PDA

View Full Version : Seeking guide to Montana's mountains

Different Socks
07-05-2012, 23:58
Does anybody know of guide or book that has info on routes/trails to Montana's highest mtns?

Can't find one on ebay or Amazon.

Rasty
07-06-2012, 13:15
Try a website called Summit Post. Search by state or mountain range. Has detailed trip information.

Then Google "free topo maps to print" it should be the top site. Something like digital-topo. Print off the maps you need.

LynnMT
07-06-2012, 15:21
What area are you interested in?

Different Socks
07-06-2012, 17:01
What area are you interested in?

Would like to begin hiking/climbing to the top 100 peaks, maybe more. I guess I could start in the area just north o f Y-stone.

LynnMT
07-14-2012, 21:08
The mountains just north of Yellowstone are pretty high and pretty rugged. I think I would start in the Bitterroot Mountains west of Hamilton. There are good trails. You might try to find some by the Montana Mountain Goat, Mario Locatelli. My husband has Hiking with Mario in Montana's Bitterroot Mountains. His books are published by Stoneydale Press.
www.stoneydale.com.

Hope this helps you out.

Montana AT05
07-15-2012, 00:21
Does anybody know of guide or book that has info on routes/trails to Montana's highest mtns?

I'm not a peak bagger so I have no idea off hand, but I live in Bozeman and a guy I know showed me his spreadsheet of mountains above 10K that he is in the midst of climbing...and most are in the northern reaches of the Beartooths (North side of Yellowstone, accessible via Absorke and Columbus). Some really beautiful areas. I'll ask him on Monday if he uses any specific book or website and I will PM you if he comes up with anything. I know one he did a few weeks ago (which I opted out of happily) was a 6,000 foot eleveation off trail scramble up and down, took him a long time. No thanks! I am more of a by-pass-the-peak and down the ridge kind of guy!

BradMT
07-15-2012, 08:45

I'm not aware of a specific peak book... personally I'd concentrate on individual areas, study maps, and go from there.

Question is, are you up for technical climbing at some level, or just looking for "walk-up's"?