PDA

View Full Version : how many people have:

MedicineMan
12-23-2002, 03:11
How many people have a 2 x 5 inch white rectangle painted somewhere on their house,apartment,car, or tree or post in their yard?
I was walking up to a friends house not long ago and saw the familiar blaze on a post supporting the roof over his poarch. It was reassuring indeed. Often while hiking Cathy calls them 'cb's' for comfort blazes when the trail is obvious but you just want to know for sure.

Lone Wolf
12-23-2002, 05:05
I have a BLUE-blaze on my front door. Seriously.

MedicineMan
12-23-2002, 05:32
I can almost picture it! How 'bout a yellow blaze on the bathroom door too.

Kerosene
12-23-2002, 10:21
I added one of the souvenir AT "diamond" markers to a guidebook order from ATC awhile back. It hung on the wall above my home PC for awhile, but I just put in steps up the hill by the side of my driveway through a few trees. I've tacked the marker to a pine tree at the top of the slope. Just like many trail blazes, it's only visible if you're looking for it! :D

Minerva
12-23-2002, 11:17
Sounds like a good spring project. I have the paint and the brush from maintenance trips I've done between Rtes 140 and 103. I do have an ATC sticker on the mailbox out at the road. I feel very lucky to live at the base of Bear Mountain in Vermont on the western side of the mtn. The real white blazes are awfully close, in fact I can see White Rocks as I type this post, so I never felt the need for comfort blazes here in my yard. Now you've inspired me to put a double blaze on the wooden mailbox post.
Cin

SGT Rock
12-23-2002, 11:23
Cool idea.

Lone Wolf
12-23-2002, 11:28
I live right behind Cowboy's in Damascus so I can see white blazes too.

Minerva
12-23-2002, 11:44
The road I live on parallels the trail between 140 and 103. Sometimes hikers walk the road instead of the trail. If I put the double white blaze on the mailbox, we're probably going to get some visitors, so I should paint them yellow and not white.... :-)
Cin

poison_ivy
12-23-2002, 13:05
It's funny I never thought of white blazes until now... my house is off a dirt road with a couple of forks that wanders through the woods. There are red bicycle reflectors on trees near the forks so we can tell people "just follow the reflectors" when they haven't been there before.

It would be so much cooler to say "just follow the white blazes..." I don't know why I never thought of it.

I wonder if the neighbors would mind... :)

Hammock Hanger
12-23-2002, 17:10
I have a white blaze by my front door. I also have one of those brown hiker signs you see on the side of the road with two hiker figures, in my office. Hammock Hanger