PDA

View Full Version : Equine Encephalis makes Lyme look tame; Florida outbreak

WingedMonkey
06-30-2012, 10:19
This morning state agriculture officials confirmed that a sick horse that was put down in Wellington last week was suffering from Eastern Equine Encephalitis and the mosquito that transmits this virus has been found in local traps.

The virus, referred to as EEEV, is one of a group of viruses that is transmitted by mosquitoes and can cause inflammation of the brain.

The CDC reports about one third of all people with EEE die from it.

Or, if that's not the mosquito that gets you, how about:

But EEEV isn’t the only mosquito borne illness. In 2011, 24 people were diagnosed with West Nile Virus they acquired while in Florida and seven people acquired dengue - two of those cases originated in Palm Beach County.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/authorities-report-wellington-horse-had-equine-enc/nPh5w/

10-K
06-30-2012, 10:23
Hmm.. I might rather get bit by a snake.

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 10:25

Who are you and what have you done with 10-K?

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 10:31
Not too thrilled about this as I actually researched it after reading Bryson's book. It is transmitted by Mosquitos and they love me. :o Hopefully, the 100% DEET and insect netting will protect me. I would urge others not to take chances this year and use insect repellent, etc. Even if you survive, the outcome isn't pretty...

WingedMonkey
06-30-2012, 10:38

Does you wife have insurance on you? I've got a mail drop planed for you on the Long Trail.

:-?

Snowleopard
06-30-2012, 12:07
From memory: In New England, EEE is considerably more common (but still not common) in South East Mass than in the rest of Mass and unlikely in Western Mass, W. Conn. and VT, NH, ME. So you're very unlikely to get it on the AT in New England.
West Nile is more likely in Eastern Mass (Boston and suburbs) and unlikely in Western Mass, VT, NH and ME. I'm not sure about CT and NY.

You should take precautions against mosquitoes (long pants, long sleeve shirt, headnet, bug bivy or tent, DEET). When mosquitoes are bad you'll be miserable without these precautions anyway. But, EEE and West Nile aren't likely on the AT from Mass and north. Lyme disease and other tick borne diseases are a greater concern right now. However, EEE and W. Nile are likely spreading.

Malaria used to be present in southern New England but has been eradicated for a looong time.