PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain parking lot...Car vandalized...

Suckerfish
07-07-2012, 14:51
I did a section hike this past week and last Saturday my girlfriend dropped me off at the parking lot that is about a mile from the summit of springer. We saw a burgandy hyandi sedan in the parking lot that had it's rear window busted in. The car looked as though it was vandalized by a human that attempted to make it look like a bear did it.

I just wanted to post an FYI for anyone who is hiking who might know who owns the vehicle. It appears to have been there for a while, at least over a month it seems.

Suckerfish
07-07-2012, 14:56
Pick of the car...

hikingshoes
07-07-2012, 15:13
I was up there and seen it as well. I talk a shuttle driver about it, he stated the hail busted the windows out and a bear pulled the foam out of the seats. It look like there was a cooler in the back seat what was left of it.HS

Suckerfish
07-07-2012, 15:19
I don't know about that, there was a giant log there, you can see it in the pic, and the top of the car is dented it pretty good. Hale doesnt knock windows out like that. Also we were up there 3 weeks prior and there was a tarp duck tapes all down the car which was removed when we saw it.

CD's looked plummaged in the console as well, I doubt a bear would life the console and shift through CDs as well as lifing up the floorboard carpet.

It looked vandalized by a human to me. However I am no expert, just a concerned hiker.

hikingshoes
07-07-2012, 15:49
I don't know about that, there was a giant log there, you can see it in the pic, and the top of the car is dented it pretty good. Hale doesnt knock windows out like that. Also we were up there 3 weeks prior and there was a tarp duck tapes all down the car which was removed when we saw it.

CD's looked plummaged in the console as well, I doubt a bear would life the console and shift through CDs as well as lifing up the floorboard carpet.

It looked vandalized by a human to me. However I am no expert, just a concerned hiker.

I understand,Im just passing on the word...

Sly
07-07-2012, 16:11
It's possible a bear went in after but they don't normally break rear windows. They pull on cracked windows or gaps around the door.

hikingshoes
07-07-2012, 16:18
Good point Sly.

Wise Old Owl
07-07-2012, 16:18
Thats the shame - insurance will cover some of it. Wish you had taken the time to blur the license though.

max patch
07-07-2012, 16:27
Thats the shame - insurance will cover some of it. Wish you had taken the time to blur the license though.

Why?

hikingshoes
07-07-2012, 16:28
Did someone report it? It crossed my mine but I was thinking someone had reported it

Pedaling Fool
07-07-2012, 16:34
Did someone report it? It crossed my mine but I was thinking someone had reported itI didn't :D

karo
07-07-2012, 16:34
I don't know about that, there was a giant log there, you can see it in the pic, and the top of the car is dented it pretty good. Hale doesnt knock windows out like that.

Also we were up there 3 weeks prior and there was a tarp duck tapes all down the car which was removed when we saw it.

Hail (sp) does break out windows, esp. rear windows that are not as strong as windshields, and both windshields and rear windows on lots of vehicles are more slanted and therefore more susceptible to breakage. BTW there was a strong storm that went through the mountains recently that did lots of damage and had possible hail.

Ironbelly
07-07-2012, 17:15
I strongly suspect it was weather related or bear related in origin. Most people breaking into a car to steal break a door window so they can unlock the car and gain easy access vice climbing in awkwardly from a rear window.

Rasty
07-07-2012, 18:16
Why?

The car belongs to a guy from Ohio know as Flash. He was a missing person in February but according to the Jefferson County Ohio Sherrif's office he has been found. Sounds like the car is abandoned at this point. I left his real name out of this post.

Rasty
07-07-2012, 18:52
Update -
I just received a call from the Jefferson County Sherrifs department. He is still missing. His name is Brett Gordon a.k.a. Flash. He has been missing since February. His picture and contact info is on the link.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/MissingPersonsPoster?printpath=/Enforcement/Unsolved-Cases/Missing-Persons/Missing-People/Gordon&classname=Custom.MissingPersonsDatabase

BigRing
07-07-2012, 19:04
That car was there in the same condition, when I starrted my section hike on June 16th. Our shuttle driver told us that they saw it there 2 weeks prior to our arrival.

WingedMonkey
07-07-2012, 19:21
I didn't :D

You gonna get hate mail.

max patch
07-07-2012, 20:39
You gonna get hate mail.

No he won't. He's smart; keeps his mail box full.

Wise Old Owl
07-07-2012, 20:56
Why Not? - And rastraikis (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?34639-rastraikis) proved the point because great skill in figuring out who it belongs too. (Major Kudo's) Take a little time and edit in a free photo editor.

Pumba
07-07-2012, 21:17
I'm curious too why you feel it's necessary to blur the license plate image? It's not like it's blurred when driving down the street or parked. Anyone can see it.

Rasty
07-07-2012, 22:25
WOO - We know who you are! Nothing escapes the Spanish inquisition. Dont make me use the comfy couch.

On a serious note. Hopefully someone knows this guy and tells him to check in. Also he should do something about his car. At least remove the Erika Estrada for president bumper sticker.:D

Lone Wolf
07-07-2012, 22:34
The car looked as though it was vandalized by a human that attempted to make it look like a bear did it.

really? you're kiddin' me

generoll
07-08-2012, 07:14
crafty humans.

Trail Bug
07-08-2012, 07:57
Looks like the same one I saw in May. Our shuttle driver Lumpy said it had been there for almost a month.

daddytwosticks
07-08-2012, 11:51
Wes Wisson shuttled me to that spot back in mid June. He said it's been there for quite some time. :)

Rasty
07-08-2012, 11:53
This guy went missing on February 22nd. Any chance this car has been there that long?

Skyline
07-08-2012, 12:19
Everyone could be right. It could've been damaged by a bear, then hail, then rummaged through by curious humans once the windows and doors were open. Or something like that. Not necessarily in that order.

I wish I could go play in the woods today. I wouldn't have posted this if I had something better to do.:rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 12:38
Crafty Bear? I suspect its separately crafty vandalism and crafty raccoons.

Why? OK A year before they started to blur licence plates on the news in accidents and homicides there was an ongoing issue with people seeing a tragedy an calling others to let them know...The best example I saw was a Miata going up the Manayunk streets in Philadelphia and had an Amateur radio license plate. A Roller had lost control and came down the Manayunk wall at high speed flattening the vehicle. The press showed the flat car and roller on top she died instantly and I knew the husband by association. I had a similar experience with a owners wife of a company I worked for who drove under a garbage truck - saw that too on TV Not cool.

Just saying any license can be looked up now a days...

SO when was the last time Flash was seen?

Waterbuffalo
07-08-2012, 20:24
So was the Ohio Sherriff interested that the vehicle had been located?

AjR
07-08-2012, 20:46
That's what I would like to know, has anyone called it in yet?

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 20:50
These things will work themselves out... I won't be calling... besides the bumper sticker was removed by a bear.... :rolleyes:

more important is to locate the hilker

Rasty
07-08-2012, 20:58

The Ohio sheriff was going to contact the local Georgia sheriff. They were more interested where he could be.

Rasty
07-08-2012, 21:01
These things will work themselves out... I won't be calling... besides the bumper sticker was removed by a bear.... :rolleyes:

more important is to locate the hilker

Probably the raccoons removed the bumper sticker they have better dexterity. Raccoons don't like motorcycle cops.:)

Blissful
07-08-2012, 21:50
The Ohio sheriff was going to contact the local Georgia sheriff. They were more interested where he could be.

That's what I was wondering. Everyone is worried about the car - I wonder where the hiker is...??

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 22:12
Probably the raccoons removed the bumper sticker they have better dexterity. Raccoons don't like motorcycle cops.:)

Eric Estrada will be really crushed.......http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9UxHwUfG2qQ/TGrJbJMMEeI/AAAAAAAABt8/8aiI9BTt1lE/s1600/erik_estrada_chips.jpg

Rasty
07-08-2012, 22:33

Eric Estrada will be really crushed.......http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9UxHwUfG2qQ/TGrJbJMMEeI/AAAAAAAABt8/8aiI9BTt1lE/s1600/erik_estrada_chips.jpg

Looks like a raccoon hater. I can see him running them down for stealing food bags. CHIP's zooming along the AT busting the thieves.

Rasty
07-08-2012, 22:36

That's what I was wondering. Everyone is worried about the car - I wonder where the hiker is...??

Is this the first abandoned car at Springer or has this happened before? Where would he be if he left in March?

Suckerfish
07-09-2012, 09:09
really? you're kiddin' me

LOL, yea that did sound pretty rediculous...

Rasty
08-09-2012, 12:19
Anyone know if the cars gone or if he was found?

HikerMom58
08-09-2012, 12:54
LOL, yea that did sound pretty rediculous...

Good answer Suckerfish... you're a better woman than I. You are just talking, sharing thoughts and BOOM.

Water Rat
08-09-2012, 13:47
Isn't Suckerfish a guy?

Rasty
08-09-2012, 13:52
Isn't Suckerfish a guy?

"It's a little early to be putting labels on it"
Monty Python

Wise Old Owl
08-09-2012, 14:01
did they ever find the owner?

HikerMom58
08-09-2012, 14:35
Isn't Suckerfish a guy?

Welp, you could be right, touche.

Waterbuffalo
08-09-2012, 15:37
I was going to drive by the other day and didn't have a chance I was thinking the same wondering if it had been picked up or the hiker was located

max patch
08-09-2012, 16:00
I heard it was gone.

HikerMom58
08-09-2012, 19:12
I hope everything ended well for everyone concerned.

Water Rat
08-09-2012, 21:50
"It's a little early to be putting labels on it"
Monty Python

Well, quite true. It's just that I went to this little thing called "about me"... Funny how those things seem to get missed.

HikerMom58
08-09-2012, 22:53
Well, quite true. It's just that I went to this little thing called "about me"... Funny how those things seem to get missed.

You are having wayyyy too much fun on here. I bet your glad I'm on here...:D

Sorry SuckerFish.. didn't mean to call you a woman like me.