PDA

View Full Version : Trail Mail: from Indiana thru-hikers

SavageLlama
04-20-2005, 16:55
Interesting notes from some of this year's hoosier thruers..

Trail mail: The hiking experience can be a culture shock
Journal Gazette
Fort Wayne, Indiana
April 17, 2005

Note: Eric Howell and Matt Brodahl of Fort Wayne began hiking the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine on April 2. Howell is writing postcards from the Trail that will appear periodically in The Journal Gazette.

A blond woman's legs dance alone to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Her twirling white sequin midriff is the discoball.

I'm drinking a Budweiser in the corner, and this NASCAR-bleeding bar could be found anywhere in America. But after I walk down Highway 75 through Helen, Ga., and open my motel room, I know I'm in a trail-town.

The clothes, gear and smell of five thru-hikers envelop the double room. Our shower is draped with muddy tents and the drain chokes on grass and leaves.

On the Appalachian Trail, life sometimes seems normal, but oftentimes it's exotic.

Yesterday, after dinner in the southern sun, my companions and I craved ice cream. So, we hiked to a highway and hitched a ride to the nearest Dairy Queen.

Children are afraid of monsters in the closet, but out here, grown men wake up to the faintest crackle in the night. Five years ago, at a shelter in the area, a hiker woke up with a black bear straddling his sleeping bag.

Hikers almost always take working lunches - wrapping their blisters with duct tape.

No one wants to face a rainy morning. Last Thursday, I didn't want to open my eyes because that would have meant dealing with the lake forming beneath our tent.

Sitting on logs around a campfire with friends under a starry sky might as well be our second national pastime. We were doing just that Saturday night when an old man appeared through the trees carrying a camouflage knapsack and offered to cook us dinner. He fried fresh rainbow trout, onions and potatoes while preaching the imminent apocalypse.

That only happens on the AT.

- Eric Howell

SavageLlama
04-20-2005, 16:58
If anyone wants the link..

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/11418502.htm

MOWGLI
04-20-2005, 17:01
On the Appalachian Trail, life sometimes seems normal, but oftentimes it's exotic.

Yesterday, after dinner in the southern sun, my companions and I craved ice cream. So, we hiked to a highway and hitched a ride to the nearest Dairy Queen.

Damn! It must REALLY be boring in Indiana.

bulldog49
04-20-2005, 17:44

Believe me, it is!

chris
04-20-2005, 17:50

Why do you think I moved to Washington?

Tonce
04-20-2005, 21:34
My parents wanted me to do the same thing with the paper here In Lancaster, I told them I didnt want to cause I didnt want the hassle to have to find a library once a week.

SavageLlama
04-20-2005, 22:37
Believe me, it is!
HA! :D :D

Mags
04-20-2005, 23:08
My parents wanted me to do the same thing with the paper here In Lancaster, I told them I didnt want to cause I didnt want the hassle to have to find a library once a week.
That brings back a funny memory...

When I did the AT, kept an online journal. In 1998, online journals were not that common -be it hiking or otherwise.

Dear ole Dad wanted me to contact the newspaper; I said no way!

Two weeks after I left for Georgia, Dad calls the Providence (RI) Journal.

Unknown to me, a reporter for the ProJo was following my hike.

Talked to Dad, said to call Reporter X at the ProJo
ME: Huh?!?!!
Dad: Yeah, I called for you..thought it would be great
ME:Whah??!?
Dad: Here's the number...
ME: Er..OK

So I call from a payphone in Glencliff, NH and did a phone interview.

When I get back from the AT in August, find out about a HUGE article that was done about me a month or so earlier. Part of the hook of the article was the on-line journal portion. Again, not so common in 1998 for hiking... or in general.

Must admit, it was kind of cool..afterall. My 30 seconds of fame..at least in a a small area in the smallest state in the country! :)

Shortly after my hike, visited the hospital where I worked from the time I was 16 and up to just before I left for the AT (24 yo). All the doctors, nurses, food service staff, techs, etc. who saw me "grow up" there kept on telling me "hey..you are the hiker from the paper!" :)

OK..enough rambling. Back to working on some web site stuff... :D

Chris...looks like I will be seeing you at the KOP?

Tabasco
04-21-2005, 08:43
I went hiking one Sunday on the Knobstone Trail in Indiana. Started at the Southern Terminus, hiked north for 4 miles and there ran into a SoBo hiker finishing up lunch. We spoke about trails, etc, he and I were both carrying the same cheap daypack.

Anyway, we got to talking about upcoming hikes, I mentioned that I was starting a weeklong section hike at Springer on April 2. He got a big grin on his face and said, that's the day I start my Thru hike!

Sure enough, on Sunday morning in Gooch Mountain Shelter, eating breakfast, we sat cross the table from one another. Small world.

I wish him well, he was a FAST hiker.

chris
04-21-2005, 09:49
Chris...looks like I will be seeing you at the KOP?

Yup. I'm leaving today at 11 when classes get out. Should be in Lake Morena tonight after a stop at Hooters and will be making a border run tomorrow AM.