PDA

View Full Version : Awol 2013 AT Guide

Josh Calhoun
07-06-2012, 21:34
anybody know when the 2013 guide comes out?

Don H
07-06-2012, 21:38
Last year they were out in mid January.

moytoy
07-07-2012, 05:29
AWOL sometimes is on WB and will answer questions about his guide but you can contact him through his web site. http://www.theatguide.com/
DH is correct the guide usually ships just after the first of the year.

WIAPilot
07-07-2012, 06:51
In my opinion, absolutely the best AT Guide Book out there and I have them all. Really looking forward to the new edition as I've almost worn my 2012 out.

Rain Man
07-08-2012, 10:52
anybody know when the 2013 guide comes out?

I'm guessing the author/publisher does! ~wink~ And yes, it's a great guide.

Rain:sunMan

Josh Calhoun
07-09-2012, 08:51
i have heard nothing but great thinks about his guide. i am a fan of his book as well so i thought i would give it a chance for my 2013 thru hike

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 09:23
The books are indeed coming out in mid to late January. Last year, they came out on January 21st, so I suspect it will be close to the same date.

I have corresponded with AWOL (great guy) and the fastest way to get your AT 2013 Guide Book is to preorder it in November 2012. AWOL will even be offering a discount for doing so!! This is the kind of guy that AWOL is: The books are printed in NC and the day that the books came off the presses, he and a friend drove up from FL with several hundred pre-labeled mailers. They picked up the books and literally stood in the PO putting the books in the mailers and getting them out ASAP.

I will try to keep everyone posted as to when the books are available to pre-order. And listen. I am not related to AWOL and I am sure that he wouldn't claim me if I was. :sun But everyone on WB knows that I pretty much tell it like it is. There are two "AT Guide Books" that are published each year. THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT! I ordered both so that I could compare them and I actually sent the Thru Companion back to Amazon. Absolutely no comparison in terms of the information included.

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 09:28
In my opinion, absolutely the best AT Guide Book out there and I have them all. Really looking forward to the new edition as I've almost worn my 2012 out.

not surprising given all the hiking youve been doing.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 09:30

that's funny right there

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 09:40
But everyone on WB knows that I pretty much tell it like it is. There are two "AT Guide Books" that are published each year. THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT! I ordered both so that I could compare them and I actually sent the Thru Companion back to Amazon. Absolutely no comparison in terms of the information included.

the Companion is just as good AWOLs book. matter of fact both books have way too much info

10-K
07-09-2012, 09:43
the Companion is just as good AWOLs book. matter of fact both books have way too much info

Totally agree.

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 10:19

You are absolutely right. Let me get on a plane and fly 1800 frickin' miles so that I can step foot on the AT and shut you and LW up! Jeez. I hike plenty in AZ!

But you have made a good point because there are a lot of people who are just like me. They aren't familiar with every mile of the AT. They Want to plan at least a little of their trip and find out what hostels/hotels/campgrounds are out there. They want to know about the services within the trail towns.

The Thru-Hikers' Companion Guide Book:

Does NOT list all the hostels, restaurants, and hotels in the area.
Does NOT show diagram of the hills you will be facing, but does show elevation.
Info IS really spread out unlike AWOL's where the info is all on a page or two for each area.

My advice is to buy AWOL's if you are not familiar with the AT. The Thru-Hikers' Companion IS cheaper, but not better in my opinion. And probably not that much cheaper if you get the discount. Just remember that you are going to be using this book for at least 6 months

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 10:55
back in the day before internet, books and videos, we walked the trail with the Data Book and Philosophers Guide and had no problems. nobody planned for years. way too much info these days. you want info in a town? ask a local

10-K
07-09-2012, 10:59
back in the day before internet, books and videos, we walked the trail with the Data Book and Philosophers Guide and had no problems. nobody planned for years. way too much info these days. you want info in a town? ask a local

No cell phone either...

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 11:02
No cell phone either...

...or shuttle services, hostels or trail feeds at every road crossing

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 11:07
I enjoy seeing David at Trial Days every year. His guide is easy to follow and the one I will be using. I'm hoping to create a pdf version for personal use and leave the pages at home.

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 11:11
These guys are "AT Neanderthals." :cool: And they have brilliantly illustrated my point. IF you do not want to plan; if instead you want to find a "local" and hope that he is a tour guide and is capable of giving you directions; if you have no need of staying in the hostels or knowing where the resupply points are - do not buy this book.

LW-What's your shuttle #?? We'll just let them call you instead.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 11:13
These guys are "AT Neanderthals." :cool: And they have brilliantly illustrated my point. IF you do not want to plan; if instead you want to find a "local" and hope that he is a tour guide and is capable of giving you directions; if you have no need of staying in the hostels or knowing where the resupply points are - do not buy this book.

LW-What's your shuttle #?? We'll just let them call you instead.you're gonna have a difficult time on the trail honey

10-K
07-09-2012, 11:18
I could make do without a comprehensive guide and do ok with a data book and a map but I'd really hate to not have my phone.

Really what I like about having a book more than anything is for water sources. Towns you can kinda figure out based on size, proximity to major highways, and talking to other hikers.

I carry a guide like everyone else though.... :)

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 11:25
You are absolutely right. Let me get on a plane and fly 1800 frickin' miles so that I can step foot on the AT and shut you and LW up! Jeez. I hike plenty in AZ!

But you have made a good point because there are a lot of people who are just like me. They aren't familiar with every mile of the AT. They Want to plan at least a little of their trip and find out what hostels/hotels/campgrounds are out there. They want to know about the services within the trail towns.

The Thru-Hikers' Companion Guide Book:

Does NOT list all the hostels, restaurants, and hotels in the area.
Does NOT show diagram of the hills you will be facing, but does show elevation.
Info IS really spread out unlike AWOL's where the info is all on a page or two for each area.

My advice is to buy AWOL's if you are not familiar with the AT. The Thru-Hikers' Companion IS cheaper, but not better in my opinion. And probably not that much cheaper if you get the discount. Just remember that you are going to be using this book for at least 6 months

the trail changes every year, which is why there are new guidebooks every year. next year's trail will not be the same as this year, so, youve effectively "worn out" a guidebook to a trail you will never hike. congrats.

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 11:26
you're gonna have a difficult time on the trail honey

LW-At this time next year, I'll be on the AT and life will be good. At least better than trading sarcastic quips with you! And save your "honey" for the bears. :mad:

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 11:30
LW-At this time next year, I'll be on the AT and life will be goodwe'll see. fantasy and reality ain't related

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 11:32
the trail changes every year, which is why there are new guidebooks every year. next year's trail will not be the same as this year, so, youve effectively "worn out" a guidebook to a trail you will never hike. congrats.

You cannot be this dumb. You are absolutely right. All 2,184 miles change 100% each year. No part stays the same. :-? But enough of this. I think all questions have been answered including the IQ of some hikers. Moderator, this is getting old. Please consider closing.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 11:34
You cannot be this dumb. You are absolutely right. All 2,184 miles change 100% each year. No part stays the same. :-? But enough of this. I think all questions have been answered including the IQ of some hikers. Moderator, this is getting old. Please consider closing.

you want it closed cuz you're irritaded. didn't you quit this site a few days ago? why are you here? i'm just sayin' both books are just fine

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 11:39
you're gonna have a difficult time on the trail honey

Why? Because she doesn't cower in the corner like good wimminfolks duz in yer nek o thu woodz? Because she stands up for herself to sarcastic, condescending jerks who think they're the only ones allowed an opinion because back in 1912 they yo-yo'ed the AT naked with nothing but a dull pocket knife, uphill both directions with 18 feet of snow on the ground?

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 11:41
you want it closed cuz you're irritaded. didn't you quit this site a few days ago? why are you here?

No, you illiterate jerk. She said she was going to take a break, and she did, albeit a short one. Perhaps you should brush up on your reading. I realize that would take away time from the He Man Woman Haters Club, but it will benefit you in the long run. Maybe you can even finish the 6th grade.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 12:03
Why? Because she doesn't cower in the corner like good wimminfolks duz in yer nek o thu woodz? Because she stands up for herself to sarcastic, condescending jerks who think they're the only ones allowed an opinion because back in 1912 they yo-yo'ed the AT naked with nothing but a dull pocket knife, uphill both directions with 18 feet of snow on the ground?

No, you illiterate jerk. She said she was going to take a break, and she did, albeit a short one. Perhaps you should brush up on your reading. I realize that would take away time from the He Man Woman Haters Club, but it will benefit you in the long run. Maybe you can even finish the 6th grade.
you have issues. anger is one of them. now back on topic. BOTH guides are good

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 12:08
I only have issues with jerks. Anger is not an issue. Thank you anyway, Dr. Freud.

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 12:09

I think that is a little harsh. I have a guide book as well and only sectioned a bit over 100 miles on the AT last year (I had borrowed a book for previous sections). I could have done without, but wanted to get the feel of it. I'll be getting the new book even though 95% of the books will be identical.

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 12:13
Let the fun begin......

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 12:14

heres an idea- how about we quiz you on the contents of the guidebook so you can show us all how much knowledge youve gained in preparation for your hike? the guidebooks exist precisely because remembering everything isnt possible. its a carry with you to refer to it sort of item. i have the companion myself. ive never read any of the information about any part of the trail south of waynesboro. why not? because i havevnt hiked there and reading it now because i may hike there next year is a waste of time.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 12:15
Let the fun begin......

nah. i ain't gettin' lured in by some boot :)

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 12:16
I think that is a little harsh. I have a guide book as well and only sectioned a bit over 100 miles on the AT last year (I had borrowed a book for previous sections). I could have done without, but wanted to get the feel of it. I'll be getting the new book even though 95% of the books will be identical.

last year, when you sectioned those 100 miles, did you read the parts of the guidebook pertaining to the sections you did not hike?

atmilkman
07-09-2012, 12:31
I like both books. I've only looked at the part up to Fontana Dam in my prep for my thru-hike attempt next year. I mean I really want to do it but I also have to look at it realistically. Hell, I may be gone by Neel's. Hope not but you never know. And if I do make it to Fontana then I'll start looking a little further up the trail a little bit at a time. I've looked at the whole thing (both books) but I haven't studied them in depth. On another note, doesn't the ATC and ALDHA benefit from the sale of the Companion.

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 12:32
last year, when you sectioned those 100 miles, did you read the parts of the guidebook pertaining to the sections you did not hike?

Actually, I do occasionally pull out the book when reading trail journals. I'll make notes of things that sounded interesting, like maybe a restaurant I wouldn't want to miss.

One that comes to mind: Joe To Go.........lol

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 12:37
Actually, I do occasionally pull out the book when reading trail journals. I'll make notes of things that sounded interesting, like maybe a restaurant I wouldn't want to miss.

One that comes to mind: Joe To Go.........lol

hah i would think by now we all remember that place without having to review any notes we made in a guidebook about it.

atmilkman
07-09-2012, 12:39
hah i would think by now we all remember that place without having to review any notes we made in a guidebook about it.
You got that right. Joe To Go is a must go.

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 12:40
OK. First, thank you, Coffee. You may not be a White Knight, but you are pretty darn close. :sun

And yes, I did take a break for about a week. During that time, I was really touched at how at least 20 members emailed me and asked me to come back. Most of the time, I really love WB. Am I too opinionated? Probably. But being passionate about what I believe in is part of my DNA. Obviously, I am not alone in this respect.

But let's all just take a deep breath. There is no need for all this animosity. Unfortunately, I am goaded simply for the amusement of many of the long time members because they know that I will react.

Many future AT hikers use the AT Guide to plan their trip. They check out hostels and hotels; plan their mileage and mail drops and then usually throw out many of these plans the first week. LOL But for anyone interested in learning everything you can about the AT, the AWOL Guide Book is invaluable.

max patch
07-09-2012, 12:50
And yes, I did take a break for about a week.

Actually 4 days.

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 12:53
Pilot and Coffee?
http://thewisecracker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Witch-Monty-Python-Holy-Grail.jpg

(i have Awol's guide and like the miled landmarks, streams etc)

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 12:58
OK. First, thank you, Coffee. You may not be a White Knight, but you are pretty darn close. :sun

And yes, I did take a break for about a week. During that time, I was really touched at how at least 20 members emailed me and asked me to come back. Most of the time, I really love WB. Am I too opinionated? Probably. But being passionate about what I believe in is part of my DNA. Obviously, I am not alone in this respect.

But let's all just take a deep breath. There is no need for all this animosity. Unfortunately, I am goaded simply for the amusement of many of the long time members because they know that I will react.

Many future AT hikers use the AT Guide to plan their trip. They check out hostels and hotels; plan their mileage and mail drops and then usually throw out many of these plans the first week. LOL But for anyone interested in learning everything you can about the AT, the AWOL Guide Book is invaluable.

i dont know if this was directed at all towards me, but i mean no animosity, despite having been called names for having the nerve to state that ive hiked in the desert in 100 degree heat. i have no idea how far you will get on your thru, or if youll even ever start it. thats not the point. what i am fairly certain of is this- if you fail in your thru next year, it wont be because you didnt sit around reading this years guidebook, and if you succeed, it will not be because you did. thats serious advice and not trying to pick a fight.

Rasty
07-09-2012, 12:58
It's a Fair Court!:)

Not starting with pilot or coffee. It's just what the witch said in the movie.

Pilot and Coffee?
http://thewisecracker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Witch-Monty-Python-Holy-Grail.jpg

(i have Awol's guide and like the miled landmarks, streams etc)

bfayer
07-09-2012, 13:13
ive never read any of the information about any part of the trail south of waynesboro. why not? because i havevnt hiked there and reading it now because i may hike there next year is a waste of time.

I read parts of the guide just to see if I might want to plan a section hike there. I may never make it there, but I still read it.

I went to Germany this last spring and bought several guides and spent time reading about areas I knew I would never go. I even bought one for Italy just in case I made side trip, and read it too.

Guides are good for planning, dreaming, taking with you, and just reading for fun.

You may think reading a guide ahead of time is a waste of time, I don't, and I know a lot of others that feel the same way.

V Eight
07-09-2012, 13:16
“Really looking forward to the new edition as I've almost worn my 2012 out.”
That one made me laugh out loud!

"But everyone on WB knows that I pretty much tell it like it is. There are two "AT Guide Books" that are published each year. THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT!"
It's nice that you know EXACTLY what it is that Josh would like to see in a Guide of the AT.

"You are absolutely right. Let me get on a plane and fly 1800 frickin' miles so that I can step foot on the AT and shut you and LW up! Jeez. I hike plenty in AZ!"
It might help if you did! It would sure make it easier to take you seriously.

Bless your heart!

The thing is, with nearly everything you say on just about any given topic, yours is the only "true way"
"THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT!" comes to mind this time.

If you expect to really be taken seriously, you HAVE to walk at least some of the trail that is the topic of discussion. Personalty, I don't care if you have 1000's of miles on Arizona trails. Everything you say about the AT is pure speculation and hearsay period.You have no personal
experience. That is like me having hiked "plenty" in North Carolina giving someone advice on hiking
in Alaska. Are there parallels, of course, but it's the details that will get you dead.

Just so you you don't get the impression that I am here sticking up for LW, I'm Not. But everyone on WB knows that LW pretty much tell it like it is.

Back on subject;

Josh, I too like AWOL's guide better than the others. For me, it has the info that is important
to me and my style of hiking.

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 13:21
not sure exactly what there is to "read" in the Awol guide.. I think it is good to see what you have in store for the day but planning very far ahead doesn't tend to work.. you go short one day.. long another day. That is how i am planning my LT hike.. and why i probably won't ever do the whole AT.

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 13:27
not sure exactly what there is to "read" in the Awol guide.. I think it is good to see what you have in store for the day but planning very far ahead doesn't tend to work.. you go short one day.. long another day. That is how i am planning my LT hike.. and why i probably won't ever do the whole AT.

oh c'mon thats clearly a real page turner right there. i'm going to start on it as soon as i'm finished with this year's phone book : )

Rasty
07-09-2012, 13:30
There will be a quiz at 3:00 p.m. It will account for 25% of your grade this term. :rolleyes:

oh c'mon thats clearly a real page turner right there. i'm going to start on it as soon as i'm finished with this year's phone book : )

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 13:33
Actually 4 days.

Not that you're paying attention or anything. But I'm a WK. Love it. Better a WK than a cyberstalker eh?

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 13:36
I read parts of the guide just to see if I might want to plan a section hike there. I may never make it there, but I still read it.

I went to Germany this last spring and bought several guides and spent time reading about areas I knew I would never go. I even bought one for Italy just in case I made side trip, and read it too.

Guides are good for planning, dreaming, taking with you, and just reading for fun.

You may think reading a guide ahead of time is a waste of time, I don't, and I know a lot of others that feel the same way.

Careful there, bfay. You'll anger the WB demigods with your blasphemy.

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 13:41
There will be a quiz at 3:00 p.m. It will account for 25% of your grade this term. :rolleyes:

gaddamitt 1 hr to cram.. gotta focus on places i wont ever go... PA ! yes PA .. uhmm cornfield, south end (what happened to the north end?).. just north of Alec kennedy shelter.. mi 111.3.. rock maze at 1106.2 and 1106.6.. not sure why there is a maze but it must be important

:confused: so gunna bomb this

Mags
07-09-2012, 13:44
Cripe guys. I've seen monkeys flinging poo with more subtlety.

Keep the poo flinging to PMing.

Hell, start your own chat room if you want and you can insult each other all day long:
http://www.chatzy.com/

Have fun!

Further poo flinging posts will be edited to have pictures of monkeys... :D

Alligator
07-09-2012, 13:50
Several of you are just one post away from getting put into time out. Enough baiting and arguing. Use the ignore button already folks.