PDA

View Full Version : Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket

WIAPilot
07-03-2012, 00:30
This is waterproof and has a lifetime warranty. Anyone have this jacket and recommend/not recommend it?

Velvet Gooch
07-03-2012, 07:16
The Alpha SV jacket (and bib) is my go-to storm shell for winter mountaineering. It's a whole lotta "raincoat." Make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer

Velvet Gooch
07-03-2012, 07:47
Also, you might PM Tipi Walter (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?7874-Tipi-Walter). I'm almost certain I've seen the Alpha SV jacket in his photos

Tipi Walter
07-03-2012, 13:59
It's definitely part of my standard load and carried on every trip. It has saved my butt from Mt Rogers down to the Cohuttas. Alpha, sigma, delta, epsilon, theta, gamma---I get the names all mixed up but I think I have the Alpha SV because it was so dang expensive and remembered. Arcteryx stuff is usually out of reach but I sold a couple cars and the house and the firstborn and went to a Seed Bank and sold semen and had enough cash to afford this shell.

It will save your butt like it saved my butt---heck I just used it on my last BMT trip down to Big Frog when I got caught on Big Frog mountain in an unseasonal cold snap rainstorm. Shivering like a hoplite facing the Amazon women archers, I stood on the trail next to my pack in a deluge sopping wet and dug in the pack and pulled out the Orange Chest Shell and slapped it on and ZAP was on the trail huffing and puffing in a warming state. Pro Shell is way beyond Paclite. Winter, summer---keep it in your kit. (Below pic---With Hootyhoo in the Slickrock wilderness).

It is my on-trail treatment for hypothermia and it always works. And the color keeps me from getting shot except by those who want to take the thing.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/8/7/4/trip_106_137.jpg

T.S.Kobzol
07-03-2012, 14:22
I have two Arcteryx Jackets, they both look the same. I googled images of the SV - and it looks the same as my jackets. One of my jackets has heavier fabric than the other. :-) haha . hard to answer this one. I think Arcteryx makes great jackets. I use the heavier jacket in the winter and the lighter one is with me during the spring, summer and fall. Not sure what else to say about it. I like the precurved cuff closures, I utilize the pit zips, I like it being 'fitted' form as it does not get in the way much of the time... but really, for most of my summer backpacking I use a regular poncho that goes over me and over the backpack as well.

Rasty
07-03-2012, 14:24
Tipi: From that picture it looks like you took you friend on a death march. He can't keep his eyes open and your all sunshiny and smiles.

It's definitely part of my standard load and carried on every trip. It has saved my butt from Mt Rogers down to the Cohuttas. Alpha, sigma, delta, epsilon, theta, gamma---I get the names all mixed up but I think I have the Alpha SV because it was so dang expensive and remembered. Arcteryx stuff is usually out of reach but I sold a couple cars and the house and the firstborn and went to a Seed Bank and sold semen and had enough cash to afford this shell.

It will save your butt like it saved my butt---heck I just used it on my last BMT trip down to Big Frog when I got caught on Big Frog mountain in an unseasonal cold snap rainstorm. Shivering like a hoplite facing the Amazon women archers, I stood on the trail next to my pack in a deluge sopping wet and dug in the pack and pulled out the Orange Chest Shell and slapped it on and ZAP was on the trail huffing and puffing in a warming state. Pro Shell is way beyond Paclite. Winter, summer---keep it in your kit. (Below pic---With Hootyhoo in the Slickrock wilderness).

It is my on-trail treatment for hypothermia and it always works. And the color keeps me from getting shot except by those who want to take the thing.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/8/7/4/trip_106_137.jpg

Tipi Walter
07-03-2012, 15:21
Tipi: From that picture it looks like you took you friend on a death march. He can't keep his eyes open and your all sunshiny and smiles.

He just spent 3 days camping in subzero temps and then blinked. The death march happened right after this pic was shot---belly crawls thru a heath tunnel collapsed by snow. In fact, this is what a person looks like after such a death march---(taken on a different trip)

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/f/0/2/1019650/image.jpg
I kept the jacket on just to keep dry from all the snow. It's a tough nut to crack---crawling on your hands and knees with a 65 lb pack in deep snow under collapsed brush. There's about 2 feet of clearance and the fun lasts all day. This jacket laughs at such crap. Try that in a poncho.

T.S.Kobzol
07-03-2012, 15:30
yeah, agreed. no need for a poncho in the winter.

He just spent 3 days camping in subzero temps and then blinked. The death march happened right after this pic was shot---belly crawls thru a heath tunnel collapsed by snow. In fact, this is what a person looks like after such a death march---(taken on a different trip)

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/f/0/2/1019650/image.jpg
I kept the jacket on just to keep dry from all the snow. It's a tough nut to crack---crawling on your hands and knees with a 65 lb pack in deep snow under collapsed brush. There's about 2 feet of clearance and the fun lasts all day. This jacket laughs at such crap. Try that in a poncho.

WingedMonkey
07-03-2012, 15:42
Not likely that I'm gonna spend what my plane ticket costs me to buy a jacket (OK that is assuming I still fly anywhere and I don't, so make that some other form of transportation) to take me to where it snows. I LOVE snow, maybe because it is not a part of my regular life. One of the reasons I strive to not grow fat is so I can use all the great gear that is useless in Florida and works great in Alaska.

Anyhow...the OP that this jacket is "water proof", is it? I've usually avoided that sales pitch as it means it doesn't breathe. Even with zip arm pits I need some air exchange.

T.S.Kobzol
07-03-2012, 15:48
I bought both of my jackets second hand. That probably explains my ignorance of knowing what model they are.

In the winter I usually wear thin non waterproof windbreaker for the uphill portion. I use the Arcteryx jacket when around camp or if we get heavy snow during the hike/ski portion. Winter hiking is all about staying busy (warm) and having enough fuel (food) to stay warm during inactive portions of the trip.

Not likely that I'm gonna spend what my plane ticket costs me to buy a jacket (OK that is assuming I still fly anywhere and I don't, so make that some other form of transportation) to take me to where it snows. I LOVE snow, maybe because it is not a part of my regular life. One of the reasons I strive to not grow fat is so I can use all the great gear that is useless in Florida and works great in Alaska.

Anyhow...the OP that this jacket is "water proof", is it? I've usually avoided that sales pitch as it means it doesn't breathe. Even with zip arm pits I need some air exchange.

ParkRat09
07-03-2012, 23:31
The Alphan SV is a beautiful Arc-teryx jacket no doubt. That is their Gore-Tex Pro Shell jacket which I think is overkill for the AT. It is a serious mountaineering jacket made especially for very harsh conditions, more so than you will find on the AT for the most part. It is also significantly heavier than many other jackets to carry when you're not wearing it. I just purchased a Beta FL (Fast and Light) jacket from Arc'teryx (albeit significantly less than retail price b/c I am an outfitter), and it is freakin awesome. The Alpha is a little slimmer fitting which I prefer and it is made from Gore-Tex Active Shel, which breaths much better than Pro Shell (hence the Active in Active Shell). It also weighs much much less (around 10oz or so all together) and is much more packable which is handy. So, both jackets are awesome but I think the Beta FL is more AT appropriate.