PDA

View Full Version : Hostel/ Shuttle Warning

righto
07-01-2012, 20:17
Hello, I just looked this up after remembering a "creepy" Shuttle driver I met a while back. I heard complaints about the hostel, which I hear is now closed, as well, but no one could ever justify anything other than saying he was creepy.

PA has a right-to-know law, which reports all citations an individual receives. I just felt it was a good idea to pass this along to fellow hikers.

Keith Champagne, aka birchy aka chicken wing has been providing shuttle service and a hostel for a few years or so. I looked him up on PA's right to know website and found charges of: bad checks, theft by deception, harassment (kicking, shoving, etc), stalking, DUI, driving with a suspended license, terroristic threats, drug possession and usage, and bad checks. These charges are from 1998 to most recent of just this month.

A recent driving without a license charge was from 5/23/12, which he still had shuttle service up and running to my knowledge.

If you would like to check the website is: http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Default.aspx
Click on docket sheets then scroll to participant name.

While he may seem "just a little off" but friendly, and provide beer, just please use your judgement before getting a shuttle ride or trusting someone that appears to have over 20 charges. Stay safe out there.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 21:40

vamelungeon
07-01-2012, 21:55
We have a forum member that goes by the name Birchy and runs a hostel I believe, though I don't know his real name. I notice the OP is making his first post.

WIAPilot
07-01-2012, 22:21
In a case like this, I understand if someone wants to do this anonymously! As long as the hiker community is warned - that is the important thing. I wouldn't hesitate to inform others of this at all.

kayak karl
07-01-2012, 22:49
the site says as of 6/23 he was still in jail waiting trial this month.
so we know Keith Champagne has had a run of bad luck, but is he aka birchy or chicken wing.
this is not the first time somebody has been publicly slandered with no real proof. the OP doesn't seem to of had a crime committed against him.
hopefully someone can complete the pieces before everyone with these trail names are under scrutiny.

righto
07-01-2012, 23:07
I completely understand if you see it's my first post. I can 100% guarantee that Keith is Birchy and chicken wing... not really sure how you prove that. Anyone has any ideas and I'd be more than willing to confirm however possible.

Only motive here is to prevent hikers from being in a dangerous shuttle or potentially staying with someone (for pay) that has a history of terroristic threats, bad checks and theft by deception.

Sorry if I can't go into more details about my situation... just wanted to inform others.

righto
07-01-2012, 23:08
As always, people will do what they want to do, regardless of warnings. Just PLEASE use your best judgement.

kayak karl
07-01-2012, 23:16
did he own the hostel?
did or does the ex-hostel owner know of this? maybe they could confirm.
what does the Keith call his service?
am i right, is he still incarcerated?

KK

atmilkman
07-01-2012, 23:21
did he own the hostel?
did or does the ex-hostel owner know of this? maybe they could confirm.
what does the Keith call his service?
am i right, is he still incarcerated?

KK
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73026-New-hostel-michaux-state-forest

kayak karl
07-01-2012, 23:30
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73026-New-hostel-michaux-state-forest
thank you, that will narrow it down for people :)

atmilkman
07-01-2012, 23:33
I can't tell if this isn't one of those IrishBastard/roadside deals or not. If you read the OP it sounds as if birchy is talking about chickenwing almost as if he is singing his praises. But you click on birchy's profile and his name is Keith owner of the hostel. Your guess is as good as mine.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 23:39
We have a forum member that goes by the name Birchy and runs a hostel I believe, though I don't know his real name. I notice the OP is making his first post.

High Mountain Haven at Biglerville - same Birchy...

Looks like you have to register and pay a $ to find that information, I won't be up in that part of the woods anytime soon so I am going to give this whole thing a pass. Shame really....

Folks this could pan out in different directions, we as a group have seen this before.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 23:45
I have a confession.....hehehe

atmilkman
07-01-2012, 23:49
Let me guess - you are Irish/Bastard, Roadside, Birchy, chickenwing and them other 12 new members from the Dahlonega area all rolled up in one.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 23:57
Let me guess - you are Irish/Bastard, Roadside, Birchy, chickenwing and them other 12 new members from the Dahlonega area all rolled up in one.No,I'm not that clever,but man would that be a thang!..too funny. I've always said to be a good troll you gotta get in there,tell a few stories,stick around a bit and then Zingo!...But No no no,it ain't me bade,it ain't me your lookin for babe.

atmilkman
07-02-2012, 00:15
No,I'm not that clever,but man would that be a thang!..too funny. I've always said to be a good troll you gotta get in there,tell a few stories,stick around a bit and then Zingo!...But No no no,it ain't me bade,it ain't me your lookin for babe.
Well then are you gonna confess or not. (LOL) Or are you just gonna keep us guessing (LOL) See post #13 above.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 00:27
Well then are you gonna confess or not. (LOL) Or are you just gonna keep us guessing (LOL) See post #13 above.Never.....ah hahahahahaha,always keep em guessin'

Rasty
07-02-2012, 00:37
Let me guess - you are Irish/Bastard, Roadside, Birchy, chickenwing and them other 12 new members from the Dahlonega area all rolled up in one.

If rocket could pull that off he would be my hero.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 00:46
If rocket could pull that off he would be my hero.If I could pull that off,I darn sure wouldn't be dick doggin around here at WB,I be out making money.

IrishBASTARD
07-02-2012, 06:28
I can't tell if this isn't one of those IrishBastard/roadside deals or not. If you read the OP it sounds as if birchy is talking about chickenwing almost as if he is singing his praises. But you click on birchy's profile and his name is Keith owner of the hostel. Your guess is as good as mine. *** are you talking about MORON?! One of those "irishbastard/Roadside deals" what does that even mean. Dumb ass I am not Keith but was a guest of his. Would not stay again as it has closed. Had no issue with Keith myself in staying at his Hostel. But other Hostels was not a fan of by any means. To each his own on the hostels they choose...I chose Keiths as it was free for me to stay at.

atmilkman
07-02-2012, 06:43
*** are you talking about MORON?! One of those "irishbastard/Roadside deals" what does that even mean. Dumb ass I am not Keith but was a guest of his. Would not stay again as it has closed. Had no issue with Keith myself in staying at his Hostel. But other Hostels was not a fan of by any means. To each his own on the hostels they choose...I chose Keiths as it was free for me to stay at.
What that means is that in an original post of birchy's he speaks of chickenwing as if he is another person sort of like what has been pointed out that you have done.

Don H
07-02-2012, 10:03
I always use the AT shuttle list. I don't see Birchy (or Keith) on that list.

max patch
07-02-2012, 10:10
..I chose Keiths as it was free for me to stay at.

I've read a lot of GREAT THINGS about ROADSIDE and he seems like a GREAT GUY!!! I bet he left a generous tip!

righto
07-02-2012, 10:59
Proof... you need proof? If you have Facebook go to search function. Type Keith Champagne. A picture will show up of him, also a birthdate that corresponds to the birthdate on the criminal records site. Also has his trail name "birchy" in the name of his Facebook info... that's all the proof I'll be able to provide minus somehow taking his license and taking trail registers to a hand writing expert.

It's not like the hostel is still open, this is just a heads up for people that may be considering using the shuttle service mostly, or anyone that he offers to stay with him, despite no longer having the shuttle. Not exactly a reputable guy or driver.

Also, I believe him and his mother, Teri aka mountain rose aka mountain lady were the hostel owners. If you look through past threads (like a few years ago now, I think). THey've been called out on being misleading about who they were in the past. Also, you can go to trailforums.com and type high mountain haven in the search bar. The threads that come up are titled "creepy guy"

Like I said, more of a warning to just be alert if around this guy.

max patch
07-02-2012, 11:05
Regardless of what kind of past the owners may or not have I've read too many negative reviews of the place to have wanted to stay there anyway.

Creek Dancer
07-02-2012, 11:13
Thanks for the heads up, righto!

shelb
07-02-2012, 22:07
Yes, thank you...as I do plan on hiking in this area next month....

no-name
07-03-2012, 05:23
Birchy and Mountain Rose were very nice to me last August. I left my truck at their place for a week and I was shuttled to Boiling Springs to start a weeklong hike to Harpers Ferry. Their place was about two or three days into my hike, so I was able to resupply midhike. I was picked up in Harpers Ferry. They charged me less than what was quoted at the start. Also, Birchy hiked with me a bit and camped twice on the trail. They provided at least two dinners to me, and also a dinner for a young couple at Antietem Shelter. Free. I found them both friendly and knowledgable. I hope to meet up with them again and I wish them the best.

Wise Old Owl
07-03-2012, 06:47
No-name, you are both right, while you had a positive experience Right-o has done the homework and discovered too many skeletons. I don't need proof.

verasch
07-03-2012, 08:18
This thread makes my brain hurt.

Wise Old Owl
07-03-2012, 08:36
These are different times, The consequence of Birchy's past actions cannot be hidden from the very public that needs trust to do business with him. A sort of Angie's List for Backpackers if you will. It only matters to people that may use his shuttle service in the future - when he gets out of jail. People will forget, people will get lied to, It's really up to him to make the change to make it right going forward. Some will continue to associate with him others like me won't. (Based on past interactions with similar shady people in recent past)

I honestly don't care anymore on this subject... Done.

rocketsocks
07-04-2012, 13:54
These are different times, The consequence of Birchy's past actions cannot be hidden from the very public that needs trust to do business with him. A sort of Angie's List for Backpackers if you will. It only matters to people that may use his shuttle service in the future - when he gets out of jail. People will forget, people will get lied to, It's really up to him to make the change to make it right going forward. Some will continue to associate with him others like me won't. (Based on past interactions with similar shady people in recent past)

I honestly don't care anymore on this subject... Done.

16447Shouldn't his hostel be removed from the WB forum,and should a member be removed as well? I say a resounding Yes!, I would never go there,and I wont forget, I never forget a face, call yourself chicken,wing ding, or what ever, the books don't lie, been there done that.

attroll
07-05-2012, 10:41
I think enough has been said about this her. Closing thread.