PDA

View Full Version : My Ankle is Broken Right Now But I've Decided to Thru-Hike Next Year!

ParkRat09
07-03-2012, 23:34
I broke my ankle 6 weeks ago while I was bouldering, but I've decided to thru-hike next year. Just thought I'd share and get some suggestions of things I could do this early in the game to get ready!

Loneoak
07-03-2012, 23:51
Dang dude, hope your healing well. You back to work ?

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 23:59
Wow,sorry to hear that,.Maybe try this,while sitting in a chair and feet flat on the floor, add some weight to your forefoot(toes, something soft like a sock filled with a rocket or something:) and lift the forefoot while the heels stay on the floor,this will build the muscle in the shin area,which typicaly don't get worked as much or as hard as the calf muscle.But as always check with your doctor on this, as your injury may not allow for this. Cheers man, I like bouldering.:)

ParkRat09
07-04-2012, 00:01
Dang dude, hope your healing well. You back to work ?

Oh yea I went back like a week after surgery. Still on crutches tho.

ParkRat09
07-04-2012, 00:02
Wow,sorry to hear that,.Maybe try this,while sitting in a chair and feet flat on the floor, add some weight to your forefoot(toes, something soft like a sock filled with a rocket or something:) and lift the forefoot while the heels stay on the floor,this will build the muscle in the shin area,which typicaly don't get worked as much or as hard as the calf muscle.But as always check with your doctor on this, as your injury may not allow for this. Cheers man, I like bouldering.:)

Thanks for the tip man. I have a doctor's appt on Friday to start physical therapy and hopefully start to ditch the crutches. Def may use this if doc says it's ok.

oldbear
07-04-2012, 00:07
Having patience is the first rule of properly healing all injuries...and if you're an active person it's a frustrating rule
But if you push the process too far too fast you risk re-injury and then you're back to Square One again

rocketsocks
07-04-2012, 00:09
Having patience is the first rule of properly healing all injuries...and if you're an active person it's a frustrating rule
But if you push the process too far too fast you risk re-injury and then you're back to Square One againWow +1 on this, go slow.

tiptoe
07-04-2012, 12:49
Wishing you a speedy healing process. I've been recovering from a double ankle break sustained last August 31 and surgery the following day. I'm considerably older than you, ParkRat09, but at any age I think it's wise to try to find the sweet spot between being active enough to promote healing and overdoing it. oldbear's advice is good.

Hairbear
07-04-2012, 13:30
keep your chin up there is light at the end of the tunnel,and that first trail out will feel almost like a maiden voyage.think of how good thats gona feel.

10-K
07-04-2012, 14:30
Now would be a good time to learn about ultra light backpacking.

WingedMonkey
07-04-2012, 14:41

Or how to get a ride to the doctor when you don't carry any first aid weight.

WingedMonkey
07-04-2012, 14:42
Or how to get a ride to the doctor when you don't carry any first aid weight.

My bad I forgot the :banana

10-K
07-04-2012, 14:43
It's ok .. I can take it.

10-K
07-04-2012, 14:44
:D ................... <where did you get that banana? All I got are smileys. Dangit.>

WingedMonkey
07-04-2012, 14:46
:D ................... <where did you get that banana? All I got are smileys. Dangit.>

It's in you mail drops with the rattlesnake eggs.

ParkRat09
07-04-2012, 16:06

Now that you mention it I am 3 weeks away from my 1 year anniversary of my NOLS lightweight backpacking course in the Winds