PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way for a foreigner to pay for a thru hike?

Clueless Canuck
07-07-2012, 05:41
Greetings WhiteBlaze!

I have grown tired of living in my Canadian igloo, and long for a more civilized life in a tent, so I have decided to thru hike the AT in 2013. I've researched most aspects of thru hiking, but I haven't found a lot of information for hiking the trail if you aren't from the USA. My main concern is how I will pay for things on the trail. I'm still debating between traveller's cheques, a debit card, or a credit card. If anyone has any input on what the best option is, I'd really appreciate it. I'm slightly leaning towards traveller's cheques, but I don't know how widely accepted they would be in trail towns.

MuddyWaters
07-07-2012, 06:01
I am able to use my credit card in europe while travelliing, no different from If I was in the US. The credit card network is global today, at least for visa and amex. Find an ATM, withdraw euros, the card company does the conversion at current rates. I imagine you will find similar.

Id bring a card, and carry some cash. Travelers cheques are basically a historical footnote today. And you likely wont find anyplace to take them.

fiddlehead
07-07-2012, 06:04
Nah, travellers checks are a thing of the past.
OK, some places might still accept them but, not many.
Many won't even know what they are.

Cash is king.
You can get cash from an ATM although I'm sure you'll have to pay an international fee each time you use it.
Each time there's a fee plus a small percentage. ($5 by my American bank + about $5 by the ATM bank in Thailand anyway) + a small percentage)
So, take out a bunch each time, it adds up.

I would recommend you take out $300-500 each time and carry it in a safe place.
(if you have to leave your pack anywhere except on your back or by your side, put the money belt on)

I've been traveling like that for years and even carry thousands sometimes and never been robbed.
Just be careful and be streetwise.
Don't let on (to anyone) that you have it and put $30 and some ID in a ziplock like everyone else in town and you'll be fine.

Yes, you can pay often times with a credit card, but, again, there will be an international fee.
Unless you can come up with a bank up there in igloo-country that won't charge you one. There are some around.
Charles Shaub (or however you spell it) is one I believe.

Good luck and have fun.
You've made a good choice.

Clueless Canuck
07-07-2012, 06:06
Thank you for the response.

I don't have a credit card at the moment, so I'd have to get one before my hike if that's what I was going to use. I haven't researched credit cards a whole lot yet, but would it be advantageous to get a pre paid card?

OzJacko
07-07-2012, 06:22
I'm getting a card here in Australia that is like a credit card but we can "preload" it with a credit balance of one or more foreign currencies. This enables me to lock in the exchange rate on the day I load it.
I will also carry a standard credit card and some cash.

Clueless Canuck
07-07-2012, 06:29
Thank you for your response.

I'll definitely consider going this route (especially if credit card fees look too excessive).

Don H
07-07-2012, 08:06
You should carry some cash with you. You'll find places along the trail that don't take credit or debit cards and sometimes the only ATM in town is empty.
I found the easiest way to get cash was to charge a purchase on my credit card at a store and ask for additional cash back, maybe $50 or $100. There is no charge for this service and many stores (not all) will do this.
Some places like the Post Office and some stores give cash back with debit cards only, not with credit cards. If I were to do it again I would carry a debit card, not a credit card.

The Old Boot
07-07-2012, 09:23
You should carry some cash with you. You'll find places along the trail that don't take credit or debit cards and sometimes the only ATM in town is empty.
I found the easiest way to get cash was to charge a purchase on my credit card at a store and ask for additional cash back, maybe $50 or $100. There is no charge for this service and many stores (not all) will do this.
Some places like the Post Office and some stores give cash back with debit cards only, not with credit cards. If I were to do it again I would carry a debit card, not a credit card.

As a fellow Canadian, it's important to note that our Canadian debit cards are not usable in the US.

When I travelled extensively and regularly in the US, I opened a US bank account and got a debit card for it. If you're anywhere near the border or go stateside regularly, take a look at doing so (I did it pre 911). Having the US bank account meant that I could change canadian money into US dollars when the rate was favourable and stock-pile it in the US bank for when I needed it. I also usually stopped at the bank just before crossing back into Canada and deposited any left-over US money into it.

The bank may require you to jump through a few hoops (like getting a SSN issued) but it's worth it to be able to travel with a debit card rather than having to worry about how much cash you're carrying.

Snowleopard
07-07-2012, 10:52
I'd use a credit card or debit card to withdraw cash from ATMs and pay with credit cards at places that accept them.
Ask your bank about using their ATM cards in the USA.
I know TD Bank started as a Canadian bank and says:
"Free ATM access at over 5,400 TD Bank and TD Canada Trust ATMs"
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/north-american-banking-services/index.jsp

atraildreamer
07-07-2012, 11:15
Use gold coins...a little heavy to carry, but accepted worldwide! :D:banana

Coffee Rules!
07-07-2012, 14:36

Is there a UL model available?

BFI
07-07-2012, 14:40
I was on the trail this year and I'm an ex BC'er living on the East Coast now. Travelers’ cheques (checks) are a thing of the past. Use a Visa/Debit card and you will be fine. I used my CIBC debit card at motels, grocery stores, convenience stores, & Outfitters during my trip without any problems. Try going to a store in your home town with a Travelers’ cheque and they will look at you like your Blinky the Three Eyed fish.

kayak karl
07-07-2012, 14:44
YES there are. how many would you like? i accept all cards and paypal :D

BFI
07-07-2012, 14:47

As a fellow Canadian, it's important to note that our Canadian debit cards are not usable in the US.

When I travelled extensively and regularly in the US, I opened a US bank account and got a debit card for it. If you're anywhere near the border or go stateside regularly, take a look at doing so (I did it pre 911). Having the US bank account meant that I could change canadian money into US dollars when the rate was favourable and stock-pile it in the US bank for when I needed it. I also usually stopped at the bank just before crossing back into Canada and deposited any left-over US money into it.

The bank may require you to jump through a few hoops (like getting a SSN issued) but it's worth it to be able to travel with a debit card rather than having to worry about how much cash you're carrying.

Again, My CIBC Debit Card was used extensively on my trip WITHOUT any problems ! You should keep about $100.00 in cash to pay for shuttles and some Hostels want Cash only!

Coffee Rules!
07-07-2012, 14:48
YES there are. how many would you like? i accept all cards and paypal :D

Let me start with eleventeen and go from there. I guess like everything else UL they're extra expensive, right? Don't think of pulling anything shady. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week, so you can't fool me.

etboy
07-07-2012, 15:46
I'm not sure if all banks are the same, but when I was back in England a few years ago, Bank of America charged me 25% when they converted from dollars to pounds when using my BoA debit card. I will never use one abroad again.
E.T.

Sly
07-07-2012, 16:20
Thank you for the response.

I don't have a credit card at the moment, so I'd have to get one before my hike if that's what I was going to use. I haven't researched credit cards a whole lot yet, but would it be advantageous to get a pre paid card?

Open a bank account and get a debit card. Look for one that doesn't charge ATM fees and use it at places that give cash back when you can.

Found this regarding Canadian banks

HSBC and PC financial both only charge $3 for all non-Canadian ABMs. PC financial however doesn't have the $4 monthly fee that HSBC does.

Just take out the max and the $3 will be cheap enough.

rocketsocks
07-07-2012, 16:36
Use gold coins...a little heavy to carry, but accepted worldwide! :D:bananaAn old saying "Always keep enough gold to bribe the boarder guards", in troubled times, not a bad idea, hopefuly it never comes to this.I get /buy a prepaid credit card, good anywhere in the US, with what ever denomination you want.Because it is a prepaid, you have to be careful, as it is not check with a signiture like a regular credit card. but safer I guess than handling a bunch of cash.Have a great hike, welcome to the US.cheers

Rasty
07-07-2012, 16:37

I would love to see the face of the cashier at the supermarket if you tried that!:-?

Veetack
07-07-2012, 16:41
I don't know about Canada, but hikers I've met from other countries were only able to obtain a visa for 3 months. I do believe Canadians can stay for longer, but I'd definitely look to how long you can be in the country sans employment.

rocketsocks
07-07-2012, 16:47
I would love to see the face of the cashier at the supermarket if you tried that!:-?Crazy isn't it, they wouldn't know what to do, and neither would I ;)

Clueless Canuck
07-07-2012, 17:11
Thank you for all of the replies. I didn't realize traveller's cheques had become so outdated, so I'll definitely be looking at a debit card or credit card.

Clueless Canuck
07-07-2012, 17:18
I don't know about Canada, but hikers I've met from other countries were only able to obtain a visa for 3 months. I do believe Canadians can stay for longer, but I'd definitely look to how long you can be in the country sans employment.

As far as I know, Canada is not part of the visa waiver program (which is what limits some countries to 90 days), and Canadians can stay up to 180 days in the USA without a visa (though I believe border guards can limit or prohibit your stay for no reason).

Rasty
07-07-2012, 17:30
Crazy isn't it, they wouldn't know what to do, and neither would I ;)

Neither would I, my point of sale system does not have a currency calculator nor a scale.

theinfamousj
07-07-2012, 19:28
Greetings WhiteBlaze!

I have grown tired of living in my Canadian igloo, and long for a more civilized life in a tent, so I have decided to thru hike the AT in 2013. I've researched most aspects of thru hiking, but I haven't found a lot of information for hiking the trail if you aren't from the USA. My main concern is how I will pay for things on the trail. I'm still debating between traveller's cheques, a debit card, or a credit card. If anyone has any input on what the best option is, I'd really appreciate it. I'm slightly leaning towards traveller's cheques, but I don't know how widely accepted they would be in trail towns.

HSBC and RBC are both present in the United States. I've heard that you can, if you have an account in Canada, talk to someone at the branch for a way to access your money in US$ with your debit card without many fees at all.

BFI
07-07-2012, 20:16

Six Months is the Limit then go back to Canada step on the ground and return for another 6 months if needed. Its the same for US citizen in Canada. I'd also look into Health Insurance (Blue Cross).

OzJacko
07-07-2012, 20:31
I wish I was Canadian.
Standard - no visa required - entry for Australians is a 3 month limit. I think the same for most western countries.
With application through consul beforehand 6 months can be got fairly easily but not generally given for more than 6 months.
I hope I don't have any great delays....

Coffee Rules!
07-08-2012, 03:54
OzJacko, don't worry if you overstay your visa. You can just join the millions of illegal imm--oh wait, it would be political to finish that comment.

Hairbear
07-08-2012, 04:29
heres how i got my money together.i worked extra work on the weekends two week ends a month so i could pull money without taking away from the normal flow of income from my family obligation.i discovered that in reality im a minimalist and didnt need things in my life cluttering it up so everything i had that i didnt use i sold and put in an account in my name only, dont boo ladies.being a minimalist married to a mini mallist has its challenges.buy gear as you go one piece at a time .buy last years models and used gear to save money.think things through as you buy dont buy something and then decide you know i need a lighter version and spend money twice.when i leave im going to take my truck to where im starting and sell it .get a debit card in america you can get cash as you go and if it is lost you can cancel it without your money being gone too.i wouldnt carry gold or coins for that matter dont like the weight or something digging into my leg when hiking,debit cards take exact amount no change.Become a cronic tight azz.watch every purchace every pennie you spend now pushes you one step back on the trail later.good day hoser and good luck.

fiddlehead
07-08-2012, 04:30
I wish I was Canadian.
Standard - no visa required - entry for Australians is a 3 month limit. I think the same for most western countries.
With application through consul beforehand 6 months can be got fairly easily but not generally given for more than 6 months.
I hope I don't have any great delays....

Australia is one of the hardest for us to get into also. It's the only country that ever turned me down for a visa.
Said I had to know someone there. I put an address down next time and was then approved.
Yeah, even my wife only gets 6 months at a time in the US.

Don't overstay any visas in America. Just google the Dutch lady who was put in shackles and chains for 3 days because of a slight overstay a few years back.

OzJacko
07-08-2012, 04:36
I'm afraid I must not overstay. Unlike your "illegals" I don't want to stay permanently but I do want to visit again. Overstay and I don't think they let me back in.

Re being "political", I have not seen that any evidence an illegal immigrant cares who is in power and while some parties espouse "stronger" action the real problem is the factors driving illegal immigrants, not the differences in "willingness" to accept them that one political party has over the other.
This is not a specific statement on the USA, but a generic one for every western country who are all suffering this problem. In the US you obviously have a lot more problem than we do as we have no land borders, but our relatively small numbers are cause for just as much political point scoring as you have.
Many of the suggested policies parties not in power suggest they will look at will never be adopted once they are in power because they contravene all sorts of human rights legislation.
My opinion - sorry but I think it's a problem that there is no easy fix for. Long term issue that needs long term answers which is hard too find when we elect governments for short terms. In "The Republic" over two thousand years ago, Plato observed that one of the drawbacks of democracy is that governments get elected on the popularity of their policies not their "rightness". Who am I to argue with that.

mcnewb
07-08-2012, 11:55
As others have said, open a bank account in the US and get a debit card. If that doesn't work, Paypal has a pre-loadable card. Also Citibank offers a number of credit cards that have no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee. American Excess also offers Blue Sky card which also has no annual/foreign transaction fees. These may be good options for you.

The Old Boot
07-08-2012, 13:40
Six Months is the Limit then go back to Canada step on the ground and return for another 6 months if needed. Its the same for US citizen in Canada. I'd also look into Health Insurance (Blue Cross).

Not a good plan - especially for a Canadian to do. All our provinces have mandatory residency requirements or else you can lose your provincial health insurance coverage. BC is 'must be present and accounted for for 6 months and a day of every 12 months', Ontario is a little looser, I have an extra few weeks to play with.

There's a reason all of our snowbirds don't go past their six month mark of staying in the US.

And yes, definitely look at 'out of country' health coverage before you travel to the US. What each provincial health insurance plan pays for hospital/emergency care varies but it won't begin to cover what hospitals/ER's etc charge for services. Ontario pays something like (don't make me look it up again...sigh) $400.00 a day for any bed including ICU, which is peanuts compared to the charge.

Shop around, I found a wide variance in coverage and cost, depending not only on age but where and how long you were going to be out of country.

atraildreamer
07-08-2012, 14:26

Yes...also edible in a pinch! :D :banana

BFI
07-08-2012, 17:13
Not a good plan - especially for a Canadian to do. All our provinces have mandatory residency requirements or else you can lose your provincial health insurance coverage. BC is 'must be present and accounted for for 6 months and a day of every 12 months', Ontario is a little looser, I have an extra few weeks to play with.

There's a reason all of our snowbirds don't go past their six month mark of staying in the US.

And yes, definitely look at 'out of country' health coverage before you travel to the US. What each provincial health insurance plan pays for hospital/emergency care varies but it won't begin to cover what hospitals/ER's etc charge for services. Ontario pays something like (don't make me look it up again...sigh) $400.00 a day for any bed including ICU, which is peanuts compared to the charge.

Shop around, I found a wide variance in coverage and cost, depending not only on age but where and how long you were going to be out of country.

There are lots of exceptions to the basic rules, just ask any Canadian who has worked overseas or out of province, which I have done, for an extended period (longer than 6 months). You are correct in the 6 month residence rule when it comes to holiday/visiting time periods.
In regards to medical, If an individual has a pre-existing medical condition the Province or Insurance company will not cover the cost of any medical treatments that arise from the condition in the U.S. . As Canadians are very fortunate to have the medical system we have, and we should be thankful for it, but it doesn’t cover everything especially in the U.S. . At 18 years old you may be able to purchase a "Rider" on your parents medical insurance which would be cheaper than an individual policy. Enjoy your hike...

Odd Man Out
07-08-2012, 23:50

Just put the gold coins in your dehydrator.

Hairbear
07-09-2012, 00:43
carry two debit cards if one is having trouble you have a back up

turtle fast
07-09-2012, 12:25
At 18 its tough to get a traditional credit card, especially with the world economy now and without a job (ie. generating income). Your best bet is to get a prepaid visa card and take some extra cash out when you make purchases with it at the bigger stores in town. You can also get a prepaid debit card that can be used at ATM's to obtain cash....this combination with a few hundred dollars is probably the best way to go. I think you are limited to a 6 month stay, which is enough to finish the trail..and if you think about it if you did need more time if you hiked northbound (like most thrus) you would be closer to Canada and take a bus to say Niagara Falls or such and it resets your clock when you come back to the US. However, you probably will not need to do it as 6 months is usually more than enough time to finish the trail.

RockyRoo
07-12-2012, 15:10
Clueless- talk to your bank and see if you can get a "cash passport". We got one thru our local bank back home in australia. It is a MasterCard so is accepted (although doesn't always work online) you load x amount of whatever currency you want. You can reload if you need. Protected by pin and is not linked to your normal account - so if it is lost/stolen it has no risk to your account.

Oz Jacko you can stay here for three months then fly to Canada/Mexico etc for a bit then re-enter for another three months. Likewise, you can apply to the US embassy for B1/B2 visa which allows for a six month visit, and multiple visits for 5 years on an oz passport, or 10 years if you hold an NZ passport. Not hard to get, just need to show proof of assets that you need to return to after your visit to the US.

RockyRoo
07-12-2012, 15:11
Ps - don't forget travellers insurance!!!

OzJacko
07-13-2012, 03:42
Thanks RockyRoo!
Am definitely having insurance. Will be getting the 6 month visa.
Puzzled as to why NZ'ers get more access than us. We didn't ban nuclear ships from visiting....
:-)

huhman
07-13-2012, 18:50
I used to travel back and forth to NYC a lot. ATMs in the U.S. will take Canadian bank debit cards. The catch is that the american bank and your bank will charge for each withdrawal, so to save money as someone suggested earlier take out more dough at a time. I used to take out 400 bucks at a time. Don't use the debit card for small interac purchases outside of Canada.

I'm not sure why people are suggesting that you use a canadian credit card. First of all you pay exhorbitant fees for withdrawing money on them and I can't imagine what the fees would be outside of Canada. If your using it to buy supplies again you'll get screwed. Stick with cash, bring the credit card in case you need to buy an unexpected flight home or replace all of your gear.

I suppose you could try and open an american bank account just not sure it's worth the hassle. It sounds to me you don't have much dough and are trying to keep this cheap. You could get by without a credit card at all but if your stuck with no gear and no way home a credit card definitely helps.

huhman
07-13-2012, 18:51
Oh yeah definitely get insurance as well. May be pricy for a 3-6 month stay though. Try to figure out the deductibles and all that before you leave. Having to pay 3-5k for a sprained ankle would suck.

Clueless Canuck
07-14-2012, 05:30
Thanks again for all of the helpful replies! At this point I think I'm leaning towards using a debit card of some kind, and I'm definitely getting traveller's insurance. I don't want my parents to go through the shock of seeing a several thousand dollars bill to bring my body back to Canada after I am inevitably mauled by a bear.

OzJacko
07-14-2012, 07:07
Thanks again for all of the helpful replies! At this point I think I'm leaning towards using a debit card of some kind, and I'm definitely getting traveller's insurance. I don't want my parents to go through the shock of seeing a several thousand dollars bill to bring my body back to Canada after I am inevitably mauled by a bear.
Dying would be one of the cheaper outcomes CC.
A quick cremation and the ashes can be transported real easy.
It's dealing with the loss of a limb or two that can get expensive....:D
Reassure your parents by saying death is more likely than serious injury....:banana

Mrs Baggins
07-14-2012, 07:25
The advice to get a US bank account if you're traveling here.....how long ago was that possible? If you're opening an account here now you had better be able to prove residency.

The Old Boot
07-14-2012, 08:26
The advice to get a US bank account if you're traveling here.....how long ago was that possible? If you're opening an account here now you had better be able to prove residency.

Border states and high 'snow-bird' states are accustomed to Canadians needing to have US banking services. You do have to jump through a bunch of hoops - passport, id, explanation that makes sense to the bank officials etc. but it's not impossible. We're in a world of global banking these days.

The small home town branch in east nowhere of a state that doesn't see Canadians except, maybe, occasionally, on the interstate would be of no help whatsoever. A larger bank in Washington state (OP is from BC) would be much more understanding and accomodating.

Over the course of 14 years of having US bank accounts (including after 9/11) I had bank accounts in New York, Florida, Indiana/Michigan (same bank, moved branches for that one).

A US bank account would allow the OP to move money to the US when the currency rate is favourable, then use a debit card at minimal cost when travelling. If the OP lives fairly close to the border it's well worth him looking into at least.

huhman
07-14-2012, 15:12
Forgot to mention if you do get a debit card you may want to call the bank to tell them you're travelling. If you've never had an account before and no credit history they may freeze the account on you, if all of a sudden withdrawals start popping up in podunk Georgia . . .