PDA

View Full Version : And here I'm worried about bears and rattlesnakes....... :)

Mrs Baggins
07-06-2012, 05:00
http://nation.foxnews.com/aggressive-goats-bothering-hikers/2012/07/05/popular-hiking-trail-closed-due-aggressive-goats

bfayer
07-06-2012, 05:51
Really? they closed the trail because people felt "threatened"?

"Nobody has been hurt by the goats. But a number of people have felt threatened,” Neil told Peninsula Daily News."

People do know there are actually wild animals out there, Right?

Rain Man
07-06-2012, 08:47

Consider the source, Fox "News."

Rain Man

tdoczi
07-06-2012, 09:01

Rain Man

so youre saying because the report is on foxnews you doubt that the trail is actually closed?

rhjanes
07-06-2012, 09:08
I had a great uncle who had a goat farm in central PA. They CAN get agressive. they are also quite smart. they seem to sense "fear" in humans. they are also territorial. So you get a male, protecting his "ladies", in HIS space.....yeah, you can expect a head butt from him. Yell at him and swat at him to show him you are the boss.....and they would back off, climb up on the roof and make noise at you "nannnna....nannnna....see, stoopid human....I'm up HERE.....nannnnnannnnnaaaaaa".

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2012, 09:24

Rain Man

That's a really weak and petty remark. But here's a link just for you Rainman :rolleyes:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2018605711_apwaaggressivegoats.html

WingedMonkey
07-06-2012, 09:26
so youre saying because the report is on foxnews you doubt that the trail is actually closed?

Doesn't help credibility when the story is about wild mountain goats, and they use a photo of a domestic pigmy goat with photo-shopped devil red eyes to post a web story.

Makes the story a joke right out of the gate.

Sarcasm the elf
07-06-2012, 09:31
Doesn't help credibility when the story is about wild mountain goats, and they use a photo of a domestic pigmy goat with photo-shopped devil red eyes to post a web story.Makes the story a joke right out of the gate.I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed the photo.Wasn't there an incident a couple of years ago where a mountain goat killed a tourist on a popular hiking trail out west? I feel like there was a thread on this site about it around 2009 or 2010.

Sly
07-06-2012, 09:32
Really? they closed the trail because people felt "threatened"?

"Nobody has been hurt by the goats. But a number of people have felt threatened,” Neil told Peninsula Daily News."

Maybe she wasn't working in 2010. From the Seattle Times

In October 2010 an aggressive goat killed a Port Angeles man in Olympic National Park. That goat was killed by a ranger.

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2012, 09:34
Doesn't help credibility when the story is about wild mountain goats, and they use a photo of a domestic pigmy goat with photo-shopped devil red eyes to post a web story.

Makes the story a joke right out of the gate.Geez, it's an obvious photo-play, btw the red eyes are part of that. Every news organization has done this in the past. You'll are just showing your bias and it's pretty pathetic. It's just a silly story, get over it.
Petty, petty, petty... :rolleyes:

BTW, here's a "credible" link for you :rolleyes: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48066074/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/t/aggressive-goats-force-mount-ellinor-trail-closure/

tdoczi
07-06-2012, 09:38

Makes the story a joke right out of the gate.

well frankly closing the trail because of goats is a joke. yeah i know someone supposedly was killed by one in the past, its still a joke. and its still completely pointless to somehow think the story is wrong or inaccurate because it was reported by foxnews. its not like the goat is running for congress or something. fox also reports the weather, does rain main think they do so with unfair right wing bias? lol

Sly
07-06-2012, 09:40
At least MSNBC got it right with a mountain goat. FoxNews pictured a freaking domestic goat.

Sly
07-06-2012, 09:43
well frankly closing the trail because of goats is a joke.

it wasn't a backyard billy goat like Fox pictured. If wild animals are threatening people, damn straight they close trails.

Mike2012
07-06-2012, 09:58
it wasn't a backyard billy goat like Fox pictured. If wild animals are threatening people, damn straight they close trails.

I've seen 5 rattlesnakes on the trail in the past month and two of them threatened me and were quite rude. The other three were friendly. Wipporwill's have threatened me as well.

The Old Boot
07-06-2012, 09:58
Maybe we should be looking at it from a different viewpoint?

If the goats are feeling threatened by humans to the point of becoming somewhat aggressive, maybe the trail should be closed to protect the goats!!

Sarcasm the elf
07-06-2012, 10:00
I hear that they're closing the Grayson Highlands because one of the ponies is mean... :-0

WingedMonkey
07-06-2012, 10:05
Geez, it's an obvious photo-play, btw the red eyes are part of that. Every news organization has done this in the past. You'll are just showing your bias and it's pretty pathetic. It's just a silly story, get over it.
Petty, petty, petty... :rolleyes:

Don't care who does it's STUPID. Just like it would be STUPID to post a pick of a Grizzly eating an arm and the story was about a black bear stealing food.
Don't care if it right or left, it's STUPID.

:sun

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2012, 10:09
Speaking of Grizzlies, check out this story if you can stomach opening a fox link ;) http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/28/bear-slaughters-70-sheep-captured-with-cub-and-relocated/

bfayer
07-06-2012, 10:21
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed the photo.Wasn't there an incident a couple of years ago where a mountain goat killed a tourist on a popular hiking trail out west? I feel like there was a thread on this site about it around 2009 or 2010.

I don't care about the photo one way or the other, I have no doubt some intern pulled a stock photo not knowing or caring about what kind of goat it was.

My problem is the idea of shutting down a trail because somebody wasn't comfortable running into a wild animal in the wilderness.

We better shut down the whole state of Maine if that's the new standard.

Driver8
07-06-2012, 10:22
I had a great uncle who had a goat farm in central PA. They CAN get agressive. they are also quite smart. they seem to sense "fear" in humans. they are also territorial. So you get a male, protecting his "ladies", in HIS space.....yeah, you can expect a head butt from him. Yell at him and swat at him to show him you are the boss.....and they would back off, climb up on the roof and make noise at you "nannnna....nannnna....see, stoopid human....I'm up HERE.....nannnnnannnnnaaaaaa".

Sounds like a Fox News anchor. ;)

WingedMonkey
07-06-2012, 10:27
Speaking of Grizzlies, check out this story if you can stomach opening a fox link ;) http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/28/bear-slaughters-70-sheep-captured-with-cub-and-relocated/

Good story, I did giggle a little when they warned of "graphic photographs" but no evil red eyes just dead sheep, like at Publix. And I love the new tern the college boys came up with:

Grizzly bears can be euthanized if they have previously been captured for depredating.

Here's any story by the same reporter, and a nice stock photo of a Grizz

State and federal wildlife officials have put up a $10,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of the shooter of a Grizzly bear and her nursing cub in the wilderness of northern Idaho.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/24/federal-and-state-wildlife-officials-put-up-10000-reward-for-shooter-grizzly/#ixzz1zqvqZikk

Sly
07-06-2012, 10:34
My problem is the idea of shutting down a trail because somebody wasn't comfortable running into a wild animal in the wilderness.

We better shut down the whole state of Maine if that's the new standard.

It does happen, but I hiked the entire state of Maine and never got threatened by a wild animal. I've also been in parks where trails or shelter/campsites where closed to bear activity. Mountain goats are powerful animals. I wouldn't want one ****ing with me.

hammer89
07-06-2012, 10:36
closing down a trail because people feel threatened by wildlife... if someone's not willing accept the fact that they may run into an animal in the woods, they probably should just go back to the city.... just a thought

bfayer
07-06-2012, 10:58
closing down a trail because people feel threatened by wildlife... if someone's not willing accept the fact that they may run into an animal in the woods, they probably should just go back to the city.... just a thought

I bet we have more stray pit bulls running around DC than they have pissed off goats.

We better shut down Constitution Ave before someone feels uncomfortable.

atmilkman
07-06-2012, 11:56
Call in the Trail Angels. Tell them to bring the charcoal, time to feed the hikers.

rocketsocks
07-06-2012, 12:00
Call in the Trail Angels. Tell them to bring the charcoal, time to feed the hikers."Please pass the jelly" (mint w/ jalapeņos).

atmilkman
07-06-2012, 12:08
"Please pass the jelly" (mint w/ jalapeņos).
And biscuits, being from the south I gotta have my biscuits especially since you mentioned jelly.

tdoczi
07-07-2012, 02:13

lol how exactly does a wild animal threaten someone? and besides, as one of the first responses says- there are wild animals in the woods. if this is a problem stay home. if park officiaals feel the need to post a warning, great. but close trails and threaten heavy fines over mountain goats?????

ive hiked in mountain goat country, i know exactly what they are. frankly farm goats probably ARE more threatening.

Mrs Baggins
07-07-2012, 05:22
Call in the Trail Angels. Tell them to bring the charcoal, time to feed the hikers.

Mmm.mmmm.mmmm! I do love me some roast goat! Had it in Chile, roasted over an open fire. Deeelish!

Bronk
07-07-2012, 05:39
http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20101017/NEWS/310179991/man-killed-by-goat-in-olympic-national-park-was-experienced-hiker

tdoczi
07-07-2012, 08:13

ya know, now that ya mention it.... i think these guys were threatening me. of course, theres so many in glacier you better just close the whole park.