PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Traverse in a day

jakedatc
07-02-2012, 15:32
If you guys have the ability and drive to do this I highly suggest it.. I went with a friend as part of a group Saturday and it was awesome. (13 in group that quickly broke into smaller sub-groups). My friend, the group organizer and I did the full 11 peak traverse from Appalachia up Valley way to Webster and down. webster/jackson. Had pretty much perfect weather and views the entire day. took us 15.5hr for 24mi

(looking back i think)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/White%20Mountains/Presi%20traverse/IMG_0327.jpg
breezy on top of washington.. 50mph with gusts to 65+
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/White%20Mountains/Presi%20traverse/IMG_0339.jpg

peakbagger
07-02-2012, 16:42
Its a great trip.

I am actually an advocate of the "presi lite". Start at appalachia then head up to Madison and take the Gulfside to the West side connector to Crawford path. It skips the crowds at the Mt Washington summit and cuts off a couple of miles and 2 or 3 thousand feet of elevation, but leaves the huts on the route to tank up with water. Its still a spectacular day but is a bit more obtainable for most folks. I usually try to spot a car at the Cog and that way if the weather goes bad, once you are at Jefferson, you have the option of cutting it short.

jakedatc
07-02-2012, 16:52
:shrug: Most of us were up for a long hike and a challenge. Hitting all of the peaks and the whole trail was what we were looking to do. That is why i said if you have the ability to do it then the whole thing.. at least to Mitzpah it is awesome. Doing it other ways is fine but it is not the same

Driver8
07-02-2012, 22:35
:shrug: Most of us were up for a long hike and a challenge. Hitting all of the peaks and the whole trail was what we were looking to do. That is why i said if you have the ability to do it then the whole thing.. at least to Mitzpah it is awesome. Doing it other ways is fine but it is not the same

Awesome, Jake! I intend to get up and do a Northern Presi's visit soon. Probably stay at Crag Camp, up from Appalachia, and bag the three 5K peaks. If time, stamina and weather permit, might trundle up to Washington, too. Not sure I'll be ready for the full Presi this year. We'll see, maybe in the fall.

One of these days, I want to do the full A.T. Presi, with the various summit loops, from Pinkham to Crawford Notch, down via Webster Cliff. That won't be for another year or two, but one can dream in the meantime! :)

jakedatc
07-02-2012, 23:08
Ya weather was as good as you could ask for. I have a friend coming back in the late summer/ fall that was going to do it but when these friends were doing it and i saw the weather forecast i couldn't pass it up. Hell, maybe i'll do it again. It also has the side benefit that I am pretty confident in doing the Long Trail at a decent clip. Also my knee that i hurt in CT didn't bother me at all