PDA

View Full Version : Tent repair kits

TickPicker
04-21-2005, 17:26
Anyone have experience with store bought tent repair kits. Any better than others?? Just bought my first tent, a kelty teton 2 for well under a hundred. Went to church and left tent in box in bedroom..........came home and dog had actually pulled the stuff sack out of the box and had chewed one tooth shape hole that went through the sack, into the netting and into the bottom of tent. One lousy hole........whew. Maybe the dog was trying to set the tent up........:confused: any information would be appreciated.

Steve
The land of the dimpled chad

TickPicker
04-23-2005, 18:01
just trying to resurrect this thread. anyone have any experience with tent repair kits.........:confused:

Panzer1
04-23-2005, 18:04
You might try calling the manufacturer and ask them.

Panzer

Stoker53
04-23-2005, 20:49
I've used ripstop repair tape on a few ocasions with mixed results. I've found that duct tape works well and is easier to find than nylon specific repair tape.

I put a square patch on BOTH sides of the hole then lay the material on a flat hard surface where I use a small wooden roller ( the kind you use to smooth wallpaper seams ) to roll the tape down HARD esp the edges.

I have used this method on tent floors, tarps, stuff sacks and pack covers with good success. You can also get duct tape in different colors in case you don't like silver squares on 'yo stuff.

Hope this helps.

Peaks
04-24-2005, 20:30
About the only tent repair that I have ever had to do required the tent repair tape for a small tear or puncture. I used the repair tape sold for tents.

orangebug
04-24-2005, 21:22
silicon caulk and a patch of silnylon will fix tears and holes in silnylon. If your dog chewed into the bug netting, I'm sure that duct tape circles will be a pretty good repair.

My dog only chewed up Ridgerests, making an opportunity to make new seat cushions and very fancy cozies.

Ta1kingDirt
04-24-2005, 21:39
I would recommend possibly placing an adhesive ripstop patch (cut into a circle) over the hole on the bottom of the tent, adding a dab of seam sealer on the hole on the inside of the tent, then add another circular patch to the inside. Duct tape might not last as long as this, but would be cheaper.