PDA

View Full Version : north face pebble footprint replacement suggestions

beezner
04-21-2005, 14:07
Hi, I have a north face pebble tent, but have been unsuccessful in locating a footprint for it over the past two years. Instead I have been using a plain blue square tarp that basically fits (its a little too wide and a little too short). This has worked fine for my weekend trips, however it is a little bulky and takes up too much space for the more extended trips I will be doing this summer. I'm doing backcountry trail maintenance in Wyoming for work this summer, and I would like something more compact and effective than this bulky tarp for when I am in the field for over a week, and during extended backpacking trips in the area.
First of all if anyone has suggestions on where I can find a pebble footprint that'd be great. But otherwise I was wondering on what material you'd all suggest I'd use to make a replacement ground cover besides my blue tarp that will be durable, effective (waterproof and protective), and light and easily packable.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions

Nean
04-21-2005, 14:28
Tyvek? Works for me!

Stoker53
04-21-2005, 14:37
Tyvek is the way to go. You can try to buy small qty from bldg supply stores, yogi some at a construction site or do what I did and get it on ebay from this gentleman. All you have to do is give him the dimensions and he will cut to fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36120&item=5187024142&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

syncop8ted
02-09-2006, 17:30
But I figured others might stumble across this after me and benefit from the following information:

The Pebble tent was not part of the regular product line and does not have a footprint in production.

You may purchase one custom made directly from North Face via their Warranty/Consumer department at 800-447-2333. Cost is $35 for footprint & $6 for shipping. Very friendly people over there.

vipahman
02-09-2006, 19:44
This works great for me. 3 oz for 5'x8'. It's not noisy like some other types. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=99843

fiddlehead
02-09-2006, 23:01
YOu don't need a "footprint"
this is a rediculous item that NorthFace would love to make you believe you need.
for what?

Hana_Hanger
02-10-2006, 01:35
I agree you do not really NEED a footprint....but they are nice if you are trying to protect your tent and extend its life, add extra warmth etc.

Tyvek is great but here you must buy the whole darn roll of 100' so finding a construction site and begging on bended knee might get you a couple of pieces to tape together.
Also the thin 6 ml to 9 ml clear plastic stuff works great too.

It's very simple to make your own footprint....set up tent, put whatever you are going to use under it and trace or mark it out with a sharpie and cut.
The lighter the better and no crinkling noise is much better :)

khaynie
02-10-2006, 02:01
Ahh the TNF pebble; I thought I was the only person that had one. Well, I take that back - I saw one other couple carrying one at Upper Goose Pond cabin.

It's been a hell of a tent. My wife and I slept in ours 61 nights out of our thru-hike and it never even waivored. Before the thru-hike, I can't tell you how many overnighters and section hikes that thing has been on.

Wonder why TNF discontinued the line? It's got a great layout and perfect sized vestibule. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

syncop8ted
02-10-2006, 22:37
Ahh the TNF pebble; I thought I was the only person that had one. Well, I take that back - I saw one other couple carrying one at Upper Goose Pond cabin.

It's been a hell of a tent. My wife and I slept in ours 61 nights out of our thru-hike and it never even waivored. Before the thru-hike, I can't tell you how many overnighters and section hikes that thing has been on.

Wonder why TNF discontinued the line? It's got a great layout and perfect sized vestibule. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

And cheap too! Good ol' Campmor discounts. I've been happy in mine for a few years now.