir/Madam I have gone by only one name on WB. This is a forum to get out the word. Whether or not I was said "Roadside" which I am not is not relevant. As such I have helped my fellow thrus which you are not one...and have been helped as such. Unless you can garner me help would suggest stop spreading slander and lies.

Lyle
06-30-2012, 07:55
I've been section hiking for years now. Each and Every shuttle driver I've used has been friendly, courteous, prompt, safe, and dependable. Yes, some charge more than others, that is their right. Shuttles take a large chunk of time out of their day, vehicles are expensive to operate and maintain, and they all have different motives for doing shuttles - some for pleasure and to help hikers, some to make some extra cash. I'm just thankful that there are folks willing to provide this service. I have never had a shuttle driver jack the price up from what they estimated, just the opposite.

Perhaps your experience was with one dishonest shuttle operator - not a good reason to come online and trash shuttles in general, and not a good reason to avoid all other shuttle services. Or perhaps your experience had more to do with your attitude - your emergency does not translate into a shuttle operators emergency.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 07:59
OK - Just received a PM from Irish so wanted to not spread rumors, but instead show what went on WB. Here are the posts:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-83272.html

Kind of strange that both Irish/Roadside got off the trail for a funeral at the same time...

IrishBASTARD
06-30-2012, 08:04
They provide said "Service" because they can and do make more money then is needed. THE ONLY TIME I have seen a shuttle service not screw the little guy aka the Hiker...is a wonderful B&B in Lexington Va. Ran by w fantastic couple by the name of Ken & Joyce. Ken slacked packed me for thirty cents a mile...no seriously THIRTY CENTS A MILE. That to me is not only a true Gentleman but he would above all doubt...help in a needed ride to see a DR. These people know what they can get when called upon...and grab it as a tick on a hikers leg. Attitude how would you feel if you fell and hit your head? Not very good they cannot base cost on "attitude" thats just inane. But also the said shuttler has been reported to my State as evading taxes...as all shuttlers do. You want the benefit of a second income you must pay TAXES...its the Law Federal state and local. So I suggest shuttlers as I believe Sir you are one...deeming such an attitude that would start paying taxes on this income. But also I am thru hiking therefore am bled dry and sick of said leaches.

Lyle
06-30-2012, 08:13
If I had a medical emergency, I would call EMS. See what they charge you. 30 cents a mile is WAY below what it costs to drive and maintain a vehicle. YOU, Sir, are taking advantage of these fine folks. But just because some folks offer services for free or below cost out of the kindness of their hearts, is no reason to trash the folks who are doing it as a business. Find someone else or an alternative if you don't like the price. NO ONE is obligated to give you a discount for your vacation.

Lyle
06-30-2012, 08:17
About your idiotic conclusion that I am a shuttler, did you even look at where I live?

Based on your attitudes displayed here, I probably would offer to call you a cab rather than give you a ride in my vehicle, and would feel that I went out of my way for you.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 08:20
If I had a medical emergency, I would call EMS. See what they charge you. 30 cents a mile is WAY below what it costs to drive and maintain a vehicle. YOU, Sir, are taking advantage of these fine folks. But just because some folks offer services for free or below cost out of the kindness of their hearts, is no reason to trash the folks who are doing it as a business. Find someone else or an alternative if you don't like the price. NO ONE is obligated to give you a discount for your vacation.

I would agree totally. From everything I have read in the AT Journals and seen at other areas, no one gets rich providing shuttle services except the larger companies who do this. Many of these private shuttle drivers lose money and a few of them have gone out of business.

This guy was exposed on WB months ago. But I truly did not repeat this to start rumors or rehash it, but rather because I just wanted new members to be extremely cautious before offering this guy a ride that he apparently wants for free.

IrishBASTARD
06-30-2012, 08:29
WIAPilot its ignorant and foolish people as you are one in my eyes. Its ignorance of the mind and being Visually malnourished that is your hate speech. To condemn an attempting thru hiker being near broke. By choice as having done numerous acts of trail magic...for thru hikers and section hikers alike. To help my fellow man is an honour deemed to me...to help a fellow hiker is a true privilege. Whether from buying ice cream bars in Dalesville for Hiking brothers...to Paying for a hikers bus ticket home so he did not have to hitch. Deem myself being caring of all fellow hikers...who in turn are kind to me in more then words. Not to ask for anything in return but know I made someone smile or happy to get to their final destination. Its perverse hatred that you share with us all whether on or off trail. Thankfully for you if you were injured I would not stroll away...though I am sure you would from me. But help when called upon for any hiker injured or needing a way home. Thankfully your ignoranct stance on like and your non existance love of others deems fit...to call you a unglorious addition to the realm of Hikers.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 08:36
WIAPilot its ignorant and foolish people as you are one in my eyes. Its ignorance of the mind and being Visually malnourished that is your hate speech. To condemn an attempting thru hiker being near broke. By choice as having done numerous acts of trail magic...for thru hikers and section hikers alike. To help my fellow man is an honour deemed to me...to help a fellow hiker is a true privilege. Whether from buying ice cream bars in Dalesville for Hiking brothers...to Paying for a hikers bus ticket home so he did not have to hitch. Deem myself being caring of all fellow hikers...who in turn are kind to me in more then words. Not to ask for anything in return but know I made someone smile or happy to get to their final destination. Its perverse hatred that you share with us all whether on or off trail. Thankfully for you if you were injured I would not stroll away...though I am sure you would from me. But help when called upon for any hiker injured or needing a way home. Thankfully your ignoranct stance on like and your non existance love of others deems fit...to call you a unglorious addition to the realm of Hikers.

At least there is just one of me and not a split personality. And it is because I do care about the Hiking Community that I issued a caution.

Lyle
06-30-2012, 08:42

WOW! :)

'Nuf said.

Cookerhiker
06-30-2012, 08:42
Your credibility is zilch. I don't believe anything you say.

Coffee Rules!
06-30-2012, 09:12
Wow. This guy is not only giving the Irish a bad name, he's not doing much for bastards either.

bfayer
06-30-2012, 09:17
http://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/port-authority-bus-terminal.html

It is called a bus. They are really cool, you get on and they take you places. That is what most hikers do anyway.

kayak karl
06-30-2012, 09:30
when i estimate a construction job i have a 20% A-Hole fee button. IF i get the job, i want extra money just for putting up with the idiot. i don't know if this translates to the shuttle industry?

IrishBASTARD
06-30-2012, 09:37
Karl, That would be illegal to base a rate on an employer. Its called price fixing and is a felony in most states. Firstly am not an idiot have dual Master's Degrees in Governmental based fields. But to truly trust someone of your age with construction jobs would be a hazard.

IrishBASTARD
06-30-2012, 09:39
http://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/port-authority-bus-terminal.html

It is called a bus. They are really cool, you get on and they take you places. That is what most hikers do anyway.
Well aware what ****ty sacarsm is and yours is just plain dumb.

Biggie Master
06-30-2012, 09:42
Wow. This guy is not only giving the Irish a bad name, he's not doing much for bastards either.

It's one thing if he's making the Irish look bad, but we shouldn't tolerate his misrepresentation of the bastard community! :D

I don't understand how the IB can have such a generous "trail angel" attitude toward other thru hikers, but have such disdain for shuttle operators who also support the hiking community. His posts and possibly his multiple WB user profiles, seems very inconsistent to me -- perhaps bi-polar-ish...

Spokes
06-30-2012, 09:45
Sometimes I'd rather read spam posts from people in Vietnam trying to sell bootleg DVD's on WB.

Coffee Rules!
06-30-2012, 09:49
Firstly am not an idiot have dual Master's Degrees in Governmental based fields. But to truly trust someone of your age with construction jobs would be a hazard.

Firstly, yes, you are.

Secondly, degrees are no proof of intelligence. My ex wife has a master's degree but she's barely capable of breathing without instructions.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 09:51
Karl, That would be illegal to base a rate on an employer. Its called price fixing and is a felony in most states. Firstly am not an idiot have dual Master's Degrees in Governmental based fields. But to truly trust someone of your age with construction jobs would be a hazard.

Are you kidding me? This kind of reasoning sounds like the guy didn't graduate from elementary school. Karl - I write the Contract Proposals for my company too and I hear you loud and clear!

And Irish - you are the one who is stuck with little funds and unable to ride a bus. While Karl is hiking and kayaking along. I think this tells the rest of us who has the brains...

Spokes
06-30-2012, 09:53
Wonder why that shuttle driver charged him $100 bucks? Oh, I see.........

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 09:56
Sometimes I'd rather read spam posts from people in Vietnam trying to sell bootleg DVD's on WB.

Can't blame you, one of the spam posts was trying to sell us "127 hours" I think that should get partial credit for relevance.:o

Water Rat
06-30-2012, 10:17
Don't worry - I am sure the awesome Roadside will offer to give him a ride to where he needs to go. I mean, they did have such a wonderful time chillin' together...

Rasty
06-30-2012, 10:23

Roadside a.k.a. Irish Bastard. A business can change what it likes for a service or goods, except certain industries or during a declared emergency. If you don't like the price you have the option of walking or shopping for a better price. The A-hole upcharge is a perfectly acceptable practice. Two masters degrees, really? I learned this concept in sixth grade civics class.

Coffee Rules!
06-30-2012, 10:29
Two masters degrees, really? I learned this concept in sixth grade civics class.

Pwned, like it's cool.

ChinMusic
06-30-2012, 10:33

Well, there was at least two of em. They could split the cost.

dlittle
06-30-2012, 10:37
If I were a suttle driver, I'd honk as I drove by.

Every shuttle I've used has been great. One wouldn't even accept a tip. But, I guess I was friendly, didn't belittle him and enjoyed the conversation.

Mountain Mike
06-30-2012, 10:42
From his other posts it sounds like even Roadside "Mary Ellened" him a while ago. lol!

Well, there was at least two of em. They could split the cost.

waywardfool
06-30-2012, 11:02
Firstly am not an idiot have dual Master's Degrees in Governmental based fields.

Oh my, it is worse than we thought..he is a trained bureaucrat, too. =O

Wise Old Owl
06-30-2012, 11:26

Smart Driver, wonder what shingle he has on the wall....

bfayer
06-30-2012, 11:48
Oh my, it is worse than we thought..he is a trained bureaucrat, too. =O

I doubt it, even a trained bureaucrat knows that price fixing is two or more independent businesses in the same market collaborating on setting prices to override the natural forces of the free market and reduce competition. I have never met an educated person that confused price fixing with free enterprise.

Cookerhiker
06-30-2012, 12:44
Wonder if Irish Bastard (or Roadside) made it to Joe-to-go's yet?:D

ChinMusic
06-30-2012, 12:48
Wonder if Irish Bastard (or Roadside) made it to Joe-to-go's yet?:D

The possibilities are endless.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 14:33
OMG,Take a nap,and wake up to a "What the F***"I would love to hear from some that are on trail with these two,I'm thinking he's a troll,cause like the Kent Lady,No one can be that rediculas.....can they?

sailsET
06-30-2012, 14:49
No kidding!!! What a virulent thread.

sailsET
06-30-2012, 14:53
Every shuttle I've used has been great. One wouldn't even accept a tip. But, I guess I was friendly, didn't belittle him and enjoyed the conversation.
I got a shuttle near Dennis Cove that was far less than I expected. It was a long drive, to get from where I ditched the trail back to my car. Considering time and gas, the shuttle driver was more than fair, and I was extremely grateful that there was someone willing to do it.

Rasty
06-30-2012, 15:05
OMG,Take a nap,and wake up to a "What the F***"I would love to hear from some that are on trail with these two,I'm thinking he's a troll,cause like the Kent Lady,No one can be that rediculas.....can they?

Rocket - Wouldn't it be three people?:D

The Old Chief
06-30-2012, 15:49
Irish Bastard, if you are nearly broke as you've stated, the last place someone needs to take you is the AT in New York. Expenses are going to be way higher for the rest of the trip to Katahdin. Do you remember your posts last year when you stated that anyone who leaves the trail for any reason is no longer a thru-hiker? By your own admission you have now left the trail 3 times so, my friend, you are now by your own definition a section hiker. Why don't you just get a job (can you say "do you want fries with that") and when you have the funds return to the trail and not be a burden on anybody?

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 16:12
Rocket - Wouldn't it be three people?:DHoly cow,your right,I think the record was set by Sybil,back in 1970 somthin.

Wise Old Owl
06-30-2012, 16:18
OK ....S,,,,s,,s,,s,,s,s,,stop..... ya owls stutter.:p

TD55
06-30-2012, 16:26
But if IB is Roadside and Roadside is IB, each having a duel personality, doesn't that make 4?

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 16:29
But if IB is Roadside and Roadside is IB, each having a duel personality, doesn't that make 4?Holy cow,your right,sybil had the record back in 1970 somthin:D

Cookerhiker
06-30-2012, 16:33
But if IB is Roadside and Roadside is IB, each having a duel personality, doesn't that make 4?

If it's a dual personality, then you're correct.

But if it's a duel personality, then who would win the fight?

Sorry....Don't you just love homophones?:D

TD55
06-30-2012, 16:37
Well, if we count the little voices that pop up in each head, the number turns to 8, which may mean they often have to make contact with Judge Roberts to make a decision.

ocourse
06-30-2012, 17:01
The original poster needs a ride; if you can't help please just move on to something else, or take a hike. WB is about hiking! If the moderators were on the job they would have deleted this; "he's a pretty pathetic character seeking attention" from here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-83272.html since it is a personal attack. Only facts matter, but there are a lot of posts by people who don't know the facts and are just bored or angry about something.

kayak karl
06-30-2012, 17:10
wb is about hiking!

...... Lol ......

ocourse
06-30-2012, 17:12
lol yourself, but you can't dispute what I posted!

TD55
06-30-2012, 17:43
lol yourself, but you can't dispute what I posted!
If the OP was only looking for a ride he should of left out the rant about blood sucking shuttle drivers. He gave the opinion that shuttle drivers were mostly greedy and only out to overcharge hikers. The folks who many hikers count on shouldn't be unfairly attacked without the hiking community sticking up for them, or at least giving alternate opinions.

The Old Chief
06-30-2012, 17:55
I'll be glad to dispute it. If you've read most of IB's posts you'll see that he's the world champion at personal attacks. If all he was seeking was a ride in this thread, why the attack on shuttle drivers? Look at the personal attack he made on WTA Pilot in this thread? The admins do a good job of monitoring this site but when someone like IB spews his venom on this site the hiking community should be allowed to discredit him. Bored? no. Angry. Well, yeah, I am a little angry at you because you think he should be allowed to say anything he pleases on this site (and many of those things proven lies) without any feedback or opposing views. I do go for hikes whenever I can. I wish IB, the section hiker, would do the same.

vamelungeon
06-30-2012, 18:42
Hahahahaha!!! Best thread I've seen in a while on here! Endless lulz!

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 18:44
I love giving people the benefit of my doubt,but I can no longer trust he's legit,sign Kneepaw

PS Ain't mad at him....don't really know him,but then does anyone?

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 19:14
Firstly, yes, you are.

Secondly, degrees are no proof of intelligence. My ex wife has a master's degree but she's barely capable of breathing without instructions.

I hope you told her just to exhale.

Rasty
06-30-2012, 19:17
Firstly, yes, you are.

I hope you told her just to exhale.

Sometimes silence is the best option!

bfayer
06-30-2012, 19:40
The original poster WANTS a ride; if you can't help please just move on to something else, or take a hike. WB is about hiking! If the moderators were on the job they would have deleted this; "he's a pretty pathetic character seeking attention" from here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-83272.html since it is a personal attack. Only facts matter, but there are a lot of posts by people who don't know the facts and are just bored or angry about something.

In my first post on this thread I gave him the link to the TA Bus terminal, where you can literally get a ride to anywhere a road will take you. Instead of thanking me he called my sarcasm dumb.

Instead of researching a bus ticket to an unknown location on the trail (by the way most people looking for a ride let people know where they are going) he spent the day un-making friends in the AT hiking community.

These are not the actions of someone who wants to go hiking on the AT. IMHO

By the way I fixed you post for you :)

kayak karl
06-30-2012, 19:47
Sometimes silence is the best option!
that what i was told "You have the right to remain silent", but when will i learn :(

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 20:01
that what i was told "You have the right to remain silent", but when will i learn :(+1..LOL,LMAO,bada bing.