PDA

View Full Version : Senior division record?

Papa D
07-03-2012, 23:20
Currently, I am in the process of re-hiking the AT. My thru hike was long ago - almost seems like it was in another life. FYI, currently, I am re-hiking the trail in long sections (100 miles plus each trip). I am already contemplating another thru-hike -- I would do it in about 5 years when I will be 50. Does anyone know what the fastest hike for someone 50 or older is? Right now, I hold down 20+ mile days very easily. I'm planning on hiking 220 miles next week in about 10 days - - in NH! I think when I'm 50, I can do the trail in less than 85 days - I simply love the challenge of waking at 4:30 am and hiking all day long - would this be any sort of record? - - in the world of speed thru hikes is there a senior division? I'm not sure that I care that much, but if I'm going to do the whole trail again, it would be kind of cool to have a goal like this. For some crazy unexplained reason, I'm getting faster- - hiking at 3 miles per hour is fun - - maybe it's the coffee. :)

Rasty
07-03-2012, 23:27
It's got to be the coffee. Couldn't possibly be the thousands of miles you've hiked already.:D

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 23:28
Dam Drew, you go man 3 miles an hour sustained is huge, it may just be the coffee, don't stop drinking it.Ya know, I would have know idea about that record, but why not make a senior category, I be curious to see that as well. It's one thing for a young person to come there with some serious numbers, quit another for an older person to do it. I've heard you speak before about the times you are doing, good luck with that, I'd say if anyone can, it might as well be you, Go Papa Go Papa!

Rasty
07-03-2012, 23:34
Is 50 senior? That's only 11 years away. Ain't no way I'm almost senior. I'm barely mature enough to an adult.

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 23:48
Is 50 senior? That's only 11 years away. Ain't no way I'm almost senior. I'm barely mature enough to an adult.In my mind I'm a very mature 23 year old-maybe 22.But I know maturity when I see it.

oldbear
07-04-2012, 00:02
We have a senior division ?
Please tell me we don't
I got into hiking because there a certain innate and intimate anarchy to it and the last thing I want to see are all the random jacks be put into neat little boxes

fiddlehead
07-04-2012, 00:04
Did a SOBO winter hike when I was 51.
Was supported however.
I think it was around 120 days: Oct 14 start, Feb 13 finish.

Of course, I don't think 50 is senior. 70 maybe.

Coffee Rules!
07-04-2012, 00:27
Is 50 senior? That's only 11 years away. Ain't no way I'm almost senior. I'm barely mature enough to an adult.

I'm only 2 1/2 years away and I'm still not mature enough to be an adult. I figure, by the calendar I'm 47, but I act 17. split the difference and it puts me right around 32. I can deal with that. Senior shmenior!

moytoy
07-04-2012, 05:07
Senior is only good if you get a discount! Otherwise it sucks! If coffee does it then I want more coffee or I'll have what he's having!

fredmugs
07-04-2012, 08:12
Currently, I am in the process of re-hiking the AT. My thru hike was long ago - almost seems like it was in another life. FYI, currently, I am re-hiking the trail in long sections (100 miles plus each trip). I am already contemplating another thru-hike -- I would do it in about 5 years when I will be 50. Does anyone know what the fastest hike for someone 50 or older is? Right now, I hold down 20+ mile days very easily. I'm planning on hiking 220 miles next week in about 10 days - - in NH! I think when I'm 50, I can do the trail in less than 85 days - I simply love the challenge of waking at 4:30 am and hiking all day long - would this be any sort of record? - - in the world of speed thru hikes is there a senior division? I'm not sure that I care that much, but if I'm going to do the whole trail again, it would be kind of cool to have a goal like this. For some crazy unexplained reason, I'm getting faster- - hiking at 3 miles per hour is fun - - maybe it's the coffee. :)

Do it! Throw it out there and see what happens. I just finished my final section hike 5 days before my 49th birthday and I seem to keep getting stronger as a hiker. Not sure I could avg 25 mpd on a thru.

It's great knowing there are other people out there who like to hit it from sunup to sundown.

10-K
07-04-2012, 08:27
If you go for it count on me for support from Hot Springs to 19E...

Sugarfoot
07-04-2012, 08:28
Down here in Florida, 50 doesn't qualify as old. I was literally called a young whippersnapper at that age. Even now at 61, there are still very few discounts available. Biggest downside of being a graybeard on the trail is being called Sir!

Odd Man Out
07-04-2012, 09:20
I think I got my first AARP junk mail when I turned 50. I use them for fire starters while dancing and singing my "I'm not getting old" denial ceremony. I have a living with end of life instructions for my children. It says that if they ever find me watching Lawrence Welk re-runs that euthanasia is allowed.

Grampie
07-04-2012, 09:22
Senior Devision? come on now. If you want a senior devision start at 75 years old. 50 is far from being considered old.

hikerboy57
07-04-2012, 09:44
nothing wrong with getting old, or as i like to think of it, gaining experience.
its growing up that s***s.
PapaD it cant be the thousands of miles youve hiked, has to be the coffee, and dont even think about red bull.

WingedMonkey
07-04-2012, 11:18
My usual response to these threads is that the ATC has no records on speed or age or distance. I may have to to revisit that as they now seem to go with anything that will get them facebook hits.

Driver8
07-04-2012, 11:48
Go for it, D. You are the fastest, nimblest hiker I've been out on trail with. You can do it if you decide you want to. I'm with 10-K. Will be happy to support you from the Hudson River to Stratton Mountain, or better yet, 11/30, when the time comes.

rocketsocks
07-04-2012, 11:51
Go for it, D. You are the fastest, nimblest hiker I've been out on trail with. You can do it if you decide you want to. I'm with 10-K. Will be happy to support you from the Hudson River to Stratton Mountain, or better yet, 11/30, when the time comes.heck yeah,I might could help through NJ, with support.

hikerboy57
07-04-2012, 13:33
ill help you get through ny

lemon b
07-04-2012, 14:12
Lmoao......

Kerosene
07-04-2012, 16:42
I found there to be a big, big difference between 45 and 55. My cardio is still very good, and leg strength is almost as good, but the knees don't hold up to 20-mile days, let alone consecutive 20's, as they did just 5 years ago. Recognize that, as you age, you will lose muscle mass faster and heal a lot slower. You probably already have the mental stamina and "wisdom" that comes with repetition (aka, old age), but that only counts for so much. If you're feeling up to it then go for it, but also recognize that there will be a higher probability that you'll have to stop your quest due to injury.

Oh, and I'd argue that the senior division doesn't start until 65. :rolleyes:

rocketsocks
07-04-2012, 18:47
Lmoao......I don't know that state.hmm

1azarus
07-04-2012, 20:17
I'll be 61 years old in a couple of weeks and have no trouble averaging 20 miles a day. I wonder what 65 will bring. I wonder what 70 will bring. I do hope it lasts for a while longer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

fiddlehead
07-04-2012, 20:56
Personally, I felt great at 51, never had any problems. My knees were as strong as ever. (ran the leadville 100 at age 51 in 26 hours 39 minutes)

Now, at 61, my lungs are worse for sure and I have a pain in my kidney area after a long day. (knees still holding up but only after i switched to minimalist shoes)

Talked to an old guy at the Hash House Harriers where I run on Saturdays who is 71 and he said 60-70 is the fastest he ever went downhill.

We'll see.

Driver8
07-05-2012, 02:16
Go for it, D. You are the fastest, nimblest hiker I've been out on trail with. You can do it if you decide you want to. I'm with 10-K. Will be happy to support you from the Hudson River to Stratton Mountain, or better yet, 11/30, when the time comes.

Of course, if others will help you along the way, that's great. If Hikerboy can get you to CT border, I can pick up there. I'm sure you won't lack for support.

moytoy
07-05-2012, 04:03
Up until this year I've been doing about 1200 trail miles every year for the past 10 years. I've recently had to stop hiking because something is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve on my left side. I don't know if it's age related but I'm guessing it is. I think everyone is different when it comes to aging and feeling the down side of father time.