PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Gap to Damascus

Veetack
07-07-2012, 04:39
So I'm considering pulling this section some time in August to complete my hiking for the summer. School starts for me on August 28th and I won't have the time to do anything but day hikes for a while at that point. what I'm trying to figure out is how long I need to pull it off. I made it from Springer to Fontana in just under 10 days, and did the park in just under 5. The most I can alot for this hike is 12 days. It looks as if I'm looking art about 225.1 miles, meaning I'd need to average 18.75 miles daily. I honestly don't see that being an issue, but I'm wondering if it's a pipe dream. Also, are there any outs between Erwin and Damascus assuming I weren't able to meet my goal?

10-K
07-07-2012, 06:28
You can do it.... There is not a section of this trail that I can't hike 20-25 miles a day on and I'm old. :)

A lot of up and down till you get past 19E but the trail is mostly switchbacked and there are no real obstacles to slow you down.

Veetack
07-07-2012, 07:02
You can do it.... There is not a section of this trail that I can't hike 20-25 miles a day on and I'm old. :)

A lot of up and down till you get past 19E but the trail is mostly switchbacked and there are no real obstacles to slow you down.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

wornoutboots
07-07-2012, 11:18
Definately Doable & I say HYOH, but do you want to?? there are so many fun places along this section & thongs to see along the way, ie: several Falls, Kincora, Greasy Creek, Mnt Harbor, Hemlock Hollow, Max patch, Hot Springs, The Humps,Big Bald, Watuaga & more. So don't kill yourself "just getting" to Damascus! Make sure you research all of the shuttlers in these areas just in case your having too much fun on your journey, bail short & don't make it to Damascus. Enjoy!

Veetack
07-07-2012, 16:14
That is the problem with section hiking. I have a drop dead date that I need to reach my goal. Unfortunately that means I need to cover a minimum number of miles each day. I'm ok with that really, because I genuinely enjoy just seeing how many miles I can put under me in a day. I do know there's lots to see and I'd love to see it. I think I honestly can doing 18 a day with the length of daylight hours right now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend the night in Hot Springs and Erwin when I do this, assuming I can work everything out with my ride. I'd really love to have 25% of the trail done this summer so I can reach Harpers Ferry by the end of next summer too.

ChinMusic
07-07-2012, 16:50
The section you have planned is slightly easier, def not harder, than the sections you have already done. You know from your track record what you can do. Sounds like you have a good plan.