PDA

View Full Version : Friends on the AT..

WIAPilot
07-07-2012, 07:01
Did you hike with one group or one friend? Several friends or groups? Was there any one hiker that you especially hit it off with? Or did you hike alone?

Don H
07-07-2012, 07:49
Many thruhikers tend to hike alone during the day and meet up at shelters at the end of the day. I found the groups were very fluid. I'd see people for several days in a row and then not see them for a month, or maybe never see them again.

I met some great people along the way and keep in touch with some. I think you connect with other hikers because you had the same experiences.

coach lou
07-07-2012, 08:17
I can only speak from sectioning experience. In my old age I'm hiking more alone, my friends are OLD or no longer with us.That would be Joe, who I've hiked everywhere with! And, I'm finding that I do enjoy alone, but I camp at or near shelters for the water and people. I do like people, I usually strike up a conversation with anyone who'll stay long enough to listen, as what happened on our walk in Mass. The Sharple boys caught up to us on a climb, we chatted, they moved on. We met again near Tom Leonard, they were a tad bewildered, they followed me. We shot the breeze that nite. The next day we all had dinner at South Wilcox.....ta-da.....friends for life. I've found the AT has always been that way. As far as the actual walk, I don't like being up someones butt [even Sherries] and I let people pass if they get up mine. When I walk with newbies or children, I remind them of the Tortoise and the Hare.

fiddlehead
07-07-2012, 08:50
Different hikes, different folks. Sometimes alone too.
Depends on the situation.

Best to not make plans as they usually don't work out.
Everyone has their own pace. You won't find people to hike with (with yours) until you get there.

Then you might not like them.
Just go and go with the flow.

It makes the hike a lot tougher if you are always waiting for someone or they are always waiting for you.
Takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it for both of you.

Of course many try it.
Up to you.

WingedMonkey
07-07-2012, 09:00
The ability to have friends on the trail determines rather or not you can hike with them.

Spokes
07-07-2012, 10:20
Many thruhikers tend to hike alone during the day and meet up at shelters at the end of the day....

This is true. It's not hard to get a trail family on the AT and ultimately it's up to you to decide if hiking alone or together during the day is your thing. Sometimes you do just because it's easier making it to a road crossing for a hitch into town with a buddy to share motel expenses for example.

I found by the time I reached New Hampshire my little group tended to stay together simply because we were pounding out the miles ane we were having just too damn much fun.