PDA

View Full Version : UPS or FedEx

ATSeamstress
07-04-2012, 14:35
Need some advice . . .

My hiking partner and I are planning maildrops through the Whites. Both Flume and Pinkham have said to use either UPS or Fedex. Is there advantage to one over the other? I don't have experience using either service.

Thanks!
Seamstress

10-K
07-04-2012, 14:40
Whichever is more convenient for you. I'd use either one without thinking twice... Probably UPS since there's a UPS store up the road in Johnson City...

MuddyWaters
07-04-2012, 17:30
I prefer Fedex to UPS if cost isnt big concern. UPS has improved in last couple of yrs, but Fedex still has the best tracking info, etc.

rmitchell
07-04-2012, 18:11
I use both in my work, several times a week. Both do an excellent job 99% of the time.

peakbagger
07-05-2012, 06:48
UPS is serviced out of Twin Mtn NH about 10 miles from the AT. FED EX is serviced out Vermont. Both are real good, but UPS on occasion will run two trucks per day. I wouldnt stress on either.

ATSeamstress
07-06-2012, 09:15
Thanks everyone! I've found a UPS location right around the corner from my house that I never noticed before. I went in and talked to them and they were extremely helpful, and their hours are very convenient for my husband to send my maildrops. Now I just have to hike!!

Sly
07-06-2012, 10:20
If you have a postal scale you can also sign up online with UPS (naybe FedEx) and print your own labels, then drop it off. I think it saves you money.

ATSeamstress
07-06-2012, 23:56
If you have a postal scale you can also sign up online with UPS (naybe FedEx) and print your own labels, then drop it off. I think it saves you money.

The lady at UPS told me to weigh it with my bathroom scale and if it weighed more when my husband drops it off they would just charge him the appropriate amount. Off to the trail on Sunday! Looking forward to completing this 15-year journey!

Coffee Rules!
07-07-2012, 06:57
Good luck, Ragamuffin!

WIAPilot
07-07-2012, 07:09
I have always preferred FedEx, however I recently had a real problem when I tried to send a package to 2 hikers at Bears Mt, NY. I sent it to General Delivery - exactly addressed how it is outlined in the AT Guilde Book with the correct info. I even had a signature required. I don't know if the PO was closed or what, but FedEx took it upon themselves to send the package to a motel that AT thru hikers use there. Yet they couldn't even tell me what motel or the address of the motel so that I could inform the hikers. (I have never heard of FedEx doing something like this at all.) Ultimately package was returned, but what a hassle! In cases of General Delivery (and not a motel or hostel), I would almost suggest USPS rather than UPS or FedEx.

Pumba
07-07-2012, 07:23
Looking forward to completing this 15-year journey!

That's going to be a LOT of mail drops. :D
It is true that you'll save money with an account. It doesn't take much to get one and it's easy to do. You just need an accurate scale and a printer. I would highly suggest this if there is still time.

leaftye
07-07-2012, 10:54
I have always preferred FedEx, however I recently had a real problem when I tried to send a package to 2 hikers at Bears Mt, NY. I sent it to General Delivery - exactly addressed how it is outlined in the AT Guilde Book with the correct info. I even had a signature required. I don't know if the PO was closed or what, but FedEx took it upon themselves to send the package to a motel that AT thru hikers use there. Yet they couldn't even tell me what motel or the address of the motel so that I could inform the hikers. (I have never heard of FedEx doing something like this at all.) Ultimately package was returned, but what a hassle! In cases of General Delivery (and not a motel or hostel), I would almost suggest USPS rather than UPS or FedEx.

I wouldn't use UPS or Fedex at all for General Delivery. Unless they have some special arrangement, UPS and Fedex will say they can't deliver to a post office, and the post office will say that they can't accept the packages because they don't have a PO box for UPS or Fedex....or something like that.

Last year I ordered an Amazon package to be sent General Delivery to a town along the trail. I couldn't specify which service Amazon used beyond requesting 2 day delivery. Amazon does have a warning for overnight deliveries, which is why I stuck with the normal 2 day delivery. Amazon sent my package by UPS or Fedex, I can't remember, and they couldn't deliver it to the post office. They ended up leaving the package at a town an hour away down the highway. To get the package I had to drive a half hour from the trail to the town I wanted the package delivered to, and then another hour to the town the package was actually at. I lost a whole day of trail work because of that.

theinfamousj
07-07-2012, 19:51
I have always preferred FedEx, however I recently had a real problem when I tried to send a package to 2 hikers at Bears Mt, NY. I sent it to General Delivery - exactly addressed how it is outlined in the AT Guilde Book with the correct info. ... In cases of General Delivery (and not a motel or hostel), I would almost suggest USPS rather than UPS or FedEx.

Yeah. General Delivery is a USPS-only deal. Only the USPS can deliver mail to a post office or mailbox. General Delivery is putting it at the post office in care of the post master.

Miner
07-08-2012, 11:09
Sending something to a US Post Office by a method other than the Postal Service is just asking for trouble. FedEx and UPS are great for sending things to a hotel or other business to pick up (providing you have contacted the business about them taking your supply package). My preference is UPS. If you want to use Post Offices, send them Priority Mail via the Postal Service and not regular parcel. Look into flat rate boxes where you send it the same price no matter how heavy or far you send it.

Whack-a-mole
07-08-2012, 15:21
It's interesting that you use UPS or FedEx to send a package to the USPS. I wouldn't send a pkg by UPS to FedEx for them to hold for me, or vica versa. The USPS is a business on its own. All three of these businesses will do what they should do as they can best do it, but they can only do what they are supposed to do. (Sent from a current UPS employee)

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 15:28
Dear fellow hikers:
DO NOT send anything FedEx or UPS to a post office. I have read a lot of blogs and all the trail guides and they all make that VERY clear.

10-K
07-08-2012, 15:31
Dear fellow hikers:
DO NOT send anything FedEx or UPS to a post office. I have read a lot of blogs and all the trail guides and they all make that VERY clear.

Why would anybody do that anyway? That's like mailing something to UPS or Fedex.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 15:34
Need some advice . . .

My hiking partner and I are planning maildrops through the Whites. Both Flume and Pinkham have said to use either UPS or Fedex. Is there advantage to one over the other? I don't have experience using either service.

Thanks!
Seamstress

If you haven't already, set yourself up online accounts at any of the carriers you plan to use. It will make life much easier while away from home and dealing with drops.
With an online postal account you can even pay for and arrange pick ups from where you are staying when the PO is closed or not convenient.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 15:37
Why would anybody do that anyway? That's like mailing something to UPS or Fedex.

I guess they skipped that page.

:sun

SunnyWalker
07-09-2012, 22:04
WingedMonkey: Hey, thanks! Super idea! that would be real convenient.

Now here is my question and I know its been talked about. However, i can't find the thread etc. Mailing Isopropane (little) tanks. I know at the PO there is a picture/chart that indicates this is not allowed. HOWEVER, I thought I'd read something on WB that talked about (and quoted the policy and number of it) it was actually ok. It was a problem for some postal employees cuz they thought it was not allowed.

MuddyWaters
07-09-2012, 22:10
Our main downtown post office is huge, you have to walk up steps to get to the doors, etc. It also has a FedEx drop box at top of steps, right by the front door you go in. Makes me wonder everytime I look at it.

Whack-a-mole
07-10-2012, 11:07
That's because FedEx and the post office have a "deal". It made a big stink in the shipping world a few years ago. UPS took it to court, but lost. Still don't understand why, but that's what the court said.