PDA

View Full Version : Female AT Hiker in NH

honeyhiker
07-06-2012, 15:23
Yesterday I hiked Mt Moosilaukee in NH, Beaver Brook Trail. I passed an older couple on the way up and the woman looked miserable. When I spoke to her she said she was going all the way, to Katahdin. After summiting, I ran into she and her husband a little further down the trail, heading down, hardly moving. We were very concerned about her and she finally let me take her pack and I carried it almost to the bottom for her, leaving it by the trail so they would see it. She told us her trail name is Bunny. I'm very worried about her, how she spent the night, and if she's safe and found her pack. Please let me know if you have any information about this couple. She was very shaky and upset and I was worried about exposure, shock, etc.
Thank you!!
Chris honeyhiker @ yahoo.com

Hairbear
07-06-2012, 16:33
concern is love leaving the body.i aplaude you .that makes us all look good thx

Jeff
07-06-2012, 17:09
Bunny stayed with us June 29th. She and her husband Speedstick were in great spirits that day. Here's a photo:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=677703

honeyhiker
07-06-2012, 19:55
Hopefully we hear some good news soon. My logical side says she is fine and they slept near where I left the pack or maybe he went to get it if she couldn't make it down that trail last night but it was almost to the end. I'll just worry until I know. I hope I helped and didn't make matters worse if they needed the pack that night. Thanks for the kind words Hairbear and for the picture Jeff!

About_Time
07-06-2012, 20:48
I'm on Bunny and SpeedStick's email journal. I'll let them know that you were checking on them.

honeyhiker
07-06-2012, 20:49
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate that : )

About_Time
07-09-2012, 15:52
I heard from Bunny. She's fine and thanks you for your assistance.

ATHikerGal
07-09-2012, 17:08
Hello, I have been receiving Bunny's AT Quest emails since the start of their Journey last year. Today's message about the trek through the White Mts was the only "agony-filled" one I've received. So I know conditions must be tough. But, she & Speedstick prevailed & will head up Mt Lincoln on Tuesday (tomorrow) I think. She & I are nurses & dulcimer-playing buddies. I have section hiked the AT upto mid-Virginia these last few years and am in awe of Speedstick & Bunny for their toughness. I want to hug and thank all you Trail Angels for giving a lift their spirits, GI tracts, and sore feet over these months. They are most grateful & her emails are filled with appreciation.

Odd Man Out
07-09-2012, 18:16
For every bad news story we hear about here, I bet there are a thousand of good news stories like this one we don't hear about. Yay!

Blissful
07-09-2012, 21:40
The Whites and Mahoosucs are tough stuff. They are underestimated by NOBOs

honeyhiker
07-13-2012, 15:08
They are VERY tough and the NOBO's have been hiking for months which makes them even harder. I heard from Bunny and she left the trail, it was just too much. Speedstick is finishing on his own. I feel bad for her but it is probably for the best. Maybe she can do that section in the future. She's a wonderful woman and I wish her all the best in life : )
Chris

tdoczi
07-13-2012, 16:02
how common is it for nobo thrus, particularly among the retiree crowd, to get to the whites and just not be able to do it? it doesn't surprise me at all, but you don't recall ever hearing about it much, which of course isn't really saying anything.

HikerMom58
07-13-2012, 18:51
Wow, I love this "story"... thanks for caring so much, Chris!! :)