PDA

View Full Version : Off the trail

Frosty
04-21-2005, 10:38
A pair of injuries has taken me off the trail, at least temporarily. I'm going to a doctor tomorrow. Severe pain in right knee going downhill and (bone on bone?) grinding in my arthritic left hip. The latter was actually worse because it kept me from sleeping. I could find no position within the constraints of a mummy bag that wasn't painful.

Very shocking to me, and very humbling. Although I've had injuries in the past, I've always "managed" them.

I haven't given up. I may not finish this year, probably won't, but one of the benefits of being retired is that there is always tomorrow, or in this case, next year. I may not be bullet-proof as I had imagined myself, but thank God I still retain all my stubbornness and arrogance.

A-Train
04-21-2005, 10:41
You were doing some pretty large days for an old retired guy :) Obviously you know it now, but I can't stress to everyone how important it is to take it slow thru the beginning.

I'm sure your gonna be back out sooner rather than later, and we're all pulling for you here Frosty

Footslogger
04-21-2005, 10:55
I may not be bullet-proof as I had imagined myself, but thank God I still retain all my stubbornness and arrogance.======================================== =
You hang in there Frosty. It was that same sense of stubborness that got me through the trail in 2003 with severe kidney stones.

'Slogger
AT 2003

TJ aka Teej
04-21-2005, 11:24
I haven't given up.
That's the spirit, Frosty! Rest and mend, the Trail will wait for you.

Jaybird
04-21-2005, 11:38
A pair of injuries has taken me off the trail, at least temporarily. I'm going to a doctor tomorrow. Severe pain in right knee going downhill and (bone on bone?) grinding in my arthritic left hip. The latter was actually worse because it kept me from sleeping. I could find no position within the constraints of a mummy bag that wasn't painful....etc,etc,etc,.

FROSTY:

Take care of the injuries...the TRAIL will be there once you're healed up.
I, too, have suffered with knee problems in the past...( i feel you pain!)

How far did you get on your quest?

see ya'll out there: APR 28-May (w/"The Model T (http://www.modelt.net) Crew")Hot Springs,NC-Erwin
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap back to Erwin
May 8-20 Damascus to Pearisburg,VA

poison_ivy
04-21-2005, 17:50
Hey Frosty... I've been following your trail journal and saw you were dealing with some injuries. Rest up, the trail will be there when you're feeling better!

-- Ivy

walkin' wally
04-21-2005, 19:58
Take care of yourself and good luck. I hope to meet you up on the trail this fall. :)

walkin' wally
04-21-2005, 21:19
Hey Frosty,

If you are having trouble with your I.T. band. My wife has had trouble with her I. T. band in one knee. She is a nurse in the orthopedic service in surgery. She got some advice on stretching exercises to do before hiking and taking Ibruprofen the night before the hike and the morning before starting out. After a few hikes last summer the pain stopped. She had no more trouble after that last year, even on the steeps. Her pain ocurred going downhill. I hope this might help.

I read your entries and I saw your pictures on trail journals, very nice. Good Luck. Hope to hike with you this year

The Old Fhart
04-21-2005, 22:26
Frosty- One of the hardest parts of trying to hike the A.T. is realizing, that for some reason, it just wasn’t meant to be at this time. I remember in 1998 a hiker named “Bump” and myself telling someone in the Shenandoah’s it was ok to leave the trail because they were having a absolutely miserable time. One problem you will face are the people you know back home who will say: “Oh, you quit,” when they haven’t even walked one mile in a week. Don’t take any grief from anyone, you made the correct choice and we admire you for that.

And, that hiker from 1998 who we talked to about leaving the trail, he came back and did a thru-hike the next year and had an absolutely great time. I always get to see him at Trail Days and the Gatherings and he always has a big smile on his face. You'll get another chance-good luck.

MedicineMan
04-21-2005, 23:33
I'll never thru, nor will i ever complete the trail-the signs are written in my knees, feet and hips, but i'm still going hiking the next time i get a chance...each step on the AT is precious. I thank God for each step I get and something tells me you will keep at it too so good luck and good healing!
Nine months ago I would have swore I couldnt hike again but time took care of that, you'll heal, just relax (very hard to do) and let it happen.

Heater
04-22-2005, 05:48
Frosty- One of the hardest parts of trying to hike the A.T. is realizing, that for some reason, it just wasn’t meant to be at this time. I remember in 1998 a hiker named “Bump” and myself telling someone in the Shenandoah’s it was ok to leave the trail because they were having a absolutely miserable time. One problem you will face are the people you know back home who will say: “Oh, you quit,” when they haven’t even walked one mile in a week. Don’t take any grief from anyone, you made the correct choice and we admire you for that.

And, that hiker from 1998 who we talked to about leaving the trail, he came back and did a thru-hike the next year and had an absolutely great time. I always get to see him at Trail Days and the Gatherings and he always has a big smile on his face. You'll get another chance-good luck.
Was it physical problems? What made the difference so he could come back the next year and hike? Was he just not into it mentally at the time?

Just curious... :-?

The Old Fhart
04-22-2005, 06:25
Austexs- It was not physical. You'd be surprised how many hikers leave the trail because it isn't what they expected, they are homesick, even read of one guy who was tenting and was claustrophobic who lasted 6 days. When you figure about 10% of the people who start, end their hike at or before Neel's Gap 30 miles from Springer you can figure most of it is not physical. In 2000 I was at a hostel in Hot Springs where this older hiker (ok, he was my age) was practically crying, talking about missing his grand-daughter, wife, dog, and mowed lawn. He decided he was leaving the trail at that point. One guy I was hiking with in 1998 was doing great but just dropped out in VT because he just couldn't stand to be on the trail another day, and that isn't uncommon after even 2000 miles.

The trail takes its toll both physically and mentally and if someone decides to leave the trail after thinking about it, respect that decision, it is their hike. Although some thru-hikers feel that only physical problems are valid reasons to leave, I believe a big part of hiking the trail is mental so any reason is valid.

attroll
04-22-2005, 12:08
Frosty

I have been following your journals too. Maybe you should try sleeping in a hammock. That might help your hips. It is just a thought.

whitedove
04-22-2005, 13:43
Hey Frosty,
I'm sorry to hear of your injuries, I've read your journals too. I admire and respect you for following this dream of yours and you have an awesome outlook, rest up and the trail will be waiting for you.