PDA

View Full Version : October Section Hike

English Stu
07-03-2012, 10:41
I am in the UK and could do with some advice on the best weather conditions and terrain for an October hike this year to link up my sections which spread the length of the trail but with big gaps .

My sections so far are Troutville VA to Springer, Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs, Caratunk to Katahdin.

As I have friends in Maine I would like to pick the trail up south of, and a few weeks hiking before Caratunk but that gives me a difficult section and one I would have to get in better shape for,which is not out of the question. I have also thought of Troutville north taking in the Shanandoahs, but on here recently I have seen Harpers Ferry south would be fine. Right now I am favouring the Shanandoahs as I am interested in wildlife and I understand that is a good area for flora and fauna.

Kerosene
07-03-2012, 11:29
There's a big difference in what you might encounter for weather in early vs. late October, and in New England vs. Virginia. If you're coming from the UK then I'd encourage you to stick to the southern states; not that the weather might not be perfect in Maine but Katahdin typically closes in mid-October. I'd probably hike north from Troutville, which could be lovely in early/mid-October. If you start south from Harpers Ferry then you'll have another gap to fill at a later date (and I know how hard they are to fill when you're traveling from so far away).

Have a great time, wherever you choose. Many of my AT sections have been hiked in the Fall if you want to check them out: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=261594

fredmugs
07-03-2012, 14:08
I did the James River SOBO to Pearisburg in the middle of October several years ago and it's still my favorite hike. Standing on McAfee Knob with the leaves in full blaze was incredible. Not quite freezing temps at night and highs in the upper 50s. This is a hot year so it could be completely different and very dry for water sources.

Alligator
07-03-2012, 15:18
Time your hike to a section of trail expected to be in peak fall foliage color.

Del Q
07-04-2012, 13:29
I agree 100%, catch the fall colors..............odd weather patterns continue, maybe decide by the end of August?

Water sources could be tough in spots based on this heat...........I am section hiking from Manchester Center to Hanover, fill in what I skipped last year due to Hurricane Irene

Kerosene
07-04-2012, 16:47
Hiking in the Fall forces you to be ready for a much broader range of temperatures (perhaps from 25F-75F). Water sources tend to be much lower or completely dry. Cold rain on a 38-degree day can be hard to take, and requires more caution. Snow is possibility (but it can be the most memorable part of a hike!). Slogging through a foot of downed leaves (if you go too late) can be dangerous in places, as well as surprisingly noisy.

On the plus side, there are few if any bugs; the colors can make for incredible photographs; there is less haze in the air; there are fewer people on the trail (at least during the week); it can be exhilirating to backpack in 50-degree weather wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

FarmerChef
07-06-2012, 10:07
I did the James River SOBO to Pearisburg in the middle of October several years ago and it's still my favorite hike. Standing on McAfee Knob with the leaves in full blaze was incredible. Not quite freezing temps at night and highs in the upper 50s. This is a hot year so it could be completely different and very dry for water sources.

We did SNP on two separate weeks in late October and early November last year and the October hike was by far and away one of the most favorite of all our hikes thus far. The views in SNP in the fall are great, especially if you can get there just as the leaves have fallen at the highest elevations. The rest of the mountains will be in full blaze and you'll have enough visibility THROUGH the trees to enjoy it for miles. As others have pointed out, down south the temps can be very much still on the mild side at that point. But it can also swing to an early snow as well. On our October hike we had lows in the 40s to 50s but two weeks later in November, we were hiking on ice and snow with the first nights low at 25:eek: We also have hiked through the cold rain that Kerosene mentioned and it is indeed very challenging to downright hazardous if one is not adequately prepared.

The best part about high elevation deciduous forests is that you can get a nice 3 to 4 week buffer of foliage so it's not as critical that you time it perfectly, especially if your schedule isn't that flexible.

neonshaw
07-06-2012, 22:31
I have done a number of hikes the first week of october on the AT. Its generally chilli with highs in the low to mid 60's (maybe) - can be in the 50's - and windy. fronts usually bring a cold rain at elevation followed by clearing bright skies, cool / windy. its a nice time of year, but you better have some gear to stay warm