PDA

View Full Version : What is the going rate for shuttles?

Lybarger
07-08-2012, 06:58
What are you paying per mile for a shuttle?

Also, when a driver quotes a price per mile does he/she mean the distance of the shuttle for the hiker or the round trip mileage that gets the shuttler home?

generoll
07-08-2012, 07:12
FWIW, I charge by the hour for my time from my home back to my home.

Velvet Gooch
07-08-2012, 07:12
Soul plus first born. Add right nut if tipping generously

speedbump
07-08-2012, 07:55
In NH and Maine, I pay about 40 -60 each time, plus tip. I have nbrs of shuttle guys in this area if you need them.

tdoczi
07-08-2012, 09:28
my most recent shuttles have been $2 per mile for the time i was in the car, return trip not counted. it seems to vary some. i never remember the specifics of arrangements but i know in the past year ive paid both $90 and $216 for 2 different shuttles that covered approximately the same amount of trail miles. some shuttlers are just more giving, the guy whoi charged me $90 i'm sure didnt make any real profit to speak of.

the other thing is most times if a shuttler has to drive say 20 or 30 miles first just to get you and then drive you another distance further away (ie not picking you up and bringing you back towards where they started) you will get charged for the distance they traveled without in the car. this mostly seems fair except one time someone amde this arrangement with me but then it turned out had someone to shuttle that first distance before picking me up, but then charged me anyway, in effect getting paid twice to drive the same set of miles.

Lyle
07-08-2012, 09:44
If there is a "standard" it seems to be $1 per mile. Some start at a flat fee, then add mileage, others charge only mileage. Every shuttle I've had charged "loaded miles", miles when I was in the vehicle. A few have charged $1.50 or $2 per mile. Some charge a bit more for shorter distance, especially if they have to drive any substantial amount from their home to do the shuttle. Many charge the same whether there are one or three hikers, others may charge for each hiker (at a discount). I almost always add a tip of $10 or $20 dollars for the driver, especially is service was prompt and they did extra stops for coffee, pee, last minute groceries, etc.

I have never been "ripped off" if you consider all the costs involved, including the drivers time and inconvenience. Try calling a Taxi for a similar trip and you would be shocked.

Shuttles are definitely individual, with no absolute "norms". Something you need to discuss with the shuttle folks before you commit.

BFI
07-08-2012, 18:56
Out of Daleville it was $1.50 per mile , it seemed the average was around $30.00 per trip prior to. If its a longer distance you can usually get a flat fee.

MuddyWaters
07-08-2012, 19:38
Ive paid $2 per mile carried for winding two lane mountain roads . A 30 mile carried trip could be 2hrs+ of driving for the driver, + gas+ wear and tear.

Breaking it down: IRS allows ~$.55/mile for gas/wear and tear for personal vehicle use, so Ill start there with that figure.

60 mile rt*.5=$30 for gas and wear and tear

$15/hr x 2 hrs = $30 for drivers time

$60 would be appropriate, minimum to me, = $2/mile basically

Trubrit
07-09-2012, 07:52
You may wish to be aware. I was recently informed by some Law enforcement friends, that while they turn a blind eye to the creditable services shuttle drivers perform it is in fact illegal! Yep I was surprised too until they pointed out that to carry a fare paying passenger the driver has to have a hackney license and have vehicle insurance that covers fare paying passengers. Also that while in the vehicle no fare paying passenger will be in any way covered by the drivers usual insurance!
Thanks for all the assistance these people give to Hikers while risking serious problems with the law.
Oh just to promote.. Fort Bastian has this season, helped out over 340 AT hikers with shuttles , accommodation, showers, resupply trips, etc. No we don't charge anything for the services. Safe hiking to all.

Red Hat
07-09-2012, 09:54
I think it used to be $1 per mile one way several years ago, but that has changed with gas prices. Now it is at least $1.50 per mile one way, unless the shuttler charges by the hour like Gene. Which makes sense, really, because it is a lot different driving so many miles up a mountain and driving a highway between two towns.

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 10:01
Lone Wolf would probably be the person to best answer this question. He's still alive so he must drive well. AND you would get to experience his ** sparkling ** personality!!

max patch
07-09-2012, 10:10
Truebrit is correct - your normal auto insurance will not cover you in the event of accident. I'm willing to bet that most shuttlers do not know they are facing financial ruin if they get in an accident with injuries unless they have that extra policy. I verified this with my insurance carrier several years ago.

Red Hat
07-09-2012, 12:51
Lone Wolf would probably be the person to best answer this question. He's still alive so he must drive well. AND you would get to experience his ** sparkling ** personality!!
I'm sorry that have not yet met LW personally, because he is awesome (and quite different from on here).... another reason why it is best to not judge folks by the internet

Red Hat
07-09-2012, 12:53
oops forgot the "you" in have not met....