PDA

View Full Version : Powdered almond milk?

ole slo
07-01-2012, 08:07
I would like to find a source for powdered almond milk. I've looked through this forum and elsewhere on line and the best I cold come up with is almond meal. When you add water you get a substance which looks something like milk but tastes, well... mealy. The only way to salvage it is to filter it and that is way too complicated for my liking. Has anyone heard of such a product in the powdered form?

Maddog
07-01-2012, 08:42
I would like to find a source for powdered almond milk. I've looked through this forum and elsewhere on line and the best I cold come up with is almond meal. When you add water you get a substance which looks something like milk but tastes, well... mealy. The only way to salvage it is to filter it and that is way too complicated for my liking. Has anyone heard of such a product in the powdered form?
A simple search on Yahoo and Google produced multiple results. Just sayin'. Maddog:)

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 10:03
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=almond%20milk%20powder&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aalmond%20milk%20powder&page=1

LaurieAnn
07-06-2012, 15:37
It's simple... make your own using a dehydrator.

freckles
07-10-2012, 13:31
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=almond%20milk%20powder&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aalmond%20milk%20powder&page=1

None of the results are actually almond milk powder, though. The second result, "almond powder," is some kind of artificial stuff- the first three ingredients are sugar, coffee creamer, and glucose. Ew.

freckles
07-10-2012, 13:44
I've also looked for almond milk powder, but I couldn't find a US source for almond milk powder and didn't want to pay to have it shipped overseas. I did find some instructions on making it using a dehydrator though:

http://s3.zetaboards.com/For_My_Jee/topic/7537366/1/

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2012, 20:22
Well one cannot help but try... suggest dropping the vegan thing and go Nido.

HeartFire
07-10-2012, 21:22
https://www.organicbuyersgroup.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=49

coach lou
07-10-2012, 21:24
how does it taste with Via?

karo
07-11-2012, 00:28
Well one cannot help but try... suggest dropping the vegan thing and go Nido.It may not be a "vegan thing", I am interested because I am lactose intolerant. I can have a small amount of dairy, but would not even chance the conseguences on the trial.

pervy_sage
07-11-2012, 01:50

Would that work for making powdered water too?

freckles
07-11-2012, 02:49
Well one cannot help but try... suggest dropping the vegan thing and go Nido.

Wish it was so easy to just "drop the lactose intolerant thing", hah.

theinfamousj
07-12-2012, 01:42
Is powdered almond milk not just almonds that have been powdered, added to water? I made my own soy milk by soaking, cooking, and dehydrating soy beans (to get rid of the things in them that make you fart), and then tossing them in the coffee grinder and making them powdered. Now I just mix soy bean powder in to water to make soy milk on the trail. I got this idea from having made soy milk the real way and straining out the fiber and then wondering why, in fact, I was straining out fiber when fiber is fiber and couldn't hurt me.

I'd imagine that since the process of making almond (or for that matter, rice) milk is similar to making soy milk, grinding up dried almonds might be the way to go, especially since you can eat raw dried almonds without farting so you don't even need to go through the trouble of cooking and dehydrating them first.

off-pher
07-12-2012, 10:40
News flash..........................Milk comes from cows, goats, your mother NOT almonds

bushcraft
07-12-2012, 16:26

Exactly! I do buy it though if I am very busy that month.

freckles
07-12-2012, 22:04
Why the snarky comments about almond milk? Didn't realize it was such a controversial topic!

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2012, 23:45
Wish it was so easy to just "drop the lactose intolerant thing", hah.

Well yes you can. I was highly allergic to many things as a child - Poison Ivy - would almost hospitallize me... I can handle it today with little reaction.....

Alergic to dogs? Get One. 6 months later the reactions stop.

Milk Allergies are now solved with Milk Cookies.... in increasing content. So Yes Lactose intolerance is from avoiding foods, consuming them build immunity. Reduce your sugar intake as much as possible and consume a little milk each day after a few weeks add a little more... the body will fix itself over time....
Oh and I never ment to be snarky.... and Laurie Ann is right the dehydrator roll up tray with a non stick spray should do it....

Milk allergy treated with a new desensitization strategy

Booster Shots: Oddities, musings and news from the
health world

March 21, 2011 (http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/21)|By Shari Roan, Los Angeles Times

Milk allergy is common and stubborn. Children who do not outgrow their milk problems will probably have a lifelong allergy, experts say. But new tactics are emerging to help children become desensitized to milk, including one reported Monday at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (http://jacionline.org/search/quick) in San Francisco.
Desensitization involves giving someone tiny amounts of the substance he or she is allergic to over a period of time so that the body adapts to it without provoking an allergic response. This approach can be successful, studies show, but it does take a long time and a lot of patience.

freckles
07-15-2012, 16:28
Lactose intolerance is NOT the same as a milk allergy, though. An allergy is an immune system response. Lactose intolerance is when your gut doesn't produce lactase, the enzyme needed to digest dairy.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/344206-milk-allergy-vs-lactose-intolerance/

There's no way to permanently improve lactose intolerance- eating yogurt/probiotics or taking dairy supplements helps temporarily, but that's not easy to do on the trail. Eating more dairy doesn't work. Seriously.

Also, not all allergies can be cured through desensitization, and it's definitely not just as easy as "getting a dog" if you're allergic to them. That can actually be really dangerous if you have a severe allergy.

The Old Boot
07-15-2012, 18:33
Lactose intolerance is NOT the same as a milk allergy, though. An allergy is an immune system response. Lactose intolerance is when your gut doesn't produce lactase, the enzyme needed to digest dairy.

There's no way to permanently improve lactose intolerance- eating yogurt/probiotics or taking dairy supplements helps temporarily, but that's not easy to do on the trail. Eating more dairy doesn't work. Seriously.

Also, not all allergies can be cured through desensitization, and it's definitely not just as easy as "getting a dog" if you're allergic to them. That can actually be really dangerous if you have a severe allergy.

Instead of almond milk, can you tolerate goats' milk? If you can, it is available as powder much more widely than almond milk.

I've also seen almond milk in the single serve tetra packs in most grocery stores. I know the weight of liquid milk in tetra packs is going to be more than that of powdered milk but it's another alternative.

And yes, going up a trail, any trail with the results of ingesting dairy when you're lactose intolerant would be a very slow, painful trip!! At least if you react to it the way I do...sigh!

The Old Boot
07-15-2012, 18:37
The other thing that came to mind just after I hit 'post' is powdered coconut milk.

I use it here at home instead of canned coconut milk and it reconstitutes quite nicely. I use it in my curry recipe amongst others.

I've not tried it but I think it would taste wonderful in homemade hot chocolate and would do fine for on cereal too!

Old Hiker
07-15-2012, 19:00
$29 (+ shipping) for less than 2 gallons would be a budget breaker, I imagine. (https://www.organicbuyersgroup.com.a...products_id=49 (https://www.organicbuyersgroup.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=49)) My #2 son was not able to tolerate milk for quite a while. We had to get the soy milk and soy milk powder which was bad enough price-wise. He's outgrown it, fortunately.

Good luck on your search and hike.

LaurieAnn
04-07-2014, 17:41
Actually... I was quite serious. It is easy to make a powder from almond milk. I've tried it with several brands and had great success. It takes a teeny bit more to reconstitute than instant milk powder but is totally worth the effort (imo).

myakka_
04-07-2014, 17:49
I have lactose intolerance, but find that the times when I reconstituted powdered milk, it didn't bother me at all. I wonder if going to powder and back reduces the lactose?

theinfamousj
04-08-2014, 08:56
I have lactose intolerance, but find that the times when I reconstituted powdered milk, it didn't bother me at all. I wonder if going to powder and back reduces the lactose?

I don't know about lactose intolerance, but I get intestinal upset with liquid milk and can confirm that reconstituted dry milk doesn't seem to be noticed by my system.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

GrandCanyonWildflowr
04-08-2014, 10:42
Instant soy milk is available at Asian market in single serve packets.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Hot Flash
04-08-2014, 11:04
It may not be a "vegan thing", I am interested because I am lactose intolerant. I can have a small amount of dairy, but would not even chance the conseguences on the trial.

So go with powdered soy milk.

myakka_
04-08-2014, 11:33
Almond milk can also be purchased in single serve drink boxes. Even walmart has them. My wife bought some for my last kayak trip and it was perfect. I opened one a day to make my milkshake in the morning.

GrandCanyonWildflowr
04-11-2014, 08:57
I also prefer the flavor of almond milk to soymilk and would love to find an instant version. The instant coconut milk I looked at all contained dairy products. :(Until that happens, the Asian markets carry "Soy Drink" in individual serving packets $2.19/10 pack. My children enjoy it on their breakfast cereal. Super convenient, but too sweet for my taste. They also carry a pudding mix, but it did not congeal.Asian markets are also a good source for rice noodles.I'm sorry people can be so rude. Food alergies/sensitivities/intolerances are no fun and add complications, especially when backpacking.I mix ground almonds with nutritional yeast and salt for a cheesy-ish topping that tastes pretty good.Best of luck to you!

Wise Old Owl
04-11-2014, 09:20

I am familiar with immune responses, most scratch tests are above 45 things that one can be allergic too. And yes getting a dog works. It takes 8 -10 months to desensitize to the enzymes in the saliva - I have had three rounds at 5+ years apart and am thankful for all those shots. I was allergic to many animals, grasses, pollens, and still have a problem with horses. And right now University of Pittsburgh is working on a "patch" for desensitizing children for Peanut Butter - be thankful when that gets approved -less kids will die.

This is blogging and perhaps because of word choices you are reading too much into my replies. Welcome to WB.

sarbar
04-16-2014, 15:36
While it isn't light, I carry for my youngest the shelf-stable single serving boxes of So Delicious coconut milk. Our youngest (who is 2) has severe allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and dairy. Anyhow, thankfully coconut milk is OK for him. I am very careful when we travel as I have no desire to have ANY issues with his health. For that, I'll carry the bulk/weight!

MTn music
04-17-2014, 13:36
Thank you! This will come in handy at home too when gluten-free recipes call for powdered milk.

Demeter
04-21-2014, 07:32
Here is a post with a video (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?103395-Dehydrating-Liquids-(soups-nut-milks-etc)-in-the-Excalibur-Dehydrator&p=1872234#post1872234)showing how I did it....

Dogwood
04-21-2014, 18:09
News flash..........................Milk comes from cows, goats, your mother NOT almonds

Did ya see the bit by comedian Lewis Black on Soy Milk? There's no such thing as a soy titty. Almond meal is just crushed up dried almonds. Almond milk is different. I've never seen dried(powdered) almond milk but am fairly sure it does exist so keep searching for it. Since you're lactose intolerant you might try powdered coconut milk too which I do use on trail.

Dogwood
04-21-2014, 18:11
Oh, and of course, there's powdered soy milk too. The vanilla flavored is pretty tasty IMHO, even in coffee.

Dogwood
04-21-2014, 18:14
BTW, powdered vanilla, chocolate, and unflavored soy milk I've bought in 10-14 oz cans, which makes umpteen gallons of soy milk, for about $8- $10 so it isn't very expensive.