PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been asked for money on the AT?

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 12:03
ATMilkman gave me the inspiration for this question. It got me to wondering if hikers are routinely hit up for money on the trail by other hikers or what? And if so, how did you handle it? If you have never been asked for money, that would be helpful to know as well.

Lyle
06-30-2012, 12:10
Been hiking for well over 30 years. Have been asked for a loan a handful of times, only by folks who I knew well. I have also borrowed a few bucks from friends on occasion. Never stiffed anyone, never been stiffed.

I've never been asked for money by strangers.

atmilkman
06-30-2012, 12:12
You already know my take on this, but that's pretty much in the case of a habitual offender. And, just depends on who it is too. I kinda would go on gut feeling also, but my gut has been wrong before and with that said it's never been wrong twice. In the case of something happening to the food I'll buy them a sandwich. (once)

ChinMusic
06-30-2012, 12:17
I have read where a well-heeled thruhiker was just chilling on a sidewalk and a passerby offered them money.

At some point I guess there is a fine line between a thru and the homeless.

Iceaxe
06-30-2012, 12:40
I have read where a well-healed thruhiker was just chilling on a sidewalk and a passerby offered them money.

At some point I guess there is a fine line between a thru and the homeless.

This actually happened to me at the gas station/c-store on the outskirts of Duncannon.
A person dropped a ten dollar bill in my lap while I was stuffing my face with food.

In Kent CT, three of us hikers had our entire breakfast bought and paid for by a group of Veterans.

In Leadville Colorado a person handed me 20 bucks in the pizza parlor after overhearing me talk about how my CDT hike was going.

I could go on and on with this..

Even though I never had money problems and i certainly did not solicit money from others, people wanted to give me money.

You refuse twice.. but the third time is bordering on rudeness.

It is very humbling to discover just how generous people really are.

I was never asked for money on any of my hikes, but i did return the good "karma" when i had the chance.

People are awesome.

Wise Old Owl
06-30-2012, 13:10
its the age old question between Donation and Entitlement, I prefer to give, and never expect return,

Yes I have given in the past.

Velvet Gooch
06-30-2012, 13:17
Tell them you only carry coins; carry a single SBA Dollar coin for effect. The weight penalty should frighten them away

kayak karl
06-30-2012, 13:32
it happens, but not much. the most was in august SOBO by the NOBO's :)
i was just loading kayaks on the van and got asked for money. in my own driveway. told my granddaughter to get a JOB.

RockDoc
06-30-2012, 15:03
Last year on the Blue Ridge parkway in early May an old fellow was parking a van near the trail and hailing hikers to come over and have a soda. He had a big sign on his van about "helping hikers". I could tell this old fellow was a hurtin' puppy... barely keeping body and soul together.

Of course I assumed it was trail magic, so I had a soda. But then he pressured me for money so that he could keep on "helping hikers". I thought what the heck. Gave him $2.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 15:18
Last year on the Blue Ridge parkway in early May an old fellow was parking a van near the trail and hailing hikers to come over and have a soda. He had a big sign on his van about "helping hikers". I could tell this old fellow was a hurtin' puppy... barely keeping body and soul together.

Of course I assumed it was trail magic, so I had a soda. But then he pressured me for money so that he could keep on "helping hikers". I thought what the heck. Gave him $2.

That was kind of you. I am sure that there will be places on the trail that if a van suddenly appears with Diet Dr Pepper, I would give him at least that!

Mountain Mike
06-30-2012, 15:27
Every time I eat at a restraunt, buy food at a store, or stop at a motel. Wish these people realized I was thru-hiking. (just kidding)

BlackJack1
06-30-2012, 15:31
Twice I was given money without asking but it was because the funds didn't clear the bank when I thought they would and I had no food at all. People are more generous in the winter because there are less thru hikers like me.

TheCheek
07-01-2012, 10:08
This actually happened to me at the gas station/c-store on the outskirts of Duncannon.
A person dropped a ten dollar bill in my lap while I was stuffing my face with food.

In Kent CT, three of us hikers had our entire breakfast bought and paid for by a group of Veterans.

In Leadville Colorado a person handed me 20 bucks in the pizza parlor after overhearing me talk about how my CDT hike was going.

I could go on and on with this..

Even though I never had money problems and i certainly did not solicit money from others, people wanted to give me money.

You refuse twice.. but the third time is bordering on rudeness.

It is very humbling to discover just how generous people really are.

I was never asked for money on any of my hikes, but i did return the good "karma" when i had the chance.

People are awesome.

I found this to be the most accurate description based on my experiences as well. Only did one thru hike but had money offered unsolicited at least twice, maybe 3 times, and had entire restaurant meals purchased too. They'll still keep pushing it too even after you tell them you're doing fine, have enough money etc. So yes it's rude to refuse a 3rd time.

I also suspect its different for thru hikers because you look a lot more like a homeless person than most section hikers.

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 10:41
I'm starting to think I should carry a sign that says "NOT homeless. Don't need help, but thank you kindly."

moldy
07-01-2012, 10:42
The worst offenders were the trail clubs and the ATC.

WingedMonkey
07-01-2012, 10:53

You forgot the National Park and the Forest Service, they are usually on your rant list too.

:p

atmilkman
07-01-2012, 11:06
moldy why is this? please share.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 11:12
I would not call them offenders - Moldy - poor choice of words... IMO.

scree
07-01-2012, 13:22
Carry a few bills of Zimbabwean currency (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-5-100-TRILLION-ZIMBABWE-NOTES-BILLS-MONEY-w-BCW-CURRENCY-HOLDERS-/400307150390) for any moochers.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 14:06
it happens, but not much. the most was in august SOBO by the NOBO's :)
i was just loading kayaks on the van and got asked for money. in my own driveway. told my granddaughter to get a JOB.Oh you got me hook line and sinker on this!,also this I can relate to.

Never on the trail has anyone asked me for money,but for years I was a mark for bumming smokes,there could be 20 peolpe standing around smoking,and the one jones-in always seemed to sus me out,I guess I have that I'll hook you up face-glad I quit smoking though-also give a few bums money,when I was young-but know I'd just put me hands in me pockets and pull out some rabbit ears,and say,"I was just gonna ask you for money too" But yes If I could help someone...I would,to an extent o'coarse.sign Bramble Bush

Heyoka
07-01-2012, 14:17
its the age old question between Donation and Entitlement, I prefer to give, and never expect return,

Yes I have given in the past.

This is not an age old question but a recent one (from an anthropological perspective). The natural circumstance of birth into a tribe means that we ARE entitled to survival resources acquired by the communal effort. I would say that it's exceedingly rare to come across someone who understands that our economy is a machine that transforms natural energy into human survival energy aka HUMAN LIFE. All money is an abstraction of human life. There are places in the world where a dollar IS the difference between a humans life and death. I kind of get off on the wendy's value menu from this perspective. Makes a dollar cheeseburger luxuriously decadent to consider the last bite as someones last breath.

People aren't wonderful. They survive according to rules and those rules condition behavior. I find it interesting how often karma is mentioned in connection to "goodness". I mean, to me, the whole concept of worrying about punishment or reward is just a maturation of the santa claus scenario. I mean the idea of a force that balances our desired conditions with our actions is absurd. Why repeat such pablum?

Dumb topic anyhow. I mean, like wia is gonna base her actions on this thread?

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 14:43
This is not an age old question but a recent one (from an anthropological perspective). The natural circumstance of birth into a tribe means that we ARE entitled to survival resources acquired by the communal effort. I would say that it's exceedingly rare to come across someone who understands that our economy is a machine that transforms natural energy into human survival energy aka HUMAN LIFE. All money is an abstraction of human life. There are places in the world where a dollar IS the difference between a humans life and death. I kind of get off on the wendy's value menu from this perspective. Makes a dollar cheeseburger luxuriously decadent to consider the last bite as someones last breath.

People aren't wonderful. They survive according to rules and those rules condition behavior. I find it interesting how often karma is mentioned in connection to "goodness". I mean, to me, the whole concept of worrying about punishment or reward is just a maturation of the santa claus scenario. I mean the idea of a force that balances our desired conditions with our actions is absurd. Why repeat such pablum?

Dumb topic anyhow. I mean, like wia is gonna base her actions on this thread?Whatever dude,"it takes a village" can't help but notice your location,lots of free thinkers down that way?,I can count at least 10 new members from that area,hmm,friends of yours?

"Give to Get"...like you give an opinion,and in return you get this reply,It's one of lifes little secrets.Freud spoke about this

"alway's do for otheres and let others do for you"~Bob Dylan

Nothing new about any of this,"And told Noah to biuld a boat 40 feet high" He did this and now we got you,get it ?

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 14:46

Trite, writing that gets the simple message across is important while blogging. While I have a sense of honor and a little pride, I would not ask a stranger or possibly a friend for a handout. Philosophical this is not recent - Jane Goodall brought to light this:

"Among Goodall's more significant discoveries were the close-knit social ties and complex relationships within chimpanzee groups, maintained by networks of grooming and food sharing. She noted that the powerful loving bonds between mothers and their offspring, and laterally among siblings, created mother-centric groupings. These, along with sex, food sharing and grooming, were the glue of chimpanzee society."

When a Monkey succeeds in a food source they eat in the order of the strongest males first then the females, this allows the males to continue to hunt - but a non sibling will receive a handout to prevent starvation of the tribe. Should the lesser or adolescent males win a food source they are expected to do the same.

Considerable study amongst remote tribal societies have shown instances of this culture occurring without money. Why question the emotional "karma" when people are emotional about kindness?

What was this about ? " I mean, like wia is gonna base her actions on this thread?"

ChinMusic
07-01-2012, 14:48

So, if I offer you a Diet Coke, you immediately calculate "what my angle is"?

Don H
07-01-2012, 14:50
This actually happened to me at the gas station/c-store on the outskirts of Duncannon.A person dropped a ten dollar bill in my lap while I was stuffing my face with food.In 2011 I was sitting at the Doyle waiting for it to open for lunch when an elderly lady pulled up and parked in front of the bank next door. I waved and said hi when she walked in. A few minutes later she came out and walked over to me and handed me a $10. I politely refused and tried to give it back to her but she would not accept it. I assured her that I was OK and didn't need the money but she said I was "refusing her a blessing" if I didn't take it. I took the money and thanked her, she then walked down the street with a hand full of tens. Iceaxe, sounds like the same lady.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 14:57
I don't Chin - but he might tell you to get him a cherry regular coke instead.:rolleyes: Yes I am being sarcastic in good fun.

WIAPilot
07-01-2012, 15:01
For this being such a "dumb topic," Heyoka sure did go to great lengths to answer it. :-?

ChinMusic
07-01-2012, 15:05
Whatever dude,"it takes a village" can't help but notice your location,lots of free thinkers down that way?,I can count at least 10 new members from that area,hmm,friends of yours?

Maybe we will, at some later date, have a "How Do You Shake a "Heyoka?" (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85851-How-Do-You-Shake-a-quot-Mary-Ellen-quot)" thread.

I would be looking for Mary Ellen to save me............

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 15:18
Maybe we will, at some later date, have a "How Do You Shake a "Heyoka?" (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85851-How-Do-You-Shake-a-quot-Mary-Ellen-quot)" thread.

I would be looking for Mary Ellen to save me............I hope not,I kinda like how he thinks,flawed as it may be.

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 15:20

Dude, whatever kind of blazing you're doing, quit bogarting. Pass that sh--stuff!

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 15:22
For this being such a "dumb topic," Heyoka sure did go to great lengths to answer it. :-?

That was my second thought after wondering what he was smoking.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 15:22

I would be looking for Mary Ellen to save me............Call it a hunch,but that dog syill has some fight in him.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 15:28
For this being such a "dumb topic," Heyoka sure did go to great lengths to answer it. :-?Must come from strong stock,maybe the fugowies tribe.

SunnyWalker
07-01-2012, 15:30
Its hard to believe the cons had made it onto the trail. I suppose there are exceptions to this. Like many I'll help when I can when someone is in need. the key here is "need". I met a fellow at the Walasyi (spelling off, sorry) who went to town, came back drunk, wanted help for food. I told him to go to bed.

Canyonero
07-01-2012, 16:48
So, if I offer you a Diet Coke, you immediately calculate "what my angle is"?

You think I'm fat, or else you would have offered me a regular Coke.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 16:50
You think I'm fat, or else you would have offered me a regular Coke.

No it's one of those "little plastic bottles....from NYC."

atmilkman
07-01-2012, 17:22

When your post mentioned tribe and entitlement it reminded me of when I was back in high school and the bussed in inter-city students felt they were entitled to bum money from us. They would come up and say "hey man, lemme hola quarta" or "gimme a quarta". It didn't take long to figure out why they were approaching so then we would just ask them first and "they be sayin' sheeeeeeeee" before they could even get their entitled mouths open.