PDA

View Full Version : iPhone in battery mode. How long does battery last

10-K
06-30-2012, 16:47
Anybody have any idea how long an iPhone battery will last in airplane mode?

Or better just to turn it off?

Wise Old Owl
06-30-2012, 16:58
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367391,00.asp

Turns out you need to do a little more than just the mode change.

The Cleaner
06-30-2012, 17:00

Or better just to turn it off? I think in somewhere in the settings or maybe one of the battery apps can tell you how long your device will run on various apps. I think my 3GS will stay on several days @airplane mode but I will power it off if I don't plan to use it for several hours.Most of the Map apps are battery drains but they can tell you exactly where you are w/GPS &no cell service.Turn it on get recent data&idea where you are then turn off.Walk&repeat.....

10-K
06-30-2012, 17:16
I think in somewhere in the settings or maybe one of the battery apps can tell you how long your device will run on various apps. I think my 3GS will stay on several days @airplane mode but I will power it off if I don't plan to use it for several hours.Most of the Map apps are battery drains but they can tell you exactly where you are w/GPS &no cell service.Turn it on get recent data&idea where you are then turn off.Walk&repeat.....

Man I've got Neotreks and it doesn't seem to work without cell service. What's up with that?

NickDezern
06-30-2012, 19:39
I have recently hiked 2 different 3 days hikes and i start the hike with my 4GS charged amd on airplane mode. I use it for pictures throughout the hike and took about 50 each trip. I also take it off airplane mode about 2-3 times a day and call home if i find service. Both trips ive had plenty of battery and at least 20% left.

moytoy
06-30-2012, 19:45
Man I've got Neotreks and it doesn't seem to work without cell service. What's up with that?

The GPS is independent of your cell or internet service as long as you have the maps downloaded. I would contact Neotreks.
http://mobile.accuterra.com/index.php/support/

The Cleaner
07-01-2012, 12:18
The only times that I got the GPS to work w/o cell service was on high ridgecrest in winter with clear view of a lot of sky.When I dropped down into a hollow then no more GPS.On a recent trip to the Roan Mtn - Hump mtn I could plot my route most of the way...

verasch
07-01-2012, 12:59

Until it dies. Man, that was easy.

10-K
07-01-2012, 13:03
Until it dies. Man, that was easy.

I like the way you think!

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 13:06
10-K, I am basing my opinion on my Android service- I added a chip for the maps and store a couple of states, the base map is loaded and it should be in there. The Terrain,Satellite, and other maps come only with a cell tower connection. Airplane mode disables the other maps if not stored. It will also disable the GPS. So you use a mode that gives you just the GPS on. At Home you should be able to store more tiles of map after reading the directions.

Selecting Map Mode

On Demand map downloads are enabled while the App is in AccuTerra Map Mode. While tracking, panning and zooming can be done in Google Maps, the “Show Grid” icon providing access to On Demand is disabled. To switch to AccuTerra Mode:
> Tap “Map View” on the upper right of the screen
> A slide dock on the right side of the screen will appear.
> Select the top icon in the slide dock, and a menu will appear at the bottom. Choose “AccuTerra” from the list.
> The “Show Grid” icon will now be illuminated and can be selected.

ChinMusic
07-01-2012, 13:14

Or better just to turn it off?

I can only answer that with "dang long time". I have never played around with it to find out. I tend to turn the phone off on the trail when I know I won't be using it. The only hassle with that is I have to wait for it to "boot back up" if I want to take a quick picture.

hikerboy57
07-01-2012, 13:17
I like the way you think!

the rule is itll hold up for any unimportant tasks,BS, will finally fail as soon as theres a real emergency.(reference murphys law).

The Cleaner
07-01-2012, 14:50
Are they giving away Iphones if you buy a lot of Go-Lite stuff?...(lol)..