PDA

View Full Version : Excessive graffiti by thru hiker Chopsticks. How to report him & get him off trail?

Nick&Bruce
07-07-2012, 21:05
The title says it all. Chopsticks is tagging EVERYTHING out here. Signs, fence posts, shelters, and tables. Natural spots like rocks, trees, and even beauty spots like Angel's Rest.

It drives me mad when I see it and I've collected a number of photos of it all. Is there someone who we can report him to so we can get this crud to stop?

I tried catching up to him but injuries are keeping me back. He's probably in PA right now.

Help!

Master Splinter & Bruce

rocketsocks
07-07-2012, 21:22
You could do some yellow blazen, and lay in wait.

Rocket Jones
07-07-2012, 21:30
Contact the ATC folks in Harpers Ferry. Info for them should be in your trail guide.

Wise Old Owl
07-07-2012, 21:37
Well you came to the right place - but how are you implicating CS? what does the tag look like and provide more detail

WingedMonkey
07-07-2012, 21:37
You might have to wait until Monday when the ATC staff has recovered from the holiday/storm time off. Then threaten them that you will write your Senator and Congressman because the issue is important to you, send them email after email to remind them. If they don't respond within two days then start a petition.

aaronthebugbuffet
07-07-2012, 21:38
It would suck to have the same trail name as this guy.

Nick&Bruce
07-07-2012, 21:49
I can't post pictures from my phone but if somebody wants a buttload just give me your email address. Maybe you can post them for us. Also it may be hard for me to call when they're open as I'm not sure I'll have reception, but I'll try. If someone else wants to help report him that would be great.

He tags as "<hopsticks 2012" or "<hopsticks race against time 2012" or "<'12" most the time with the < being made to look like chopsticks and replace the c.

I haven't met him but he's been described to me as an ex military guy in his 30's with tattoos and a fairly big knife. I'm not the only one out here that's tired of his shenanigans. I wish I could catch up to him and give him a piece of my mind.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2012, 22:35
The title says it all. Chopsticks is tagging EVERYTHING out here. Signs, fence posts, shelters, and tables. Natural spots like rocks, trees, and even beauty spots like Angel's Rest.

It drives me mad when I see it and I've collected a number of photos of it all. Is there someone who we can report him to so we can get this crud to stop?

I tried catching up to him but injuries are keeping me back. He's probably in PA right now.

Help!

Master Splinter & Bruce
happens every year. nothing can or will be done

Nick&Bruce
07-07-2012, 22:52
Presumably what he's doing is illegal and that means that some sort of penalty is in place for it. Whether or not something is done is a different matter, but something can be done.

I'm not saying something WILL happen, but something could potentially happen. Even if enforcement of these laws is zilch. At the very least we can try to get enough hikers to ask him to stop and let him know how upsetting it is that he changes his behavior.

If we all accept that defeatist attitude however, nothing will happen.

My email address is [email protected]

If you want to email you the pictures contact me.

kayak karl
07-07-2012, 22:59
"Cubby '08" what did they do to him?

Lone Wolf
07-07-2012, 23:06
"Cubby '08" what did they do to him?

made him a star

Lone Wolf
07-07-2012, 23:07
graffitti in shelters ain't a big deal

Wise Old Owl
07-07-2012, 23:07
Well this is a "loosing moment" - done.

WIAPilot
07-07-2012, 23:14
I would also report him to the ATC and ask that they report him to the police as well. They may carry more weight, but it wouldn't hurt to have several people report him. Laurie's email is [email protected]. A few photos to her email wouldn't hurt. I would also contact the USFS via email and include photos as well.

Even though tagging has gone on forever, the climate has changed about what will be tolerated. Remember how people used to throw their trash out from cars all the time? Never happens now (or at least not in my area). Fines are too steep. Chopsticks needs a hefty fine and some good old community service - like retracing his steps to remove his handiwork!

rocketsocks
07-07-2012, 23:16
Nick, to your knowledge has anyone asked him to stop?

TJ aka Teej
07-07-2012, 23:23
There's one or two knuckleheads every year.
A northbounder named Superman was tagging everything in sight, and even carved his name into the Baxter Peak summit sign last year or the year before.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2012, 23:35
it's a non-issue. much ado over nothing

Nick&Bruce
07-07-2012, 23:55
Emails are being sent. You can also view them on instagram.

Username: nickandbruce

Nick&Bruce
07-07-2012, 23:58
Oh, and I don't know of anyone saying anything to him but I know a lot of people plan on it.

Fun fact, he almost never signs shelter logs or trail logs so he's kinda tough to track.

Iceaxe
07-08-2012, 00:40
Like Lone Wolf "said".. it is up to current year hikers to administer justice. Forget the police and NPS.
In parallel, it has been said that on the PCT a hiker named Hollywood has defaced the door of the Muir Hut this year.
Before you say "so what?" let me add that there are just half a dozen shelter on the PCT in 2,654 miles.
Still you say "so what?"
Here is a picture of the Muir hut taken before defacement:

Can we agree that after viewing this picture you think the Muir Hut is "somewhat" special and a unique case of "DO NOT F-ING TAG"?
In 2009 we had a hiker named By-the-Book on the PCT.
This Jackass berated grocerystore employees on more than one occasion making ALL thru hikers look bad in the process.
I made the HUGE mistake of NOT kicking that guys ass on the spot.
Don't be me..
While i normally wouldn't advocate violence, we inherit the mistakes and stupidity of those before us...
As soon as you have the chance (like out on the trail in the dark), kick that wrong-doing hikers ass.
At the very least:
If you see a hiker doing wrong.. call them out.
It reflects badly upon us and every hiker that follows in our footsteps.
We all make mistakes, but to willingly do wrong deserves a swift kick in the ass.

PS. Notice that as of 2009 ,when this picture was taken, there is not one single tag on that door... until now

Slacks
07-08-2012, 00:45
Lone Wolf lives right on the AT and has tons of posts on WB WIAPilot. Don't you realize that means everything he says is right and if you agree you are stupid?

The pilot is right, this is accepted because we accept it

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 00:45
graffitti in shelters ain't a big deal

You might have to wait until Monday when the ATC staff has recovered from the holiday/storm time off. Then threaten them that you will write your Senator and Congressman because the issue is important to you, send them email after email to remind them. If they don't respond within two days then start a petition.

Or you could sit on your ass and do nothing like WM & LW. Both were against Parkside receiving this honor in the first place. Thankfully, others disagreed and let their voices be heard.

Coffee Rules!
07-08-2012, 00:51
Here are the pics I received from Nick&Bruce.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 00:55
It would appear that chopsticks is a blue blazer.hehehe

Iceaxe
07-08-2012, 01:00
There is "tagging" a register, which we all do.
There is even "tagging" certain things along the trail, where 300 people before us have tagged. (Monarch Pass, CDT)
There are certain places we are invited to tag by a host. (the door of Shorrt supply in Hood River, Oregon.)
Isn't it obvious where it is inappropriate to tag?
Apparently not.

Coffee Rules!
07-08-2012, 01:02
Or it IS apparent and certain idiots choose not to care.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 01:05
I gotta believe that surely someone on trail has said to him, hey dude what the hell!, maybe not?

Bronk
07-08-2012, 01:13
The law enforcement perspective is going to look like this:

(1) Is there anyone who saw him do it that can make a report in person to the police in the locale where it happened? Most law enforcement agencies won't take an official report over the phone because they have no way of knowing who you are and what you are saying is true. Given the transient nature of hikers, this one is going to be a huge hurdle.
(2) Is the owner of the property willing to sign a complaint?
(3) Assuming you have 1 and 2, this is going to be a very minor charge, and even if a ticket could be issued, or even as much as a warrant for destruction of property, given the minor nature of it they will be unwilling to extradite any further then probably the next county...if the guy never comes back to the area and comes in contact with law enforcement, he will never answer for it anyway.
(4) This is small potatoes...cops have better things to do...file this under "the guy's an idiot but he's gone and there's not much we can do about it now." Given 1, 2 and 3, the chances of it going anywhere are pretty slim and its really not worth the effort. And keep in mind that any local authority you report it to is going to view this as one petty isolated incident because it only happened once in their jurisdiction.

This is an issue better solved with peer pressure, as in a verbal confrontation around a campfire about how stupid this is...unless he wants to alienate himself from other hikers he'll probably see the reason of it and knock it off. The bubble he's hiking in probably doesn't even know he's doing this because he's leaving a trail of grafitti behind them.

Might also consider the possibility that if nobody saw him do it, then maybe it isn't him doing it.

Coffee Rules!
07-08-2012, 01:21
All excellent points, Bronk.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 01:27
A mystery, It was Mr. chopsticks with the marker in the out house.

He who writes these words of wit, rolls his balls a little bit.

Iceaxe
07-08-2012, 01:28
The bubble he's hiking in probably doesn't even know he's doing this because he's leaving a trail of grafitti behind them.

Might also consider the possibility that if nobody saw him do it, then maybe it isn't him doing it.

Very good points Bronk.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 01:33
+! Bronk, a verbal lashing may be all that is needed here, embarrassment is a great motivator.

Coffee Rules!
07-08-2012, 01:50

This makes me think of a great story from my Marine Corps days. My squadron was out on a boat (those big gray taxis provided by the Navy), and we had a Cobra pilot who was being messed with by a couple of other pilots who changed his call sign on the ready room board from some macho name to "Fluffy." Had he just seen it and laughed, it would've been over and done, and his original call sign put back in its place. Instead, he went ballistic and made a huge deal of it. Next thing you know it was all over the squadron, and very shortly after that, all over the boat. Before you knew it, there were both signs and graffiti appearing everywhere, with everything from "Fluffy sleeps here" (creatively posted on the ship's Captain's stateroom as well as Fluffy's own stateroom) to "Fluffy *****s here" in just about every head on the boat. Even got so bad that some creative folks on the flight deck painted "Fluffy lands here" on said flight deck while he was out on a flight. The more he complained, the deeper it got, until eventually that became his call sign.

Nick&Bruce
07-08-2012, 01:52
Sorry I don't have any pictures of the natural spots. Those blue blazes that are tagged are usually along the AT at water or shelter junctions.

I also heard from a friend that he tagged a rock at the Audie Murphy memorial but a friend that got there before me chucked the rock off the side of the mountain when he saw it.

AndyB
07-08-2012, 02:06
"Mouse" was the tagger in 95..I forget how far he made it. I think his sharpie ran out before harpers ferry..I don't remember who it was in 96 but there was one then too...must happen a lot like LW says. I'd guess these guys all fit the same profile. I can't figure out how they have time to right on so much stuff and still make miles...........

fiddlehead
07-08-2012, 02:25
I remember the "Mouse" signatures everywhere in '95 too. Bugged the hikers more than anyone I guess.
Local cops aren't gonna waste their time. Park service guys might. report to them if anyone.

So, this "Chopsticks" guy seems to always use a Sharpie.
Here's an idea: Get a look-a-like Sharpie with invisible ink. (or one of those whiteboard markers that can be rubbed off easily)
The dude can deface all the public property he wants, his ego will be up there on the pedestal he desperately needs and no one but him will ever know.

Hairbear
07-08-2012, 04:41
great ive spent alot of time getting ready for my 2013 attempt and your telling me ive got tons of unburried crap ,litter,and train graffiti to look forward to.man people are so freakin stupid.

Velvet Gooch
07-08-2012, 05:59
At least he's not girdling trees

OzJacko
07-08-2012, 06:19
Any chance that ATC can refuse to acknowledge his hike if they become aware of it?

Unfortunately graffiti is a problem everywhere. Peer pressure and ridicule are the best weapons.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 06:27
Any chance that ATC can refuse to acknowledge his hike if they become aware of it?

Unfortunately graffiti is a problem everywhere. Peer pressure and ridicule are the best weapons.ooooh that's good, and might could work.And would that really be a motivator for someone who doesn't care about LNT.

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 06:35
ooooh that's good, and might could work.And would that really be a motivator for someone who doesn't care about LNT.

I think maybe a better idea would be to make him remove his graffiti before his patch is given to him. I really wish the ATC would get involved in these things. I mean, if they don't protect the trail - who will?

Coffee Rules!
07-08-2012, 06:56
The problem with them getting involved is they really have no true authority, at least not as I understand it. "Now don't you do that" while wagging a finger isn't going to discourage the sort of tool who'd do this. I doubt the patch is a great concern either. I could copy the logo and have my own made or turn it into a tattoo and say screw the issued patch.

Don H
07-08-2012, 06:57
There was a guy last year tagging shelters using another hikers trail name just to stir up trouble for the guy. Maybe not what's happening here but just a thought. Complaints were made to the ATC.

If someone would witness him doing it and report it to the ATC then I think withholding recognition for his hike would be very appropriate.

Someone needs to catch him in the act, report it to the ATC and the ATC needs to file a criminal complaint.

And for those who think that nothing will come of it a charge of Felony Malicious Destruction of Property (over $250 in damages in most states) will get you a day in court, legal fees, travel expenses, time missed from work, etc. A conviction will also get you a fine and a criminal record. Even if the charges are dropped to a misdemeanor (most likely) you still have the expenses and a criminal record if convicted.

Lybarger
07-08-2012, 07:08
Apparently this has gone on during Chopsticks entire hike. Yet few (maybe no one) has said enough to Chopsticks to make him stop. Peer pressure isn't what it used to be.

Kind of like the drinking problems at The Place...too many hikers turn a blind eye to bad behavior.

Velvet Gooch
07-08-2012, 07:18
White knights. White knights everywhere

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 07:34
Hey Coffee! (aka White Knight) Just noticed you were a Silver WB Member. You rock!!

Velvet Gooch
07-08-2012, 07:41
Yay. I'd gladly give WhiteBlaze 100.-- USD per year if I weren't so heavily moderated

Sampson
07-08-2012, 07:49
The whole wheel idea would have been rejected way back when if lone wolf was on the committee to judge its merit. Progress is simply not attainable with an attitude like that. I think he's just trolling most of the time, though, which can add some flavor to a debate.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2012, 07:53
The whole wheel idea would have been rejected way back when if lone wolf was on the committee to judge its merit. Progress is simply not attainable with an attitude like that. I think he's just trolling most of the time, though, which can add some flavor to a debate.

not trolling at all. seriously, folks are goin' on and on about the graffitti thing. how do propose to stop it? every year there is tons of new graffiti up and down the trail

ATMountainTime
07-08-2012, 07:56
excessive grafitti? Id rather NO grafitti. I HATE going into shelters with crap all over the walls. Being that we're all hikers and love our trail, id hope all are discouraged from doing so.

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 07:56
not trolling at all. seriously, folks are goin' on and on about the graffitti thing. how do propose to stop it? every year there is tons of new graffiti up and down the trail

You can't stop it all. However, you can stop a few. I would warrant that even this discussion has made a few young hikers on WB realize that this totally is not cool.

When I was quite young and in school, I remember being on a bus with my best friend in Europe. I was looking out the window and it was really gorgeous. There was something different and I couldn't place what it was. After awhile, I recall turning to her and saying, "There's absolutely NO TRASH on the ground!!" Because in the 80's, people would litter all the time. I felt really sad about it, but wondered if our country could ever change. Then there were the Indian crying commercials and stiff fines and here in AZ they have community service where they pick up trash that has been blown off from trucks on the way to the dump. I don't know how it is back East lately, but I know that you never see trash anymore like you did when I was growing up - at least not the places I've been. Yes, occasionally there are places or some neighborhoods but nothing like it was 30-40 yrs ago.

My whole point is to say that change IS possible.

Coffee Rules!
07-08-2012, 08:05
White knights. White knights everywhere

If you're referring to me, I have two words for you. They start with F and Y. WIA doesn't need anyone WK'ing for her. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of Lone Wolf's comment.

Velvet Gooch
07-08-2012, 08:06
If a monkey bit you, what kind of drugs would they make you take?

kayak karl
07-08-2012, 08:14
If a monkey bit you, what kind of drugs would they make you take?
it's probably the monkey that would have to take the drugs.

hikerboy57
07-08-2012, 08:30
LW is right.its not going to change.you're always going to have one or two knuckleheads doing stupid stuff.and it really can't be enforced.its no different than finding trash on the trail.you want to help?just clean it up.

Sampson
07-08-2012, 08:33

In this case you have a thru hiker that lots of people have crossed paths with and one that shouldn't be hard too find. It should be easy enough for some folks out there to tell him to stop doing what he's doing. I think the OP had the right idea coming to a forum like this to inform fellow hikers of what is happening. I'm not sure the authorities need to be notified or that they could do anything even if they were, but I'm pretty sure this dude would put an end to his stupidty if he started getting the leper treatment out there. What's the hurt in trying at least?

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 08:40
I think maybe a better idea would be to make him remove his graffiti before his patch is given to him. I really wish the ATC would get involved in these things. I mean, if they don't protect the trail - who will?

OMG you gonna take away his patch? That will teach him a lesson. I'm gonna call Laurie at home right now and make sure she does that.

Don H
07-08-2012, 08:42
Just cause it's going to keep happening doesn't mean we have to accept it or tolerate it.

Everything that happens on the trail gets on the internet. Someone will find a picture of Chopsticks posted and post it here. Google his name and you'll find he was hiking with a guy named Dan in Virgina. His name is mentioned by other hikers too.

I remember Bob Peoples telling me about a guy who was taking a dump in every shelter a few years ago. They finally figured out who was doing it and word went up the trail. He was not welcome at any hostels after that. The ATC should withhold any acknowledgement for such poor behavior.

Lauriep
07-08-2012, 08:42
Information about how to report an A.T. incident (including vandalism) can be found on ATC's website at www.appaachiantrail.org/incident. ATC works closely with the two A.T. National Park Service rangers, who in turn work with local law enforcement agencies up and down the A.T., as well as local volunteer A.T.-maintaing clubs and ridgerunners. Graffiti and the defacing of natural and cultural resources along the A.T. is considered a serious matter.

A.T. law enforcement officers have in the past and are currently following up on vandalism/graffiti reports. They have sometimes met with success in apprehending the offender and stopping the actions. But it is very time-consuming and can take quite a while to catch up with a moving target. Timely reports are especially helpful, as are photographs.

However, the most effective deterrent to stop future acts is peer pressure from fellow hikers. "Hike your own hike" is one thing; leaving your mark in a way that detracts from hikers' ability to enjoy the natural environment (or shelters that take volunteers thousands of hours to plan, get necessary approvals for, and to build--not to mention fund) is a incredibly selfish and destructive act. Some people, who have not spent a lot of time in the woods, may not even realize this. Do your part to educate them about trail ethics and call them on what they are doing.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Coffee Rules!
07-08-2012, 08:46
...and can take quite a while to catch up with a moving target.

Once you figure out range and the target's speed, it's just a matter of how much to lead them by. :p ;)

Okay, childish reply done, I'll add a big THANK YOU, LAURIE for good scoop! :)

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 08:47
Laurie - This is EXCELLENT to know. Thank you for your input. I am really glad to see that ATC is involved in this. All you would have to do is compare his ATC Registration to the graffiti as he did hike last year.

Would it help if several hikers reported this?

Don H
07-08-2012, 08:48
Thanks Laurie!

Don H
07-08-2012, 08:49
WIA, how do you know it's the same guy that hiked last year?

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2012, 08:54
I blame them damn cavemen, they started it. It even resulted in defacing of the Egyptian Pyramids.

10-K
07-08-2012, 09:03
OMG you gonna take away his patch? That will teach him a lesson. I'm gonna call Laurie at home right now and make sure she does that.

Dangit... you forget the smiley again...

:)

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 09:09
WIA, how do you know it's the same guy that hiked last year?

There is a thru hiker named Chopsticks that had a journal last year. I am not sure it is the same one, but how common a trail name is Chopsticks?? He is rather young as well. And if I am wrong, I will definitely apologize on WB for the misunderstanding.

vamelungeon
07-08-2012, 09:10
My mother always told me, in reference to the type of vandalism referred to as tagging or graffiti -

"Fool's names and monkey's faces
Are often seen in public places."

I've never understood the appeal of defacing signs, rocks, walls, etc. with spray paint or marker or knife. I just don't get it. When I see it, I wonder why they don't just carve "I'm a stupid A-hole" because that is in fact the statement they are making.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 09:11
Dangit... you forget the smiley again...

:)

I've wrote the ATC to get your dog a patch.

:banana

10-K
07-08-2012, 09:15
I've wrote the ATC to get your dog a patch.

:banana

Why? he's still alive....

TJ aka Teej
07-08-2012, 09:16
However, the most effective deterrent to stop future acts is peer pressure from fellow hikers. "Hike your own hike" is one thing; leaving your mark in a way that detracts from hikers' ability to enjoy the natural environment (or shelters that take volunteers thousands of hours to plan, get necessary approvals for, and to build--not to mention fund) is a incredibly selfish and destructive act. Some people, who have not spent a lot of time in the woods, may not even realize this. Do your part to educate them about trail ethics and call them on what they are doing.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Thank you, Laurie.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 09:18
Why? he's still alive....

Where's the smiley?...

kayak karl
07-08-2012, 09:28
a lot posted that they hiked with CS in '11. easy to followup on.

atmilkman
07-08-2012, 09:44
a lot posted that they hiked with CS in '11. easy to followup on.
They might be too embarrassed to admit it, and then again this might not be the same guy cause why didn't he tag everything last year or did he.

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2012, 09:50
I don't get graffiti, but I don't fret over the stuff on the trail, it doesn't effect my disposition in the least. As LW said, it's all over the place on the AT. If you want to make a difference that would require a special task force. Where's that money going to come from? Would you want your donations spent towards that?

And the story about "Fluffy" has some merit here, the more people get all bent out of shape about this, can only lead to increased the incidents.

Here's a couple other examples of graffiti, it seems to be ingrained in certain people, who knows maybe they're asking for help :D

Well, at least he's just writing his name; could be worse -- warning rated "R" content http://basementgeographer.blogspot.com/2010/11/graffiti-of-pompeii.html#!/2010/11/graffiti-of-pompeii.html

http://www.kashgar.com.au/articles/The-Bawdy-Graffiti-of-Pompeii-and-Herculaneum

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2012, 09:54
They might be too embarrassed to admit it, and then again this might not be the same guy cause why didn't he tag everything last year or did he.A good point for those that want to set up a lynch mob, seen it on more than one occasion here on WB ;)

Thing about this issue is that when someone is caught they usually overpay, because he's also paying for the sins of others -- remember guys, he's just a poor lost soul asking for help :D

Don H
07-08-2012, 10:03
Last year's Chopstick got off the trail in Luray on June 26 according to his trail journal. Can't say if its the same guy as our current defacer.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=352523

Don H
07-08-2012, 10:15
Of course Chopstick is not the only person out there defacing the AT this year.

"Oh yeah, a ridge runner, named Jonathan?, who I met on Springer Mountain my first day on the AT showed up at Partnership shelter looking for Crazy Beard because he signs the shelter walls and offends some people. Also, it is graffiti or something, though lots of hikers do it. Some hikers, like Chopsticks, sign the white blazes and rocks and trees, and that makes me mad. The shelters are already full of it, but the blazes? Come on. The rangers are looking for him and Soleman, too, because of their excessive graffiti. We told him that Crazy Beard is a good guy, but I think he is a wanted hiker now."
http://www.thedustycamel.org/carey/2012/6/20/6-19-12-accidental-zero.html

bamboo bob
07-08-2012, 10:16
One way to deal with graffiti is to erase it as much as you can or at least cross it out. The perp gets nothing for his efforts that way until he can be confronted. He may have no idea that most people think he's an ******* and not cool at all. ps I hiked a bit with By-the-book and never saw him say or do anything untoward at all.

bamboo bob
07-08-2012, 10:23
I'm sure graffiti is mainly done by the more rowdy over 50 crowd like most of the problems on the trail. Drunkeness, vandalism, trashing motel rooms, dope, loudness in shelters, boorishness, selfishness, and cluelessness. By the time they hit 70 they have usually grown out of it.

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 10:26
One way to deal with graffiti is to erase it as much as you can or at least cross it out. The perp gets nothing for his efforts that way until he can be confronted. He may have no idea that most people think he's an ******* and not cool at all. ps I hiked a bit with By-the-book and never saw him say or do anything untoward at all.

This is a really good suggestion! Maybe those who live near the trail can do this. In the summer when my pack isn't so heavy, I'll include a can of graffiti clean up and a brush and do my part.

I think what is important though is to have the huevos to confront and report ​these morons.

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 10:30
this is a waste of time - nothing is going to get resolved here.

atmilkman
07-08-2012, 10:32
Yah but it's Sunday and we ain't hiking and it's fun to bitch.

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2012, 10:36
This is a really good suggestion! Maybe those who live near the trail can do this. In the summer when my pack isn't so heavy, I'll include a can of graffiti clean up and a brush and do my part.

I think what is important though is to have the huevos to confront and report ​these morons.
You really don't know the scope of it ;)

Many of the graffiiti are carvings, if you carve it out eventually you'd whittle down all the shelters... :-? Actually, that ain't a bad idea :D

Jeff
07-08-2012, 10:39
Punishment should be doing trail maintenance with Bob Peoples. Chopsticks might emerge from that experience a smarter man.

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 10:41
nice one John. Up to now I thought people were making toothpicks.:eek:

russb
07-08-2012, 10:41
And dogs pee on fire hydrants for the same reason. If you do catch up to him, be careful; he may start humping your leg.

Rocket Jones
07-08-2012, 10:42

Many of the graffiiti are carvings, if you carve it out eventually you'd whittle down all the shelters... :-? Actually, that ain't a bad idea :D

:D You could use lighter fluid to scrub the marker off, and be sure to use your lighter so you can see. Get that flame up close. LOL I believe there would be more than one approving nod around here for this particular method.

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 10:43

You are right. I don't know the scope of it and I think the shelters are probably beyond help from the photos that I have seen. But the other type of graffiti like Chopsticks is doing - that could be worked on. I guess that every bit helps. What makes me the maddest is when I hear about Scout Troops doing this. Like what is the TroopMaster thinking letting them get away with this??

Nick&Bruce
07-08-2012, 11:07
Information about how to report an A.T. incident (including vandalism) can be found on ATC's website at www.appaachiantrail.org/incident. ATC works closely with the two A.T. National Park Service rangers, who in turn work with local law enforcement agencies up and down the A.T., as well as local volunteer A.T.-maintaing clubs and ridgerunners. Graffiti and the defacing of natural and cultural resources along the A.T. is considered a serious matter.

A.T. law enforcement officers have in the past and are currently following up on vandalism/graffiti reports. They have sometimes met with success in apprehending the offender and stopping the actions. But it is very time-consuming and can take quite a while to catch up with a moving target. Timely reports are especially helpful, as are photographs.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

I'm having trouble with the link. I realized there was an "l" missing but even after fixing that I can't access the page.

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 11:27
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/ATC%20Incident%20Report%20Form-Word.doc

This should link you to it. Thanks again for making us aware of this problem.

moytoy
07-08-2012, 11:28
I'm having trouble with the link. I realized there was an "l" missing but even after fixing that I can't access the page.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/report-an-incident

Lone Wolf
07-08-2012, 11:30

you are wise

Sarcasm the elf
07-08-2012, 11:50
you are wise

Of course he is, for he is an owl.

10-K
07-08-2012, 11:55
I think ya'll need to go hiking...

Skyline
07-08-2012, 12:11
Sometimes, graffiti terrorists are caught and they do suffer consequences. Anyone remember the spray painting of Jefferson Rock on the AT in Harpers Ferry a few years back? If everyone took a defeatist's attitude then nothing would have happened.

Lauriep
07-08-2012, 12:13
Sorry for the typo!

The "friendly" link for the "Reporting an Incident" page is www.appalachiantrail.org/incidents (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/incidents). This will revert to www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/report-an-incident.

The email is [email protected], although the plural form also works: [email protected].

The incident form called be filled in electronically, but not on line. You have to save it to your desktop, fill it in, and then send it as an attachment.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

Mags
07-08-2012, 12:50
with Laurie's words, that about does it for the thread. :)