PDA

View Full Version : Georgia River Trails

C2
07-07-2012, 12:55
Last year, my friends and I hiked along a nice section of the Jacks River Trail in August for a couple of days. It was nice because there was plenty of water, great places to stop and swim and cool off, and it seemed a little cooler along the river. We'd like to do the same thing again this year - hike 2 or 3 days covering ~25 miles of trail. Has anyone done any similiar hikes along other rivers in north Georgia that they recommend?

Thanks.

C2

Malto
07-07-2012, 16:34
Chattooga on the Ga/SC border, the river in deliverance. Nice easy trail, great hike. Also the Conasauga River trail near the Jacks river trail is is cool area if you don't mind getting your feet wet. It has 38 stream crossings in its 13 mile length (one way)

Mountain Dog
07-14-2012, 09:41
gg-man, Do you know the current conditions of the Conassauga river trail? Is the trail easy to follow and is the water high? I'm thinking about doing it solo as an out and back. I'll allow one night unless I will loose time trying to stay on course. Thanks. BTW C2, give the Chattooga a shot. It is a good trail and fairly easy. Take a rod and catch some fish.

C2
07-15-2012, 13:55
Thank you gentlemen for the suggestions. I suspect I will give both trails a hike. C2

max patch
07-16-2012, 09:27
Its probably been 20 years since I hiked a portion of the Chatooga River Trail, but I recall (hopefully accurately) 2 things about the trip:

1. For a "river trail" the trail seemed to spend a whole more time in the woods rather than next to the river. If this is important to you I'd try to find a review of this trail.

2. We camped next to the water and on my first cast (I'd taken my lightweight spinning rod) I caught a trout. That was the only one, however.

C2
09-10-2012, 20:33
My friends and I hiked the Conasauga River trail a couple of weekends back. It was a great trip. We did it as an out and back. The trail was easy to follow for the most part and it stayed close to the river. Thanks again for the suggestions. C2

ATMountainTime
09-11-2012, 14:47
Cohutta/Jacks River is pretty great. I did Panther Creek not long ago, it's pretty awesome too.

maybe Max Patch can help, but there's one along the Chatooga River I did years ago, not sure they allow of trail camping any more, just remember thats where ned beaty got his toncils checked :)