PDA

View Full Version : Bears and garbage

MuddyWaters
07-05-2012, 21:38
Last time we were out, some other hikers suggested that my tuna garbage would attract bears.

I think that they are thinking that tuna will get quite smelly, etc. After a few days they could be right.

I dont rinse out the foil packs, just put them in my garbage ziplock, because nothing to do with the water , and I dont really want to drink tuna water. Garbage zip goes in the food bag in an odor resist liner too. Stays either with me, or gets hung depending.

If no one else is around, I might burn garbage and retrieve the al foil liners, and anything unburnt from the fire the next morning to pack out. But usually we dont make a fire, just eat and hit the sack. More than once Ive been dissapointed that garbage cans I planned on ditching garbage in were locked at a road crossing (also bathrooms , but thats another story)

By the end of several days Im often carrying a lot of garbage from 2 people, some getting quite smelly, and the wt is adding up.

Who actually rinses out what they pack out?

10-K
07-05-2012, 21:47
Not me......

Pedaling Fool
07-05-2012, 21:54
I always wash out stuff like that. Not for bears or anything, it's just so things don't stink, when they stink that means things are growing, I don't want that stuff around. Even at home I wash my stuff that I throw in the recycle bins (not wasted water because it all goes in the garden or compost pile).

But I'm kiind of crazy that way, if you were to come over to my house you could drink out of my trash can, yes I keep a clean trash can and nothing dirty goes in it.

atmilkman
07-05-2012, 22:08
I rinse and drink. Usually mix it in with the G2 at meal time. Can't taste it. Sometimes twice if that's what it takes. Double bag it in the food bad. Doesn't stink.

WingedMonkey
07-06-2012, 09:46
I always wash out stuff like that. Not for bears or anything, it's just so things don't stink, when they stink that means things are growing, I don't want that stuff around.

Same here, not a bear concern, just a fly and bug and fungus thing. Don't want it next to my fresh food.

About_Time
07-06-2012, 09:56
I didn't use a lot of that type of food, but when I did it came down to convenience. If there was a nearby stream where I could wash it out then I did, otherwise it went into the sealed garbage bag.