PDA

View Full Version : New here! Got a question.

Jane Doe
04-21-2005, 18:40
Hi, I'm new here. I'm starting to sersiously contemplate a thru-hike. I've always wanted to do it though. Here's the thing. I am now 27 and been out of school for a few years and working in my chosen professional field. I am wondering at what age did people do their first thru-hike. Did you have to stop your career. Or did you do it before/after? Or had you just been working jobs to make the money? Did that all make sense? Any help in this area would be most helpful to me.

BookBurner
04-21-2005, 19:03
I was a trial lawyer with a traditional solo practice before my thru-hike in 2002. Since returning from Katahdin, however, I've practiced only on a consulting basis with other lawyers. That set-up has provided me the schedule flexibility to hike other long-distance trails yet still put food on the table. There have been significant but temporary career sacrifices made in the process but the personal benefits gained have far outweighed them. No regrets whatsoever!

If a thru-hike is your passion, give a try. It may change your life! Can you say the same things about an additional 6 months tacked onto your career?

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Jane Doe
04-21-2005, 19:14
thanks for your reply. Out of curiousity, how long had you been in your career before you hike. And if you don't mind, how old were you when you hiked the trail. If I do it soon it won't be till probably 2007 so that I can get into shape and prepare my life for it.

stickman
04-21-2005, 19:45
I haven't done a thru - yet. But I can see this question from two sides because I decided at an earlier age to do something equivalent. I quit a decent job in my field as I approached 30 and hitched through Central and South America, getting to Peru in about 6 months and spending another 6 months there. It was a great learning and growing experience for me and I have no regrets whatsoever, even though when I came back I to explain it to my next employer.

On the other side of it, I'm now in mid 50's, with a much better job, a wife, a mortgage, a kid going to college next year, etc.. As much as I would like to thru hike, I realize that section hiking is the right choice for me, for now.

Both choices were right for me and I don't regret either one. With the benefit of hindsight, I am glad in did the trek to South America. It made me richer in every way but the one that counts least.

The bottom line? When your young, follow your heart. There will be plenty of years ahead when you can be practical.

Stickman

orangebug
04-21-2005, 20:01
It appears most folks will thru hike during a life transition. School, graduation, job loss, divorce, death, retirement and similar events are pretty common.

Personally, I plan to do a very long hike, about 1500 miles next year to complete my sections. I have plans to leave a professional practice in the hands of several friends and colleagues. I am prepared to move my practice given the number of headhunters calling me of late. My timing is related to divorce and recovery from illness. I prefer to hike now rather than risking my health and future in another 10 years.

I can work when I cannot walk. I can't hike then.

These are decisions for the individual to make, with the support and knowledge of family and friends.

Jane Doe
04-21-2005, 20:02
Thank you for your sage advise Stickman. I really appreciate it. I certainly do realize that if I want to do what I am doing for a career that it will be there later. So, right now I'm just weighing all my options. I wouldn't think of entering into something this serious without hearing all sides. I appreciate your words.

Jane Doe
04-21-2005, 20:05
It appears most folks will thru hike during a life transition. School, graduation, job loss, divorce, death, retirement and similar events are pretty common.

Personally, I plan to do a very long hike, about 1500 miles next year to complete my sections. I have plans to leave a professional practice in the hands of several friends and colleagues. I am prepared to move my practice given the number of headhunters calling me of late. My timing is related to divorce and recovery from illness. I prefer to hike now rather than risking my health and future in another 10 years.

I can work when I cannot walk. I can't hike then.

These are decisions for the individual to make, with the support and knowledge of family and friends.Thanks. Yeah, that's partially why I'm looking to see what others have done on here. By the way, I grew up in Georgia. You're lucky to live there.:)

jackiebolen
04-21-2005, 20:42
I think it's probably a lot easier on your body the younger you do it. Not to say that an 80 year old can't do it, it will just be a lot harder for them than it will be for an 18 year old. If you've got the time and money don't put it off. You may never get the chance again.

I did my hike after getting my BA at 23, working for a year to make money. I went to grad school when I was done.

BookBurner
04-22-2005, 08:18
I was 37 years old and had been practicing law for nine years. If you are 27 and I presume not a child prodigy, you've only been in your career a few years. Don't underestimate have resilient careers are, especially at their outset. Anyway, IMO, the key to success for the majority of careers is being the happiest, most well adjusted and interesting person you can be. Talent is secondary. If hiking the AT will help you become the former, you can't lose by giving it a shot!

-- BookBurner

Spirit Walker
04-22-2005, 09:29
I was 31 when I did my first thruhike. I have never had a 'career', just jobs - easy to get and easy to quit. I love travelling a lot more than I love working so I have set up my life so I work long enough to get money to go travel, then start all over again afterward. I will never have great financial security or career success, but I have enjoyed my life a lot. I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe I would have started earlier).

As others have said, most thruhikers are either at transition points in their lives (college, military, retirement, divorce) or they are in jobs/lives they aren't particularly happy with and leaving for a long hike provides the transition they need to make changes in their lives. Not everyone becomes a perennial hiker, but a lot of us find our lives and our selves changed in ways that make it hard to go back to our previous lives. That is good if you really didn't like what you had, but not so good if you did.

If you have a career that you really care about, quitting it to do a long hike could mean that you won't go back. I would stick to section hiking or just vacation hikes all over. If you don't really care about your career, then by all means, go adventuring.

Nean
04-22-2005, 10:41
I was 29 when I started out and like Spirit Walker had jobs (construction) that were easy to find and leave. Travel had always been a passion and backpacking seemed like a great way to travel more, work less. Next thing you know I'm hooked! I've been accused of being a career backpacker, which is considered a compliment, but really it's a lifestyle. That doesn't happen to everyone but for those it does I've never heard a regret. Blessed is how I feel. I think time on the trail would enhance not only you as a person, but also your career- and best of all- the rest of your life!

Footslogger
04-22-2005, 12:56
I did my thru in 2003 at the age of 53 (turned 54 on the trail). It had been a dream for years but I graduated from college, got married, started a family, went back to college ...yada, yada, yada. After some 30 years in the medical field I found myself divorced, kids grown and gone and still holding onto that dream. Long story short ...I set out to hike the trail in 2001 but out of nowhere came my soulmate and future wife (who also happened to be a hiker). She had decided to hike the AT in order to gather research data for her Phd. That seemed like a more noble cause so I deferred to her in 2001 and acted as "ground support" for her hike ...with one condition: that after she finished grad school and got settled it would be MY TURN. She lived up to her committment and in 2003 I set out from Springer to realize my dream.

In looking back I do wish that the thru-hike was something I had done while in my 20's. Ironically though, I don't think that would have totally satisfied my desires and I would have most likely still hiked the trail in 2003, as I did. I think someone already said this ...but when you're young you have much more freedom in following your dreams, at least in a more traditional sense. Then comes the more "serious" phase of life ...followed by the desire to "simplify" and beginning to enjoy life again. My thru in 2003 was very satisfying, despite the fact that I ended up doing it with serious kidney stones (diagnosed post hike). As a post script, I can tell you that the wife and I are planning another AT thru hike, most likely in 6- 8 years ...but this time together. This time though we're going to give ourselves around 7 months to finish and really take our time along the way.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jane Doe
04-22-2005, 13:42
Thanks to everyone. I still have much thinking, planning, and considering to do. But you have all helped me very much. Hopefully I'll be asking you all thru-hike specific questions in the future. Peace!:D

VAMTNHIKER
04-22-2005, 15:34
Jane,

Welcome to the site !

Jane Doe
04-22-2005, 17:07
Jane,

Welcome to the site !
Thanks. My name is actually Chris. I'm a guy too. hehe:banana

Doctari
04-22-2005, 18:22
I'm 50, been planning (dreaming) of thru hiking the AT since 1963. I shall forever wish I hiked it at your age, :datz but do not regret my other life decisions :jump

The saying goes: "the trail will still be there" is true, but I find it much harder to hike with 50 year old knees (and attached body parts) than when I was 27. Plus: I weighed 130 Lbs back then, am 200 now, sigh.

If you can (as you indicated you can) go now! If I had the chance, I could / would leave in less than a week.

Doctari.

:dance

Panzer1
04-22-2005, 18:47
27 is a good age for a thru hike, not too young, not too old. Go for it.
If you wait any longer you will end up married with children and then you will have to wait till the children are grown.

Hike while you can. Its only April 22, why don't you head on out now.

Panzer

Jane Doe
04-22-2005, 19:56
Hehe, Panzer1, I definitely need to time get in shape and can't just walk away from my job right now. Plus I live in Los Angeles. hehe

But I know what you mean.

bronzie5
04-22-2005, 20:17
I quit a sales job at the beginning of January and came back to school and moved in with my girlfriend. I am in the school of journalism right now and am 28. I am starting to have seconds thoughts on the career choice and now me and the girlfriend are splitsville, never rush anything is the lesson I have learned.

I am planning a thru-hike starting in mid Feb. and I cannot wait. I am best man in a wedding in Sept 2006 so i will have to be back by then. I just can't imagine spending six months, hiking!!! You will never have more peace and reflection in your life. "JUST DO IT" is the old NIKE saying so just do it.

I will start to get into shape, but remember the trail can also put you into shape even though some will not agree with me.

Do the trail NOW or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

bronzie5

fiddlehead
04-22-2005, 21:39
I was 28 when i attempted my 1st thru-hike and didn't make it because i ran out of money. (back then in 1977 they didn't have credit cards and i tried to do it with my girlfriend on $700. We made it from Springer to Delaware Water Gap, PA)
I think you'll find that if you go ahead and hike, you'll find that your life changes drastically. I did (successfully) my first thru-hike 17 years ago and since then have done 6 more, travelled to 43 countries (by last count) and am presently living in my favorite one (Thailand)
If i had never discovered long distance hiking (equates to long distance travel somtimes) I often wonder what my life would be like now. Let's see. 2 (new) cars, a dog, an addition on the house, maybe a vacation in Cazumel this coming year?, (2 weeks) maybe a new riding mower for my birthday???, maybe one of those big diesel pickup trucks like all my past peer contractor buddies now have along with their pot bellys and Go-Bush Let's rule the world attitudes.
Which one would i rather have? The friends i've met on the trail or traveling 3rd world countries, or those folks back home arguing whether we should nuke Iraq. 5 of those friends (hiking) came to visit me in Thailand in the past year and none of my back home buddies have. They want to but are too scared to be seen as Americans outside of the country. So they are content with their golf game every week and their favorite watering hole on the weekend. So who is living and who is not?

Anyway, it doesn't matter how old you are. When you are mentally ready, (don't worry so much about physically ready, it's "more head than heel" as Grandma Gatewood said. Go out and Do IT! Your life will never be the same.

MedicineMan
04-22-2005, 22:51
well written and an excellent determination of choice, but in the end the machine America must keep machining, its manifest destiny, and the machine needs those diesel pickup beer bellied contractors.

Heater
04-23-2005, 06:39
This time though we're going to give ourselves around 7 months to finish and really take our time along the way.

'Slogger
AT 2003
How long did you take in 2003 at age 53/54?

BookBurner
04-23-2005, 09:07
A thru-hike is either going to provide a life-altering experience or you are going to be back home in a few weeks. If someone does not find the experience to be incredibly moving, they don't stick it out for very long. So are you willing to risk one month of your life for the possibility of changing the rest of it forever?

-- BookBurner

Footslogger
04-23-2005, 09:37
How long did you take in 2003 at age 53/54?==============================================
6 months and 10 days ...but I could have gone faster if I had felt better. I was plagued with abdominal pain throughout my hike which I ignored because I wanted to see it through. That really slowed me down at times and limited the number of miles I could do in a day.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lobo
04-23-2005, 12:12
I started backpacking sections of the AT in 1973 and had the seed planted for a future thru-hike after reading about Grandma Gatewood & Earl Shaffer. By the year 2000 my kids were out on their own, I was retired, and had the time and money to hike my hike. I started on my 53rd birthday, February 27, and finished in Maine 5 months later, averaging 15 miles per day. During my trip I had problems with tendonitis in my left foot and tendonitis in my right shin. I also had, unknown to me, bone chips floating around in my right ankle that would without warning slide in between my ankle bones and cause a sharp pain that would knock me to the ground. The most difficult part of my hike was getting back into the mental hiking mood after leaving the Trail for 3 days at Mother's Day to visit my wife, kids, and my first grandson who was born while I was hiking. I can understand how folks that are in excellent physical condition leave the Trail because of mental baggage that clouds the focus of their hike.

Rift Zone
04-23-2005, 12:24
If i had never discovered long distance hiking... Way to go Fiddlehead.

Hi Chris [Doh:rolleyes:],

I'm looking at AT '06. (actually Eastern Continental Trail 2006)

We're a rare age range to thru-hike... Upper 20's, lower 30's. So what?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Corporate Ameirca? -no habit of mine.