PDA

View Full Version : Streams on At in NH

Katie
07-07-2012, 15:40
I am section hiking NH in a week, and am wondering if there are stream crossings requiring wading instead of rock hopping, which would change my choice of camp footware to something that would be stable in water. Thanks for the information, always helpful. I have already done 1200 miles so am used to whatever comes, but NH is daunting.
Katie Painted Lady

Moose2001
07-07-2012, 16:00
Painted Lady - it just depends on the weather and how much rain has fallen. I've seen streams I rocked hopped across before that were raging. If the water is swift or deep, I cross in my boots. If you have breathable boots/shoes, they will dry in just a couple of hours.

Deadeye
07-07-2012, 17:38
Hard to know what conditions will be in a week, and you didn't say what part of the trail you'd be on, but I was in the area last week - streams were quite low.

peakbagger
07-07-2012, 19:27
Generally the AMC tries to install "step stones" on any smaller streams and bridges on the larger streams. Given the recent weather I expect the step stones will work, although they are a lot easier to use with poles.

attroll
07-08-2012, 23:41
Moved this thread to the "General" forum.

Barger
07-09-2012, 00:37
We're not in drought conditions up here in NH, but it's been very dry for June & July given the last few years we've had. I'd think that planning for a "normal" AT condition section hike of NH would be fine. Weather this week is supposed to be great.

My first post, I know, but I've lived in NH most of my settled adult life. An old college buddy of mine are doing the AT from Kinsman Notch to Washington starting Tuesday 7/10.

Was up on Washington on Fri. 7/6. 78f and sunny base temp, 48 with 40mph winds and full cloud cover.

Another buddy sent me this about Ethan Pond the same day:

Just came back from Ethan pond, on the bug scale it's a 3 with 10 being the height of black flies and 0 being a December climb. They are definitely worse in the muddier sections. Went up Zealand tr to Ethan pond tr to the campsite (it was getting crowded when I left), did Willey and Tom and then the az trail back to Zealand. A little mucky, but not like mud season.

And yet another buddy told me that Garfield was cloudy, and that he got rained on several times on the morning of 7/7, but it was otherwise clear and easy going.