PDA

View Full Version : Anything Special?

WIAPilot
07-03-2012, 06:40
I was reading Samwise the Vagabond's blog of the PCT and at one point, he found a Barbie kite and flew it with some of his friends while on the trail. I thought that was just so cool. To take a few moments out of the normal grind of packing up camp, journaling, hiking, resupplying in town, doing laundry, etc - to just have a fun time.

Are there any different things you did (or plan to do) while on the trail that made it just so much better? Like even something small like flying a kite?

Lone Wolf
07-03-2012, 07:40
i hit a golf ball off katahdin once

Capt Nat
07-03-2012, 07:56

Now I get it! You don't carry hiking sticks because you carry golf clubs!! This could start a thread on ultra-light golf clubs...

WIAPilot
07-03-2012, 08:51

That is the first cool thing I've seen you post! :eek:

OzJacko
07-03-2012, 08:57
I reckon it'll take about 3 more posts before you get quizzed on LNT principles....
Way cool though. Did you use a tee?

Lone Wolf
07-03-2012, 09:05
I reckon it'll take about 3 more posts before you get quizzed on LNT principles....
Way cool though. Did you use a tee?

no tee. what are LNT principles?

fiddlehead
07-03-2012, 09:05
I played "Granchester Meadows" on my guitar at a few places but it seemed to fit best at some of those lakes in the last 100 miles NOBO.

"See the splashing of the kingfisher flashing to the water.
And a river of green is sliding unseen beneath the trees,
Laughing as it passes through the endless summer making for the sea.
In the lazy water meadow
I lay me down.
All around me,
Golden sunflakes settle on the ground,
Basking in the sunshine of a by gone afternoon
Basking in the sunshine of a by gone afternoon,
Bringing sounds of yesterday into this city room."

brian039
07-03-2012, 09:43
We had about 10 people for a wiffle-ball game on Max Patch. That was a lot of fun. Some little things you can do to make things more interesting are trying to find camping spots with nice views, hiking out a beer or soda from a convenience store for camp, or taking a swim. You can whitewater raft at the Nantahalla Outdoor Center in N.C. and the Northern Outdoor Center in Maine. If you consider off-trail adventures, then the possibilities are endless. I knew a group that pitched-in and rented a car from Enterprise (they pick you up) and went to the beaches in Virginia. When I was in NY it was brutally hot, I had enough of hiking and had the urge to go jump off a diving board. I got to a road crossing and started asking locals about where I could find a swimming pool. It turns out there was a water park in Fishkill, NY so I hitched in and spent the rest of the afternoon doing waterslides and playing in the wave pool. Then I hitched back out to the trail and hiked in the evening when it was cooler. I benefited a lot from the friends I made out on the trail. A lot of people who hike the trail actually live close to it and parents like to see their children. There's nothing quite like getting to go on a road trip with your trail friends and get to stay at home with them!