PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Section Hiking

gr8fulyankee
04-20-2005, 11:21
I am looking for anybod(y/ies) interested in doing some section hiking from the GREATER-Atlanta-Roswell. They should have a vehicle so we can park one @ each of the section we are hiking. I tend to hike about 9 miles a day since I don't hike every weekend (unfortunatlly). Don't care if you are m/f old or young.
Usually I like to take off Friday after work and drive to the end section I am going to hike, Leave one car and then get to trailhead to start and hike in a couple of more miles. Sometimes in the dark but usually when still light out. This allows for those 30 miles sections for a slower hiker like me.
PM me if you are interested.

darkstar
03-22-2006, 00:06
What's up Yankee,

I'm all for some N. Georgia section hiking. I've been wanting to do Springer to Neels for a while now. Let me know if you still up for it. Where you from in NH? I'm from a small town in upstate NY, in the southern adirondacks. I've been homesick for 16 years now so I feel your pain.

Send me an email and we'll get something cooking...

[email protected]

enLightened One
04-05-2006, 22:32
Hello Fellow Yankees;

I am from Connecticut, now in Lithia Springs, Ga. I have been toying with the idea of doing Springer to Tenn. border. I am not sure I have the time, would like to hear from some that have done it to get an idea of the time frame. I usually like to take a moderate pace.....

If you may be planning a hike on the Georgia section of the AT keep me in the loop, email is [email protected]

Thanks

joel137
04-06-2006, 01:04
If by Tennessee border you mean Fontana, I'd figure on 14 days, quite possibly a day or two longer depending on what "moderate"

Retsuzen
05-27-2006, 02:08
it usually takes a medioka hiker 2 weeks to hike the GA part, so you know that youll be in NC in 2 weeks, and thats from the State Park. So I figure somewhere around 2 months all according to how you hike though. For myself it would probably end up being 2 months from state park to Tenn border.

Phreak
05-27-2006, 19:05
it usually takes a medioka hiker 2 weeks to hike the GA part

Is this accurate? It seems a little long to hike the GA section... I'd imagine it'd take a newbie a couple of weeks to hike it but anyone with any trail experience should be able to do it in a week or less.

NINpigNIN
05-27-2006, 20:28
That seems a bit long to me. It would be an average of 5-7 miles per day (depending upon if you take the approach trail from Amicalola and where you get off the trail).

June 3 myself, rlse & eightiesguy are starting from springer (we're getting on the trail at the USFS-42 crossing .9 miles from Springer, hiking to the summit then backtracking to the road crossing and heading north) to Standing Indian shelter (then backtracking the .9 mile back to Deep Gap to exit the trail). We figure it'll be about 84.9 miles on the AT plus any side trails, and we're alloting 9 days and averaging about 10 miles per day (day 9 is the 0.9 mile backtrack from Standing Indian to Deep Gap).

greentick
05-27-2006, 20:58
That seems a bit long to me. It would be an average of 5-7 miles per day (depending upon if you take the approach trail from Amicalola and where you get off the trail).

June 3 myself, rlse & eightiesguy are starting from springer (we're getting on the trail at the USFS-42 crossing .9 miles from Springer, hiking to the summit then backtracking to the road crossing and heading north) to Standing Indian shelter (then backtracking the .9 mile back to Deep Gap to exit the trail). We figure it'll be about 84.9 miles on the AT plus any side trails, and we're alloting 9 days and averaging about 10 miles per day (day 9 is the 0.9 mile backtrack from Standing Indian to Deep Gap).

I just finished doing that distance in three 2-2.5 day hikes. Took less than a week all told with a goal of about 12 miles per day lots of breaks for slower group members, enjoying the views etc.

Mountain Man
05-27-2006, 23:10
The average hiker can do it in 7 days with no problem. I'm not an extra fast hiker and I can do it in 5 days hiking fairly long hours with no problem.

Skidsteer
05-28-2006, 07:41
June 3 myself, rlse & eightiesguy are starting from springer (we're getting on the trail at the USFS-42 crossing .9 miles from Springer, hiking to the summit then backtracking to the road crossing and heading north) to Standing Indian shelter (then backtracking the .9 mile back to Deep Gap to exit the trail)

Be sure to catch the view from the top of Standing Indian, if you've never seen it.

The summit is 1.5 miles "North" of the shelter and worth the walk, especially on a clear day.

NINpigNIN
06-04-2006, 20:38
Be sure to catch the view from the top of Standing Indian, if you've never seen it.

The summit is 1.5 miles "North" of the shelter and worth the walk, especially on a clear day.

Thanks for the tip - I'll keep that in mind if we ever actually get to attempt the trip.

Eightiesguy and I left Ohio on Friday afternoon, headed for Franklin NC and around Berea KY the transmission went out on his car, forcing us to abort this attempt (and also forcing my wife to drive down with the kids to pick us up yesterday and for rsle who was already in NC since he left a few hours earlier than us to spend the week with his in-laws rather than on the trail). :(

We're hoping to reschedule for late July, but the unfortunate part is that rsle's wife is rather pregnant and this may have been his last chance to get out on the trail this year.

Skidsteer
06-04-2006, 20:46
Wow, that really stinks. Sorry to hear about the 'trip-killing transmission'.

boydcw
10-17-2006, 19:39
Hello, this is my first post. I'm wondering if it's ok to hike the ga section of the at in early December. The avg. hi temperture is 52 and the avg. low is 28. Can it be done by hiking Mon. thru Sat. if I'm in shape and have the right gear that's light weight? What about getting transportation back to Springer? Thanks.

Phreak
10-17-2006, 19:59
Hello, this is my first post. I'm wondering if it's ok to hike the ga section of the at in early December. The avg. hi temperture is 52 and the avg. low is 28. Can it be done by hiking Mon. thru Sat. if I'm in shape and have the right gear that's light weight? What about getting transportation back to Springer? Thanks.

I love hiking GA in the winter time and typically do 2-3 trips in December each year. Just carry warm clothes and you'll be fine. I've yo-yo'd the GA section in 4 days, so it can be done in your time frame. I'm not sure about getting back to Springer. You can check the local shuttle services. I normally hike out and back on my trips to keep logistics simple.

If you are wanting to solo this section, I could possibly shuttle you back to Springer if you can give me a definite date as to when you'd be finishing. Or I could start from one end and speed hike to you and hike back out with ya. Then give you a ride back to Springer. Just let me know.

B~