PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking home or lack of home mentality

Mikey Appleseed
07-03-2012, 10:05
Howdy All, just wanted to hear some examples of how your homelife was helped or hurt by thru-hiking. Is it easier to not have a real home to go home to, or does not having a home help your mindset? Was your sadness for missing home too overwhelming? Is your home stability a rock that helps you? No wrong answers, just looking for help dealing with hiking without a returning to real life plan.

BrianLe
07-03-2012, 10:24
"Is your home stability a rock that helps you?"

I'll pick that one. I keep in touch with my wife periodically as I go along, and her expectations are well tuned to the reality of long trips. And I'm very rarely homesick; I'm blessed with the mentality that sort of just focuses on where I'm at and don't think a lot about places that I'm not.

But returning to 'normal' life is not easy for anyone, it's a big shift after you've been out for months. I do find it all too easy to slip right into the old ruts, but it still takes a while, and normal 'civilized' life can seem pretty bizarre and often pointless until you mentally re-acclimate.

I'm sure this is at least a bit challenging for everyone, but I'm also sure that it's at least a little bit unique for everyone.

brian039
07-03-2012, 10:29
Home sickness was the only thing that made me want to leave the trail. My dad came out to visit me in Gatlinburg and in PA for a few days off the trail. On both occasions I had thoughts of quitting. After a couple of days back on the trail I was over it.

4shot
07-03-2012, 19:55
I felt like some of the thru-hikers had no homelife to speak of and they enjoyed the trail immensely. I enjoyed the trail as well but missed my wife and home at times. This occurred most especially after she visited (Gatlinburg, Damascus and middle of Pa.) It was hard not to get in the car and return home with her when she departed. But after a day or two, I was back in the trail rythm and was pushing on. When I was discouraged and homesick (which did happen a time or two ), I would tell myself that Katadin was the gateway home. Having a great life back at home makes for an easier adjustment imo. A thru hike is a great experience for all and some simply had nothing to look forward to post-hike. I enjoyed mine but I also was looking forward to home again. fwiw, Brian who posted above and I climbed Mt.K on the same day and enjoyed an epic post hike party on the coast of Maine with several of our friends who all finished together.

fiddlehead
07-03-2012, 21:57
Home is where the Heart is.
I never got homesick. Until I had a kid.
I was always completely at home on the trail and dreading the end (cause I had to go back to that other world)
I never really understood people who felt the pull of that world.
But now, my kid makes all the difference and I'd miss him terribly.
And he's not into hiking so..............I'm destined to be one of these "cyber hikers" for a while. Till he gets in college or something and I can go back "Home" to the woods.

Papa D
07-03-2012, 23:09
When I thru-hike the AT the next time, it will be my third completion of the trail - - I thru hiked, I am now in the process of being a long distance section hiker (100 or more miles at a time, usually). For my next thru, my wife and daughter are going to take me to the trail and "chase me" in a vehicle of some sort - - I'll tent or shelter camp (traditionally) some nights and "car camp" with them on other nights - - it'll be a quasi- family affair, so I think it will be a family project - great for my "home life."

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 23:14
I was always completely at home on the trail and dreading the end (cause I had to go back to that other world)
And he's not into hiking so..............I'm destined to be one of these "cyber hikers" for a while. Till he gets in college or something and I can go back "Home" to the woods.No problem Fiddlehead,when your ready to start cyber hiking in earnest, you just give me a shout out, I'll walk you through it.:D:)

Rasty
07-03-2012, 23:32
And he's not into hiking so..............I'm destined to be one of these "cyber hikers" for a while. Till he gets in college or something and I can go back "Home" to the woods.No problem Fiddlehead,when your ready to start cyber hiking in earnest, you just give me a shout out, I'll walk you through it.:D:)

Rocket, please tell me you actually do some hiking. I'm starting to believe some of what you are writing.

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 23:38
Rocket, please tell me you actually do some hiking. I'm starting to believe some of what you are writing.Naw, I do get out every once and a while, but in all fairness, I think it's important here to qualify, I have over 3,040 posts, 2000 hours on line,so if any of these panty wieght real hikers think there gonna come in here and throw there weight around, well....you just better tape up those typin fingers, set at your computer, and bring ya some snacks........Cause :welcometo my world baby! rs/space bar:D

Coffee Rules!
07-04-2012, 00:06
When I thru-hike the AT the next time, it will be my third completion of the trail - - I thru hiked, I am now in the process of being a long distance section hiker (100 or more miles at a time, usually). For my next thru, my wife and daughter are going to take me to the trail and "chase me" in a vehicle of some sort - - I'll tent or shelter camp (traditionally) some nights and "car camp" with them on other nights - - it'll be a quasi- family affair, so I think it will be a family project - great for my "home life."

THAT is awesome on so many levels.

fiddlehead
07-04-2012, 00:06
Naw, I do get out every once and a while, but in all fairness, I think it's important here to qualify, I have over 3,040 posts, 2000 hours on line,so if any of these panty wieght real hikers think there gonna come in here and throw there weight around, well....you just better tape up those typin fingers, set at your computer, and bring ya some snacks........Cause :welcometo my world baby! rs/space bar:D

I can type 60 wpm .......... consistently!

rocketsocks
07-04-2012, 00:12
I can type 60 wpm .......... consistently!Ya know,I think ya got me there, yep started typing this a 1/2 ago, you win!:)