PDA

View Full Version : Appy Trails tarp - New gears?

Reid
06-30-2012, 19:50
Anybody got one? Anything to say about it? I know it's just a tarp and works just like the rest of them but I need to get a little something and was wondering about it. The price doesn't look to bad either. Maybe if someone's got one or something else like a HS TT of some kind they want to sale/trade on would be nice. Specially if anyone uses FFL's. And it's been a while since I've gotten out there, probably a year or so but I haven't kept up with gear like I use too either. Is there any new pad's out there? I need something with good support. I believe there was a deal on a pacific something or other pad that looked similar to a BA air core. What's some cheap alternatives on that? I don't know if things have changed on me or if I've just gotten my P's and Q's off lately. I just need to put something new together as I have either given away or sold a lot of my old gear. I have fallen on hard times honestly and as the saying goes when it rains it pours. I really need to get back out there for a few weeks if I can pull it off Lord willing and the creek don't rise. I am less worried about weight these days honestly too but still prefer not to have to set up a tent I like quick and easy. Anyway hope the WB community has been well and God bless all those out there making it happen as we speak.
John

leaftye
06-30-2012, 20:20
Grommets should be replaced with webbing. Also, the pole on the 5 man is too bendy. Replacing the center section with a thicker pole should greatly improve it.

Reid
07-01-2012, 15:17
I don't quite get you. I've got some add on guy out "things" that I figured I would need. I have never liked to tarp with just like an 8x10 but I'm thinking of trying it again. Tell me more about the webbing. I haven't even bought it yet and honestly haven't made up my mind on it. Thanks

leaftye
07-01-2012, 17:29
The grommets will tear if it's windy. Replacing the grommets with webbing tie outs ensures that it'll last longer and do better in storms.

The pole isn't such a big deal, especially since you can hang the peak from a branch. Hanging the AppyTrails tarp tent makes the interior much more usable.

If you don't want to do any mods to this tent, then keep in mind that it's a very nice fair weather tent, but might fail in poor weather.