PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Springs Campground

stumpy
04-20-2005, 20:10
I believe that I read that Rainbow springs campground was closed for good. Is this true, and does anyone know why? It seems to have a good location and could be a great resource if it was run by the right people.

Lilred
04-20-2005, 21:47
Rainbow Springs has been sold to developers. It is now for only the rich and famous. :mad:

stumpy
04-20-2005, 22:05
That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are they going to develop? Are they going to make a neighborhood, or vacation rentals?

RockyTrail
04-21-2005, 09:55
We were doing a weekend overnight on the Georgia AT two weeks ago near the NC border. After setting up camp at dusk, three prospective thru-hikers walked up and set up camp next to us. One of them said "Man, I'm really looking forward to getting up into NC so I can cleaned up at Rainbow Springs and work out some gear issues at the outfitter there."

I told them I'm 99% sure it was sold to developers last fall (according to what I heard here on WB). One of the hikers turned to the other and said sternly "WHAT year guidebook are WE using?" Long pause..."Uhhh, 1998." "That's where we were going to resupply!" he growled. At first they looked really dejected but then laughed it off. :) I was ROFL but trying to hide it. By the time we got the marshmallows on the fire, everybody had a good laugh about it.

It kinda reminded you of the old Laurel and Hardy act -"That's another fine mess you've got us in, Stanley!" :datz

stumpy
04-21-2005, 12:22
It really sucks that the campground is gone. They had a great location and a nice set up. When things like this happen it really makes me think about how things will be along the AT in 20 years from now, and how much different it is from 20 years ago!:(

Turbo Joe
04-21-2005, 14:55
its a fact i talked to barry and terri last month at albert and they are deffinelty closed to all hikers

K-Bear
04-22-2005, 14:39
i had SUCH a great time there last year! anyone know if the mountain crossings crew is gonna open up a "mini-outfitter" anywhere else? I bought my alky-stove at rainbow springs! Fell in love with the yurt there, took a steam, went wading in the river...bummer!

Footslogger
04-22-2005, 15:06
Well ...at least I have the good memories. Packed 10 - 12 hikers into one of the little cabins on our 2003 thru.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
04-22-2005, 15:29
Well ...at least I have the good memories. Packed 10 - 12 hikers into one of the little cabins on our 2003 thru.

'Slogger

That's a good memory? Were they Sorority Girls on spring break? :banana

Footslogger
04-22-2005, 15:46
That's a good memory? Were they Sorority Girls on spring break? :banana====================================
Only in my dreams ...they were other smelly hikers, just like me, but by that point we didn't much notice the odor. Sat up most of the night singing "On the Big Rock Candy Mountain" and old BG's songs. What a fun night !!

'Slogger
AT 2003