PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Alone...

The Captain
07-08-2012, 02:20
Just curious about some of your views on hiking alone and how many people actually do? I am dying to get on the trail but not being an experienced hiker or being able to find a reliable hiking partner I am unsure about getting out there. I know obvious solutions like using common sense or "trusting your gut" but what are the real dangers when hiking alone? Should I really be that worried about taking the plunge? Any advice on overcoming this? Thanks in advanced for your help.

fiddlehead
07-08-2012, 02:35
Common sense is the key
My worries are more likely with any partner than myself anyway. (are they having fun? keeping up? have enough food/water? too much weight?)

Maybe if you are in Maine during a hurricane and creeks are too high and you don't have the necessary experience to know what you can ford and what will get you.

I use a 3 second rule for lightning. Many use more but I'm OK with 3 seconds between sound and light before I would go down. (and stay away from big trees)

When I'm alone, I perhaps spend a bit more of my mind thinking about how much water I have. But, I tend to camel up when I do find good water and don't carry much anyway.

Don't get off trail unless you have a GPS (till you get more experience)

Look up for widow-makers when setting up your tent.

GPS is an excellent idea as trail maps won't show you all the ways out if you do have problems.

Don't carry too much weight (most injuries come from too much)

The rest of the posters here will tell you to always tell someone your plans. But I don't generally.

Don't leave your pack unattended. (even when going for water, I don't)

Be street smart.

Have fun.

Hairbear
07-08-2012, 03:44
Just curious about some of your views on hiking alone and how many people actually do? I am dying to get on the trail but not being an experienced hiker or being able to find a reliable hiking partner I am unsure about getting out there. I know obvious solutions like using common sense or "trusting your gut" but what are the real dangers when hiking alone? Should I really be that worried about taking the plunge? Any advice on overcoming this? Thanks in advanced for your help. if i didnt do things alone i wouldnt get much done as im a hermit/loner type. dont fear a journey alone you will have the ultimate chance at h. y. o. h. its kind of akward sometime that you cant count on someone to watch your back,but in reality its humans that you have to watch your back from.now the real problem with being a loner is your biggest danger is that people fear what they cant understand.if they cant find a round hole to pound your triangle ass in you become either too much work for them and they will snap judge you because its easier than taking time out of their precious day,and what they imagine is by far worse than reality.watch for desperate people as a lone wolf is an easy target.you can feather human contact as you need with others around you at your will no mary ellen problems.stangest part of my nature is that in life i find not much in common with people around me and avoid most conversation but on the trail ive found more people willing to accept my freak type look and defiant to foolishness personality.avoid situations where it seems too good to be true it probably is.being alone with your thoughts will make you a deeper thinker, and a better examiner of self.good luck

BlackJack1
07-08-2012, 05:18
I went solo for 270 miles in winter and I am solo tomorrow in the Smokies. I would worry about getting lost because it happened to me more than once. After a week solo you will learn what not to do. Sometimes the A.T. is very unforgiving.

Velvet Gooch
07-08-2012, 06:20
You're harder to sneak up on when hiking solo. A group has more senses collectively, but is much noisier and way more distracted

hikerboy57
07-08-2012, 06:40
I hike alone.best advice stay on the trail.if you're off trail and get hurt you might be hardor to find,otherthan that just trust your instincts.

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 06:43
Although I enjoy company, I really love hiking alone as well.

oldbear
07-08-2012, 08:26
Oddly enough hiking alone can be safer than hiking in a group because when you're alone and you screw up the cavalry is not going to come over the hill to rescue you : you are the cavalry
The practical end result of that is a heightened awareness of one's own vulnerability which results in a conservative , humble , very knowledgeable and a very pragmatic hiker
Then there is the whole ego aspect of group -think
Many of have seen groups rush into situaions where solo hikers fear to tread
Addressing specifics
I would restrict my miles per day to ten and under
Keep my packweight under 30 lbs -since there is no community property the packweight of two solo hikers will always be higher than that of 2ppl hiking together
Use water bottles rather than bladders and stop once an hour on schedule to hydrate , add some calories, check your feet and figure out where you are.
Stay on trail
Go from water to water
Start early an end early
Become obsessive about proper foot placement .After a while you'll develop educated feet that will be conditioned to respond to the nuances of trail conditons But until you do just become really obsessive about where you put your feet
A badly sprained ankle in a group is a treatable injury However for a solo hiker a badly sprained ankle is a potentially life threatening injury.So the name of the game is don't sprain the ankle in the first place ...and that requires situational awareness ........which is easier to do when you're by your lonesome and just focusing
Good luck

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2012, 08:40
I hate people.

Cookerhiker
07-08-2012, 09:10
One factor to consider is which trail? If you're talking about the AT, chances are you're rarely "alone" unless you hike week days in the dead of winter in less-traveled stretches such as west of I-81. If a severe emergency occurs e.g. broken leg, don't panic; someone will come along. Meanwhile you should have brushed up on basic first aid and carry a decent kit. That's not to say you can be careless like those hiking in the Whites whose "preparation" consists of a strong cell phone/radio/SPOT etc.

Also most of the AT is reasonably close to road crossings and side trails to bailout points. Finally, the AT is in much better condition than other Eastern mountain trails by virtue of its National Scenic Trail status and popularity. Every mile along the corridor is covered by the maintaining clubs. You're less likely to have a mishap.

Other less-trod trails are riskier with less fellow hikers and without the maintenance standards of the AT. I found that out firsthand hiking the Allegheny Trail.

GoldenBear
07-08-2012, 09:57
Simply because the idea of hiking with even one other person makes we want to puke. For me, hiking alone is the only way to go. But I recognize that my preference DOES have special challenges.

> what are the real dangers when hiking alone? Should I really be that worried about taking the plunge?

The main "danger" of hiking alone is that you'll be on your own if you suffer any injury or illness. Which means you'll have to do a LOT of planning and preparation to ensure (1) you don't suffer either and (2) you can handle the situation if you do. The most important component of this preparation is HUMILITY -- being willing to forego something (dangerous shortcut, hiking in bad weather) that increases the risk of injury. This is, of course, a judgement call; simply being on the Trail already greatly increases the risk, which (to me at least) is part of the reason of being on the Trail in the first place! But this where "your gut" comes in -- it it's telling you not to go near that cliff to get a view, best not to go there!
It also means learning as much as possible about potential dangers for the area and weather in which you're choosing to hike, and then taking steps (sometimes fairly minimal) to mitigate against such dangers.

Another part of humility is carrying items that will make being found a lot easier. A cell phone (but don't talk while in the shelter!!!), a whistle, a small mirror, and a highly visible piece of orange cloth.

A third part is having someone at home who knows EXACTLY where you will be, and will contact authorities if you don't return in time. There's a HUGE lowering of danger level when your solution to being immobilized (broken ankle, snake bite) is simply to wait for rescue, even if that means waiting for a couple days.

And, perhaps the most important part of humility is being able to say, "Darn -- I truly CAN'T handle this." Yes, it's embarrassing to just turn around and go back. And it's even more embarrassing to call someone and say, "I'm just not prepared for hiking in this area at this time, can you come pick me up?" But I can assure you that your friends and family do NOT want your life story to end up as a book and a movie directed by Sean Penn. Just learn from your mistakes, and do better the next time.

> Any advice on overcoming this?

The best way to increase your confidence about hiking alone is to do an overnight hike, during which you can easily get back to your car if you realize you made a mistake. My first experience with "backpacking" was when I drove to a state park, pulled into a camp site amongst dozens of other people, got everything into my backpack, and then walked three meters to where I set up my tent -- and then steadfastly used only what was in my pack for that night. Adventurous? Of course not -- but that was the POINT. If I had made a mistake, if I had forgotten something that I should have included -- no harm, no foul! I then increased that to hiking a few kilometers from the road for a one-nighter, and I'm now into doing multiple days of true back packing. Along the way you'll find what things you can jettison and what things you should include, which will quickly make your pack just the right weight for you.

kayak karl
07-08-2012, 10:04
I hate people.
LOL i agree.
More I'm Around Some People, The More I Like My Dog

Rain Man
07-08-2012, 10:23
Much depends on whether you are speaking of the AT or some other trail. I've done AT section hikes alone and with other hikers and enjoy both. As others have said, you are rarely alone on the AT. I've never gone a whole day without seeing someone else on the trail. It's hard to get away from people, if you wanted to.

Since you are close by, let me suggest the Nashville Backpacker Meetup group, which has several hikes a month. You can attend a monthly meeting, where we talk about backpacking and/or you can sign up for a hike and learn from the group.
Nashville Backpacker (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/)

If you want to be alone, but are cautious about it, you might consider doing a hike with others, but hiking the reverse way, and meet at night for camp. It's also a convenient way to do one's own shuttle, and I've done it several times. One (or more) hiker(s) hike from one trailhead, the other(s) drive to the other trailhead in another vehicle and start hiking back. They meet in the middle and swap car keys. Can be done on a day hike or an over-nighter.

Anyway, lots of alternatives. Fortunately, you live in a area with lots of good hiking and lots of good hikers.

Rain:sunMan

Driver8
07-08-2012, 10:46
Just curious about some of your views on hiking alone and how many people actually do? I am dying to get on the trail but not being an experienced hiker or being able to find a reliable hiking partner I am unsure about getting out there. I know obvious solutions like using common sense or "trusting your gut" but what are the real dangers when hiking alone? Should I really be that worried about taking the plunge? Any advice on overcoming this? Thanks in advanced for your help.

Hi Captain:

The key here is your comfort level. If you're gonna go out alone for a hike, it's a good idea to start small and build up. Go hike in a place near your home where you know a lot of people like to hike. Read good trail guides for the places you hike. Always bring a map - find one online or get it from an outfitter. The more you hike, the more skilled and intelligent you become about the experience, the more confident and comfortable you become. You find your boundaries and comfort zone expanding.

As with most anything, as others have said here, sound fundamentals are vital. Build up good gear over time - maybe a nice new item as a reward for completing a significant new hiking experience (first 5 mile hike, first 1000-foot elevation gain and loss in a day, first 2000, etc.). You'll figure out what works for you, what keeps you going.

And if you read up on good websites and connect with smart, experienced hikers - there are plenty here - that will also help you gain confidence and experience. You can do it - and the more you hike and hang out in the hiking community, the more people you'll meet that you can hike with if you want. Best of both worlds - able to get out on your own or with others, as you see it. Good luck and happy trails!

BigHodag
07-08-2012, 11:08
On my recent section hike of NY, I encountered as many solo hikers as I did small groups. Mel was the youngest, having just graduated high school and she did fine.

GoldenBear gave you some of the best advice. Have a safety person with a copy of your maps and other planning documents. Use TrailPhone, SMS messaging and short telephone calls to give location updates. Stay within earshot of the trail.

I like the humility advice best. Last week I limped in to Dennytown Road (NY) with an inflamed knee and a few small blisters. After a night of Ibuprofen, I tested my knee on a small section of trail. I made the hard decision to abandon my hike while I could still walk on flat, level surfaces rather then become disabled 2-3 miles up trail and need rescue. Blisters I can walk on, a bum knee is disabling. Took many hours to road walk to where I could find a ride to the nearest train station. Rather that than a dozen people having to spend their day hauling my butt and pack off the trail. So, yes. Know when to stop, where to get medical assistance, and where your extraction points are located. I highlight town names with blue for medical and orange for transportation points on my maps. If you're able to walk out, at least go in the right direction.

Not having a companion is no barrier to the A.T.. Borrow or rent some gear from REI and take a 2-3 day journey. You'll learn from every trip and eventually become as wise and experienced as any thru hiker.

SawnieRobertson
07-08-2012, 11:10
Every one of the above longer posts is a well-written, well-thought-out letter by someone who knows whereof he/she speaks. I am in "heaven" when I am walking solo on the trail. Once at the shelter area though, I enjoy having several hikers already there because there is so much camaraderie and sharing. When I had a hard face plant out of Damascus though, I knew I was injured because of the blood. That is when Golden Bear's recommendation that we carry a small mirror became important. There was lots of blood coming from my face, but I could not determine the depth of the cuts. It cost me. If I'd been with someone else, he/she could have advised me. I had the equipment to clean the wounds, but I couldn't do a good job. They were, obviously, full of dirt. I hiked out, caught a ride to town, had the doc look them over and clean them up. It cost me, not just his work but his orders that I return in THREE days. For want of a small mirror . . . or a partner. The pull back to the trail, however, is the time alone to think, to evaluate, to recall, as well as to observe one's surroundings. That is impeded by having another person with me too much of the time.

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 11:14
Yea leave a note to relatives as to what you are doing and where you parked - I locked myself out once and ended hiking more miles because I could not describe where the car was.

hikerboy57
07-08-2012, 11:17
I posted the link to www.hikesafe.com in the health forum the other day.great advice for newbies and some good reminders for the rest of us.

Aquaman12
07-08-2012, 11:31
I just attempted a thru hike this year...I wasnt alone but a lot of my friends started out that way. there are SOO many people out there, you will very rarely be alone! Dont worry! Its a great experience and I can't wait until 2014 to try again!!!! :)

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 11:55
I posted the link to www.hikesafe.com (http://www.hikesafe.com) in the health forum the other day.great advice for newbies and some good reminders for the rest of us.

I took a look at the site, its more for education and folks who did not attend Boy Scouts, really its almost the same stuff.

10-K
07-08-2012, 11:57
Whether or not you wil enjoy hiking alone depends largely on your personality.

I get all the social stimulation I need paying the cashier for my groceries once a week so I get along pretty good by myself...
:)

That is not to say I can't enjoy hiking with someone for a few days. But longer than a week and it'd be tough.

Biggie Master
07-08-2012, 11:59
I hate people.

It's not really the people, it's the stupid and annoying crap they do (see graffitti post... see Mary Ellen post... see hiking silent post...) Hardly anyone goes out on the trail for the social interaction aspect. People are people - it doesn't matter if they're on the trail or at the mall. There's always that small (or not so small) percentage that make you scratch your head and say "what an idiot!".

Cookerhiker
07-08-2012, 12:33
... Hardly anyone goes out on the trail for the social interaction aspect. ...

I think you're describing hikers' motivations for every other trail in the country but I'm not so sure any more about the AT. It seems to me a lot of the trail journals relate stories of people (fellow hikers) encountered on the trail and also talk a lot about the towns & hostels. And I've seen WB threads on the subject "what's your favorite part of the trail" or "things not to miss" where most responses are trail towns or specific hostels & restaurants, sometimes hiker feeds and other "festivals."

Until 10 years ago, when one spoke of a trail "guide," it referred to one of the ATC-published books describing the natural features of the AT or other relevant facts such as campsites, water sources, and side trails. Nowadays, I get the impression - at least from on-line places like WB and FB - that hikers seeking a "guide" are talking about AWOL's or the Companion with the focus on trail towns and services.

Mags
07-08-2012, 12:55
I just posted this on my website the other day. Good timing (?).

Why solo wilderness adventures? What is it about being alone in the wilderness that may be appealing to certain people?

Here's my own personal perspective.

From a personal perspective, I need solo trips.

I love time spent with friends in the outdoors. In fact, the basis of some of my closest friendships were formed from shared experiences in the outdoors.

But, well, I am an 'extroverted introvert'. (Huh? Wha???)

I can be friendly and sociable. Love the apres ski (fancy word for burgers and beer!) and laughing about a trip with companions.

But, there is something I NEED for in the outdoors. And I can only get it solo. Quickly in my relationship with (the soon-to-be) Mrs. Mags, I took a hard line on my vacation time. One week is mine. And it has to be solo.

Why solo? Here's something I wrote a few years back…

I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty
stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the
stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty
miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but
instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness
and a quiet exultation.

So said Cactus Ed (Abbey).

I really can't say it much better..but because I ramble on, I'm going to say something anyway. http://www.pmags.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

When hiking solo. I do not feel alone. I do much thinking that otherwise would not be done. Everything is more intense. Somehow the views are vaster, the sounds sharper, the smells more sharp. The feelings
are overwhelming. In short, I do not feel alone. I feel intimately connected to the universe in which I walk.

When I did the PCT, I went four days without seeing anyone. I stumbled upon a herd of elk on a rainy Oregon day. The sounds of hoofs crashing through the woods, the smell of the damp earth, the incredible sight of the large elk going through the woods. Almost four years later, this image is etched vividly in my memory.

When I did the Colorado Trail, I was caught in a snowstorm on San Luis saddle At 12500' plus, well above treeline. I bailed into Creede. The following day, was again on the divide. The mountains around me were white, the sky was a deep blue. The air had the crispness of Colorado in autumn. It was an over whelming intense scene. My eyes filled up with theintense emotion I felt with the beauty encompassing
me.

Solo hiking can be difficult. You are by yourself, in your own thoughts. You must use your own resources. I don't think being alone is what makes going solo hard…I think confronting yourself, having all around
you that much more intense…that is what people find difficult.

For me, solo hiking turns a thru-hike from an extended vacation into a wilderness pilgrimage. When going solo, I am forced to confront on a very gut level what I am seeking on the pilgrimage.

The beauty, the emotion, my thoughts.

And I would not have it any other way.

SawnieRobertson
07-08-2012, 13:30
That is a pretty good post, Paul. Now, what is this about a "soon to be Mrs. Mags?" Congratulations!

The Captain
07-08-2012, 14:02
Wow, didnt expect this many replies! I think starting at my local park is a great idea and plan on doing so soon. We'll see where it goes from there. Thanks for the help!

spekkio12345
07-08-2012, 14:12
I think it is a little easier going it alone in most cases.... well at least the hiking and covering miles part. Once you have spent some time backpacking with a variety of different folks you will see why. Regardless, it is rare to be "alone" on the AT for more than a mile or two at a time, especially in the summer... so if you wanna socialize you usually don't need to look any further than the closest shelter at the end of the day.

kayak karl
07-08-2012, 14:52
After a week solo you will learn what not to do. Sometimes the A.T. is very unforgiving.
in what ways did you find it unforgiving?

Old Boots
07-08-2012, 14:58
In one sense everyone hikes alone. No one can experience your hike. Hiking with others is problematic. Whose pace? How do you decide when to zero or head into town? Over the long haul these become significant issues. What works for me on the AT is finding a group of people who move at roughly my pace. We run into one another along the trail and keep track of each other at shelters, log books, trail journals, and word of mouth.

mikec
07-08-2012, 15:31
I hiked alone for most of the sections that I have hiked from Springer to Franconia Notch, NH. However, I now find that the trail is much tougher in New England. Because of that I am going to have a hiking partner for the last 353 miles that I have to do on the AT.

Mags
07-08-2012, 18:08
That is a pretty good post, Paul. Now, what is this about a "soon to be Mrs. Mags?" Congratulations!

http://www.pmags.com/best-full-moon-hike-ever

We are getting married this September in Golden Gate Canyon SP. Our reception is a cookout and out 'lodging' is group campground. :)

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 18:44
I think you're describing hikers' motivations for every other trail in the country but I'm not so sure any more about the AT. It seems to me a lot of the trail journals relate stories of people (fellow hikers) encountered on the trail and also talk a lot about the towns & hostels. And I've seen WB threads on the subject "what's your favorite part of the trail" or "things not to miss" where most responses are trail towns or specific hostels & restaurants, sometimes hiker feeds and other "festivals."

Until 10 years ago, when one spoke of a trail "guide," it referred to one of the ATC-published books describing the natural features of the AT or other relevant facts such as campsites, water sources, and side trails. Nowadays, I get the impression - at least from on-line places like WB and FB - that hikers seeking a "guide" are talking about AWOL's or the Companion with the focus on trail towns and services.Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce's guide books go back to the early 90's, mine is from 1995.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 18:50
Lotta really good posts here,good luck on your hike.I'd recomend going alone sometime in your life,you may just learn some things about yourself that you did not know.Be safe, be well, just be.

Mike2012
07-08-2012, 19:37
Been hiking "alone" for close to 1,000 miles so far. Some days it really does feel alone and maybe I see 2 or three other people but other days I come upon a whole crew of people and enjoy that too. On the AT there are always people but the "crowds" ebb and flow. Your best tool is your mind. It keeps you from hiking in high winds and lightning storms, keeps you from diving into muddy water, keeps you from trying to hike too far on little food and water. Hiking alone also gives you a great gift of being alone with your thoughts where you deal with things that bug you when you aren't distracted by daily workaday life, the tv and internet. Excepting last weekends storms in Virginia I've never really been scared on the trail but I have had those gut feelings to stop talking with someone and move on but that's just been once or twice. Back in Georgia I was asking this dude named Peakseeker if he ever had any scary storms on his thru hike and he said yes but he gave me the sage advice to not think about all the things that could happen on your hike but to just take each day as it comes one day at a time.
"hike your own hike"

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 19:40

We are getting married this September in Golden Gate Canyon SP. Our reception is a cookout and out 'lodging' is group campground. :)

This has nothing to do with hiking and congratulations, but that is the coolest engagement ring ever.

MuddyWaters
07-08-2012, 19:53
Its actually hard to be alone for very long.

What makes you think you would be any better off with someone?

Its funny, when learning to diver recreationally, they teach you the "buddy system". You have to have a dive buddy, never allowed to go alone.
When you get very experienced , diving deeper, etc however, many avoid that.
The truth is, a buddy is just one more thing that can get you in trouble or kill you.

You have shown the sense to read here, and ask questions. You will be fine.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 19:56

We are getting married this September in Golden Gate Canyon SP. Our reception is a cookout and out 'lodging' is group campground. :)Congradulations Paul, wishing you much happieness in the future!

Malto
07-08-2012, 21:58
I do 99% of my trips alone but it was a journey to get here. Before I started backpacking I did a lot of car camping along the rapidan in va. Not an established campground but there might have been other people a 1/4 mile away. As summer turned to winter I found that I was alone up on the river. But it a very familiar place and I found peace in isolation. When I started backpacking it was in the Sierra and again it took me several trips before I felt comfortable alone in the wild. Interestingly I also had a very similar transformation the first time I went tent free on a trip. I lost the comfort of the very thin piece of plastic between me and the wild. But soon it became natural and I do most of my hikes solo. But even now it gets a bit freaky such as the the snowshoe trip into the heart of the Sierra. There wasn't another human within 20 air miles and I knew that I was on my own. But as others before me said, you gain a certain humility about what is smart to do or not do.

Take it a step at a time. Solo trips are great for many reason reasons previous mentioned. It will also make the more social trips even better.

SawnieRobertson
07-08-2012, 22:10
I took a look at the site, its more for education and folks who did not attend Boy Scouts, really its almost the same stuff. Some of us, WOO, were excluded from Boy Scouts. :- 0

10-K
07-08-2012, 22:30
Someone mentioned they were going to have a hiking partner for the NH/ME section of the trail because it was more difficult.

I just want to suggest that you hike the trail 1 step at a time. Just the step right in front of you. You don't hike the whole trail at one time...

I'm trying to convey this concept to my wife. I'm teaching her how to ride a motorcycle and she doesn't want to go on a road with too many curves.

In her mind she's driving through all the curves at one time... In reality, you only have to go around the curve you're in - not all of them at once.

Hiking is like that.

Marta
07-08-2012, 23:13
Hi Captain:

The key here is your comfort level. If you're gonna go out alone for a hike, it's a good idea to start small and build up. Go hike in a place near your home where you know a lot of people like to hike. Read good trail guides for the places you hike. Always bring a map - find one online or get it from an outfitter. The more you hike, the more skilled and intelligent you become about the experience, the more confident and comfortable you become. You find your boundaries and comfort zone expanding.

As with most anything, as others have said here, sound fundamentals are vital. Build up good gear over time - maybe a nice new item as a reward for completing a significant new hiking experience (first 5 mile hike, first 1000-foot elevation gain and loss in a day, first 2000, etc.). You'll figure out what works for you, what keeps you going.

And if you read up on good websites and connect with smart, experienced hikers - there are plenty here - that will also help you gain confidence and experience. You can do it - and the more you hike and hang out in the hiking community, the more people you'll meet that you can hike with if you want. Best of both worlds - able to get out on your own or with others, as you see it. Good luck and happy trails!

This is what I would say also. Start easy and add elements of difficulty little by little.

Miner
07-08-2012, 23:27
My first backpacking trips in college were done solo. Didn't know anyone who liked that sort of thing. Never was in scouts so I started with simple overnighters in good weather as I dealt with the learning curve; no internet back then. Not much has changed since then as 95% of the time I'm sill hiking or backpacking solo.

XrayDuke
07-08-2012, 23:40
I just celebrated my 50th birthday by going the day before my birthday and hiking alone up Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina. As I was sitting on a cliff and watching sunset I thought to myself that if is what the first 50 years is like I can't wait for the next 50.

Make sure you are comfortable with your skills and get out there and enjoy that time by yourself. I have a friend I hike with but it is good to get away and relax and be a little selfish and only have to worry about your own hike and nothing else.

Giantsbane
07-25-2012, 14:12
I hiked the Ouachita Trail here in Arkansas all by myself. It's only 223 miles long, but it's pretty unknown by most people. An example of this was when I got to the end, I was talking to two other day hikers in the state park that it ends at and they had no idea that the trail was so long. Point is, I would have been screwed if something had happened to me. Fortunetly I made it out ok. Like most people have said, just use common sense.

DavidNH
07-25-2012, 15:08
the big advantage of hiking alone.. there's no one else about to make you feel you are too slow or too fast. Plus.. when I go alone.. I love the company!

Drybones
07-25-2012, 15:47
LOL i agree.
More I'm Around Some People, The More I Like My Dog

Love my dog...can take or leave people. I'd rather hike alone but it's nice to have have someone to BS with at camp...especially if they bring the bottle. Most important thing hiking alone is to not do stupid stuff where you may get injured...advice is to be given, not taken.

Bronk
07-26-2012, 05:06
I hate people.

"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." ~Joseph Baretti

maxthegirl
07-26-2012, 21:09
10-K I love this sentiment.
One step at a time and presence is so important.
One step at a time even in a storm, is not as paralyzing as the thought of all those steps together.

Danl
07-26-2012, 21:44
I too would like to find a good partner to do more hiking with. I am a member of the Nashville Backpackers meetup group that RainMan refers to. The problem i have is i had surgery on my feet and do not want to commit to hiking in a group because i do not want to slow them down. So Solo for me right now. The problem with that , for me is i can't stand my company :D

Papa D
07-26-2012, 21:51
I love hiking alone and setting my own pace - it helps me do big miles, think about things, I focus on things that matter in a clear headed way. I so love to hike alone all day and then meet other folks (if I'm on the AT or other big trail) at night that are roughly on my same pace - hiking with others for a bit is fun passing folks, having them get ahead of you, all this is fun but basically going it alone gives you lots of options

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2012, 21:51
I hate people.

"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." ~Joseph Baretti

Oh Carp ... I thought you were Quoting John Gault or Bob Saget......oops... Read my Signature....

DogPaw
07-27-2012, 14:15
Oh Carp ... I thought you were Quoting John Gault or Bob Saget......oops... Read my Signature....

Wait. Our nice, friendly John Gault, or crazy Atlas Shrugged character John Gault?

Maddog
07-27-2012, 14:35
I hate people.
+1 Me too! Maddog:)

wookinpanub
07-27-2012, 16:01
Southbound solo thru-hike. Never had a hiking partner. Went from Katahdin to Monson without seeing a soul. Didn't see anyone on the trail until some day hikers coming off of Avery Peak. Didn't share a shelter until Grafton Notch.
It was my 2nd backpacking trip.

I developed a simple set of rules that gave me great comfort then and on subsequent trips:
1) As best you can, let family members or friends know where you are.
2) Plan, plan, and replan. Preparation is mandatory when hiking alone.
3) Try to never camp within 2 miles of a road. Jerks aren't going to hike an hour to harass you.
4) When first meeting small (less than 4) groups of people on the trail, be vague about the size of your group, where you're going, and where you've been. Once they've earned your trust, then you can divulge this info.
5) Minimize time in towns and don't let townsfolks know your details (same thought process as above).
6) Always know where the nearest road out is, in case of an emergency.

There's so much advice to not hike alone, but I've always been aggravated that no one has devoted more emphasis on how to do it safely.

Pedaling Fool
07-27-2012, 18:01
Wait. Our nice, friendly John Gault, or crazy Atlas Shrugged character John Gault?Ain't no Atlas Shrugged fan, but that John spelled his name: "Galt".

Drybones
07-27-2012, 19:31
I hiked the Ouachita Trail here in Arkansas all by myself. It's only 223 miles long, but it's pretty unknown by most people. An example of this was when I got to the end, I was talking to two other day hikers in the state park that it ends at and they had no idea that the trail was so long. Point is, I would have been screwed if something had happened to me. Fortunetly I made it out ok. Like most people have said, just use common sense.

Didn't realize the QT was that long either, may do it in the near future. What's the best time of year to hike it? Do you see many hikers on the QT?

AegisIII
07-27-2012, 21:24
Ain't no Atlas Shrugged fan, but that John spelled his name: "Galt".

I always figured you were an encased postage stamp man.

Del Q
07-27-2012, 21:34
I grew up and live near Philly...........being in the woods is tons safer

To me being alone in the woods is awesome...................the core issue is self-confidence

Pretty basic stuff..........the AT is not too far from anywhere, common sense rules.

RockDoc
07-27-2012, 21:49
It's pretty impossible to hike alone on the AT now.
I did it for 1000 miles back in the 1970's and almost always had shelters to myself or maybe one other.
But there are just too many people now.
Find a different trail, or go in the extreme off season if you want to be alone.

Last year in April-May I hiked the VA AT, and we counted the north-bounders as we approached Damascus. It was never less than 30, and the high number was 80. If you hike for 8 hrs that's passing someone every 6 minutes.

Blackett
09-16-2012, 17:45
Why do you say use water bottles rather than bladders?

Drybones
09-16-2012, 18:18
I hate people.

People hate you......just kiddin....we love you john!

Gray Blazer
09-16-2012, 19:50
I might hike alone, but, I don't hike without my big dog.

Papa D
09-16-2012, 20:04
I hike alone better than 50% of the time. I really like the freedom of not having to deal with anyone's problems and setting whatever schedule and pace I want. I do like camping with others though - - I've hiked days on end (especially in the winter) camping alone each night - - after a while it is fun to run into someone. Most of my long solo-trips start solo, but (at least on the AT), I fall in step with a few people and see them in the day and over various nights - - occasionally, I'm joined by friends too. This mix works well for me. I guess this thread is more about one's fears hiking solo - - I'm always pretty cautious and watchful of what I do on trail (and watchful of others) - problems have been truly rare.

Acacia
09-17-2012, 05:16
Why do you say use water bottles rather than bladders?

Might have to do with being more aware of how much water you have left when you take a drink

Penn-J
09-17-2012, 09:30
I much prefer to hike solo than with a partner or a group.

People always say, “so you just go all by your self?” I think they feel bad for me, like if you don't spend your free time around other people you're weird or something. That used to bother me years ago when I first discovered hiking but now I just smile and say “yup.”

I've hiked with groups and I do enjoy the camaraderie at times but I feel it's much more of a spiritual experience when you hike solo.

As others have posted earlier on this thread, I suggest starting slow, go on a very short overnight where your car is only a mile or so away, then next time go a little farther etc... It's just like anything that you're new at. Just take baby steps and before you know it, you'll crave solitude!

Good Luck :)

Papa D
09-17-2012, 21:57
I much prefer to hike solo than with a partner or a group.

People always say, “so you just go all by your self?” I think they feel bad for me, like if you don't spend your free time around other people you're weird or something. That used to bother me years ago when I first discovered hiking but now I just smile and say “yup.”

I've hiked with groups and I do enjoy the camaraderie at times but I feel it's much more of a spiritual experience when you hike solo.

As others have posted earlier on this thread, I suggest starting slow, go on a very short overnight where your car is only a mile or so away, then next time go a little farther etc... It's just like anything that you're new at. Just take baby steps and before you know it, you'll crave solitude!

Good Luck :)

Yep - I 've had that "so you just go by yourself" feel sorry question asked a bunch too. I just smile. Hike your own hike.;)

hikerboy57
09-17-2012, 22:24
Your awareness expands much more easily without the distractions of a hiking partner. your internal dialogue shuts down much faster. it becomes easier to experience everything going on around you. that being said sometimes it's nice to share 1 of those magical moments.
but I prefer to hike alone.

coach lou
09-17-2012, 22:24
Yep - I 've had that "so you just go by yourself" feel sorry question asked a bunch too. I just smile. Hike your own hike.;)

BIG smile......................:D

hikerboy57
09-17-2012, 22:26
Coach lou pulling out to huge slabs of Mississippi Mud cake being 1 of those magical moments.

coach lou
09-17-2012, 22:32
Besides, when we hike it takes me all day to catch up.

lvnv1212
09-18-2012, 14:19
I like the freedom to do whatever I want - when to stop for a break, when/where to camp, how fast to walk, etc...

gunner76
09-19-2012, 09:33
Thses days I hike by myself as no else wants to go hiking when or where I want to. I don't worry about getting lost, I just think of it as exploring an area I have never been to before.

Monkeywrench
09-19-2012, 17:06
I don't worry about getting lost, I just think of it as exploring an area I have never been to before.

I don't get lost, I do route reconnaissance.

Many Moons
09-19-2012, 18:16
I did my first hike this year, by self. Only way to go. You will meet others and don't have to worry about someone else. Only way I will hike at this point. Do you want to live forever?

Rasty
09-19-2012, 18:17
I hate people.
+1 Me too! Maddog:)

I like people but after 50 weeks or so I need alone time.:)

TheYoungOne
11-08-2012, 10:44
I usually hike alone. I can tell you on most day hikes on the AT, even on the ones when I play hooky in the middle of the week to avoid seeing people, I still pass by at least one hiker. On the AT if you are hiking alone and something bad happens, eventually a hiker, hunter, or random person will find you. Its not like out west, most times on the AT I get cellphone reception. The only time I get that weird feeling is camping. If other hikers are at a shelter, I feel a little more at ease. I just sleep better knowing there are other eyes and ears around with the same common goal. I'm more concerned that I would be camping alone, and some local drunk teens pull up on the shelter and decide to mess with the lone hiker more than anything.

I try to get other to hike with me, but none of my friends and family are interested. The problem I have is I have certain goals, like hiking a different section each time to complete the whole AT in my state, seeing a certain thing, or hiking a certain distance at a fast pace. Its hard to have another person if you if you have certain goals.

Spirit Bear
11-08-2012, 11:47
I hike alone because I can never get anyone to go with me. When someone does want to go I end up being the sherpa guide for their hike, meaning I have to make sure they are having fun, not tired, have enough water, not to much weight, etc. I end up being their "leader" when i am still figuring it out on my own as well. I also notice most of my friends that do say they will go with me don't really like walking in teh woods for long periods of time. It isnt what they thought it would be and they hold me responsible for not having a summit view every half mile.

After hiking solo for much of this year, I have now realized I have overcome my general fear of being in the woods alone. I have encountered 6 bears alone on the trail, have fallen 3 times, one was off a 5 foot cliffe on blood mountain, just scraped me up some, wet slippery rock, I learned my lesson on proper footing that day.

I think the time I feel the most alone when hiking solo is when I am eating. I prefer to eat while walking but for dinner i always eat a hot meal about a mile or 2 before I end my day, that is the lonley part of my hike, always when I am eating my dinner sitting there in silence.

I have a book always with me, an AM FM radio (NPR is the bomb on hiking trips). Also I have a journal and write.

My head is always clearer after a few days of hiking alone, you will run into someone out there, I always do anyway.

I also realized I hate hiking with people because no one hikes the same pace, so you are eather slowing yoru pace or speeding it up, which is annoying, not to mention you're always looking at someone ass or they are looking at yours on the trail.

I do enjoy meeting people on the trail though, I respect their privacy and can pick up pretty quickly if this person is lonely and wants some company or they are wanting to not be bothered.

Hike your own hike. I can't imagine hiking in a big group, what a nightmare.

Spirit Bear
11-08-2012, 11:54
And you will get cell phone reception on nearly every summit, I do anyway. You can text where you are as you get connection, always check when on a summit and have a go to person that knows where you are, i mean they know the areas you hike, if your doing a thru hike have your home base person set up a whiteblaze account so they can post if they are concerned. this website is the eyes and ears of the AT.

OP, have your mom set up a whiteblaze account and get her use to navigating around her so she can see what's up.

Also post in the journal's at the shelters, that is the origional message board of the AT.

Tinker
11-08-2012, 12:05
When you hike alone, you notice your surroundings.

When you hike with others you notice them.

Neither one is better than the other.

It's nice to have a choice.

**** If you're a newbie spend some time hiking with more experienced hikers. Learning from others' mistakes is better than possibly making one crucial one your last. :eek:

ighwoman
11-08-2012, 14:36
In the end, virtually every hiker ends up hiking alone. It is difficult to impossible to find another person (let alone a group of people) who hike at the same pace as you. Either you take a short break once an hour, or you like to stop and listen to the wind in the trees, or (like me) stop to take photos of a snail, all/any of which can be incompatible with other hiker's paces.
As others have said, make sure you pack is as light as you can justify, you consume enough calories during the day, and stay attuned to your environment, and you will do just fine. Don't walk any faster than you feel you safely can (your pace will pick up once you are conditioned) and stay hydrated.

oneoldgoat
11-09-2012, 16:18
I am replying to you because by your icon, I believe you are a female. This particular thread interested me because I am a 50 year old female who plans to thru hike when my kids graduate from college. Until then, I am working on hiking a little at a time - this spring I plan to hike a week in VA. I plan to hike solo mainly because no one wants to go with me (its not me, its the hike :) Any words of wisdom aside from the original poster? I think for the first time out, I would prefer to hike with a partner but that doesn't seem as if it is likely to happen. Thanks Captain, for starting this thread!!

oneoldgoat
11-09-2012, 16:19
I think I may have posted this as a private message and I didn't mean too - sorry!
This particular thread interested me because I am a 50 year old female who plans to thru hike when my kids graduate from college. Until then, I am working on hiking a little at a time - this spring I plan to hike a week in VA. I plan to hike solo mainly because no one wants to go with me (its not me, its the hike :) Any words of wisdom aside from the original poster? I think for the first time out, I would prefer to hike with a partner but that doesn't seem as if it is likely to happen. Thanks Captain, for starting this thread!!

HikerMom58
11-09-2012, 16:33
I think for the first time out, I would prefer to hike with a partner but that doesn't seem as if it is likely to happen. Thanks Captain, for starting this thread!! [/QUOTE]

Don't give up on not finding a partner too fast... putting it out here on WB may get you a hiking partner. Also try post a thread on the "hooking up" forum.

MuddyWaters
11-11-2012, 23:03
You both hike at your own paces. You will be separated and alone anyway much of the time. Your partner will be 1-10 min in front of you, or behind you. You will meet up again when you stop for breaks every hr or so.

Its better this way anyway. The trail is rarely more than a single-track. Staring at your partners butt all day isnt quite as enjoyable as being by yourself and looking around at scenery.

Airman
11-11-2012, 23:16
If you are hiking in the spring, don't worry, you will never be alone. The trail is full of hikers. In the fall, it is much different. The other worries are all mentioned in the different replies.

Many Moons
11-11-2012, 23:22
I think for the first time out, I would prefer to hike with a partner but that doesn't seem as if it is likely to happen. Thanks Captain, for starting this thread!!

Don't give up on not finding a partner too fast... putting it out here on WB may get you a hiking partner. Also try post a thread on the "hooking up" forum.[/QUOTE]

Just start hiking there are so many people out there you will find some as you hike that you like. Get in or near the bubble and you will find some hikers that you like. Then just hike. Hike On!!!

Miller
ILMT

HikerMom58
11-12-2012, 07:49
Don't give up on not finding a partner too fast... putting it out here on WB may get you a hiking partner. Also try post a thread on the "hooking up" forum.

Just start hiking there are so many people out there you will find some as you hike that you like. Get in or near the bubble and you will find some hikers that you like. Then just hike. Hike On!!!

Many Moons- if you are addressing oneoldgoat's comment then I think you didn't understand what she was saying... she isn't talking about wanting a hiking partner for a thru-hike. If that was the case, I would have given her the same advise as you did. She is talking about section hiking & her first time out. She wants a hiking partner for her first experience out on the trail. She is planning a spring hike and would love a partner for that. It's hard to understand what people are asking on here, sometimes... no prob....

Miller
ILMT[/QUOTE]

TheYoungOne
11-19-2012, 14:52
You both hike at your own paces. You will be separated and alone anyway much of the time. Your partner will be 1-10 min in front of you, or behind you. You will meet up again when you stop for breaks every hr or so.

Its better this way anyway. The trail is rarely more than a single-track. Staring at your partners butt all day isnt quite as enjoyable as being by yourself and looking around at scenery.

Depends who your partner is ;)

Seriously though that is a good point. Think of being with someone on a long train or car trip. With a best friend that you have not seen in years, you can fill the entire time in conversation. With most other people however you have long awkward silence between occasional chit-chat.

keepinitsimple
01-16-2013, 17:23
Old thread I know, but need to respond. I love hiking alone. I also lived by myself for many years. I think it is a life skill some never acquire. The ability to sit in your own *****, deal with it, clean yourself off, and stay positive, is something that applies to many facets of life. I also like hiking with a buddy, a small group, or my class of 30 students.

HikerMom58
01-16-2013, 17:46
Happy for you... :)