PDA

View Full Version : dried shrimp at Wal-Mart

fungi601
07-03-2012, 12:02
Just got back from Wal-Mart getting some trail supplies and I found these little packs of dried Loisiana Shrimp (made in USA) the one on the left is a pack of small whole shrimp and the one on the right is some sort of ground shrimp. They both have a great feel and smell to them. The whole shrimp are a bit pliable and not really that cruchy and I think both will be great to use in some shrimp grits on the trail. There called Pop's Golden Gems and are made in Opelousas, LA. I found them right by the tuna section

Maddog
07-03-2012, 12:06
Thanks for the heads up! Shrimp and grits sounds delish!!! Maddog:)

Loneoak
07-03-2012, 12:15
Nice find, I will have to check our Walmarts here

fungi601
07-03-2012, 12:30
I think im going to add like a teaspoon of instant roux with the grits to create a bit of that gravy effect that you get when you order shrimp and grits in the resturants. I would never normally use instant rough but I have a jar and thought this would be the perfect use for it.

budforester
07-03-2012, 13:00
I like 'em for snacking; dried shrimp also work in recipes. Here's a tip: dried shrimp take a long soak to re- hydrate. In something like Ramen, I cook in a pot; start the shrimp in cold water, add noodles when it reaches boiling, cook, then cozy if needed... probably would work for grits.
I use "instant" brown rice for freezer- bag cooking things like jambalaya, creole, or gumbo. Cozy a looong time; the shrimp are OK when the brown rice gets done.

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 13:12
Hech yeah, swrimps for dinner.

verasch
07-03-2012, 17:37
I thought you guys were talking about old midgets here.