PDA

View Full Version : The Caribou Valley Road near Sugarloaf in Maine was rebuilt

peakbagger
07-03-2012, 06:56
The Caribou Valley Road (CVR) is a popular means of access to the AT for day hikers and section hikers as its makes easy access to 5 4000 foot summits (crockers, reddington, Sugarloaf an Spaulding. There is also a somewhat infamous crossing of the Carrabasset river adjacent to the road. The road has been in deteriorating condition for several years and many would not willingly take their cars past the first bridge (while some went for it anyhow). A hiker in the area posted a trail condition reports on VFTT that the road was rebuilt recently.

It good news for hikers but I expect, the road upgrade is in anticipation of active logging down the road so if you do drive up there make sure that when you park, you are completely out of the way.

fiddlehead
07-03-2012, 08:51
Good to hear some news from my old neighborhood.
I lived and worked at the base of Sugarloaf after my first thru back in '89
Sounds like the Brochu brothers are still logging.
Tell Jim I said hi if you see them out there. (I worked for them way back then)

I used to drive that road to hike up Sugarloaf as the AT was a much nicer way up then the ski slopes.
Loved that ford too.
Often saw moose driving back there.

Mhw
07-03-2013, 16:13
I'd like to know if anyone has an update on the condition of Caribou Valley Road for this summer 2013? We want to hike Spaulding. Tried the folks at Sugarloaf but so far they haven't been very helpful.
Mhw

peakbagger
07-04-2013, 06:59
Go on viewsfromthetop.org Search for Caribou Valley Road. There are recent reports.

If I remember correctly, there are some concrete barricades installed host of the AT crossing. Folks have driven past the barricade, but the road gets much rougher and there are some questionable bridge approaches. Definitely 4 WD and no care for the paint on the sides of the vehicle past the barricades.

There have also been recent posts on the bushwhack down to Reddington Pond