PDA

View Full Version : Chat Room?

ATMountainTime
07-05-2012, 10:29
Was curious have the members of whiteblaze.net and the moderator/owners thought about a chat feature? Talk about trail conditions, packs, each other, etc. But also making it safe from the stalker types.

Its just a thought.

Yes Im in IT so i just stare at screens all day. :)

kayak karl
07-05-2012, 13:25
back in the day there were a few yahoo things, then facebook stuff. i like talking to people on the trail or at trail functions, but that's me.

hikerboy57
07-05-2012, 13:38
we could just use the thread drift thread.

max patch
07-05-2012, 14:13
Someone started one here a couple years ago outside of WB for WB members to use. If it caught on I'm sure someone will give you the url. Or if you feel lucky you could do a search. Doesn't interest me so thats about all I can say about it.

rocketsocks
07-05-2012, 14:26
We could just use the thread drift thread.Always thinking outta your box, yes indeedy HB,always thinking. thats actually not a bad idea, just pop on that when and if you have absolutely no thing ta say, but would prefer to say it anyway.

Rain Man
07-05-2012, 14:40
Cons far exceed any pros.

Rain Man

Maddog
07-05-2012, 14:45
Cons far exceed any pros.

Rain Man

+1...well said RainMan! Maddog:)

hikerboy57
07-05-2012, 14:52
could always send wiapilot a pm if you really need to chat.

ATMountainTime
07-05-2012, 15:04
was just a thought. not sure how the cons outwieght the pros. guess ill learn mafia wars instead. :)

Cookerhiker
07-05-2012, 15:15
I plead ignorance; I don't know what a "chat room" is vis-a-vis WhiteBlaze. If you have questions or want discussion on trail conditions, packs, etc., then search existing WB forums, find what you're looking for, and add your $.02. Or start a new thread like so many WB newbies do. How is a "chat room" different from what we have now?

leaftye
07-05-2012, 15:37
was just a thought. not sure how the cons outwieght the pros. guess ill learn mafia wars instead. :)

Spammers already rule this site at night. Even if I were to try using the chat room here, I'd quickly quit as soon as the first spammer appeared. Those are what killed AOL chat rooms ~15 years ago.

I plead ignorance; I don't know what a "chat room" is vis-a-vis WhiteBlaze.

Chat rooms are like threads except you can't quote so it's harder to tell who's talking to who and about what, and conversations quickly disappear so good knowledge isn't retained for people to benefit from at a later date. On the other hand, they're perfect for people that love going off on tangents...an electronic version of ADD.

Cookerhiker
07-05-2012, 15:39
...Chat rooms are .... On the other hand, they're perfect for people that love going off on tangents...an electronic version of ADD.

And of course we don't have that on WB...;)

hikerboy57
07-05-2012, 15:44
Didn't I mention the thread drift thread?

ATMountainTime
07-05-2012, 15:49
".an electronic version of ADD. "

perfect for the IT guy with ADD!

10-K
07-05-2012, 16:26
I have to say I hate chat rooms.. :)

Pedaling Fool
07-05-2012, 16:41
I plead ignorance; I don't know what a "chat room" is vis-a-vis WhiteBlaze. If you have questions or want discussion on trail conditions, packs, etc., then search existing WB forums, find what you're looking for, and add your $.02. Or start a new thread like so many WB newbies do. How is a "chat room" different from what we have now?I agree; I just don't get it.

hikerboy57
07-05-2012, 17:23
I agree; I just don't get it.

i have even more trouble with twitter. and you know how i feel about facebook.
i know I'm on WB more than i should .
i mean dont we generate enough topics to discuss without taking it to the "next level"?didnt he read about the PMs already getting out of control?
i cant wait for maine so i can leave you guys alone for a month!:)

max patch
07-05-2012, 18:29
Wingfoot had one on the old Trailplace and he removed it when (this is what he posted) he read the transcripts and discovered that some married members were planning hookups with individuals who were not their spouse. I obviously have no idea if this is true or not.

verasch
07-05-2012, 18:43
Wingfoot had one on the old Trailplace and he removed it when (this is what he posted) he read the transcripts and discovered that some married members were planning hookups with individuals who were not their spouse. I obviously have no idea if this is true or not.

Well, it WOULD make pink blazing (I think thats term, right?) much easier. I can see it now...

LostNLonely84: iz it saf 2 go N d wds @ nite on at?
Hike2myheart9k:... A/S/L
BigHikerBob: OMG***BBQ!!!1
OBlazah: @lostnlonely84, only if you have a gun. HURRRR.

Yes, this place would get infinitely more interesting.

ATMountainTime
07-05-2012, 19:48
i see the point. :) Not all my idea's are good ones! :)

rocketsocks
07-05-2012, 23:23
i see the point. :) Not all my idea's are good ones! :)Hey, no worries.I think you just started the chat room, right here under "Chat Room",come back tomarrow.....