PDA

View Full Version : Denatured alcohol in the Whites

pkinnetz
07-08-2012, 13:57
I have been trying to track down where I can resupply my cooking alcohol (not canisters) in the White Mts. I will be flying in and will be empty, but am pretty sure I can supply at Glencliff at the HikersWelcome Hostel. Its definitely not available at the Crawford Notch Visitor Ctr (although cannisters are)-- I just called. I also found out that its at the Pinkham Notch Ctr. but I probably will need a resupply before then, preferably before Crawford Notch (going NO).

I tend to use quite a bit, more than the usual hiker, probably around 2 oz per day. Otherwise I'd just load up at the beginning and truck on through. Plus I plan on taking it very slow, meaning more days of cooking. I don't want to carry more than I have to, so frequent resupply is the perfect plan if possible. Any help would be welcome.
Thanks,

jakedatc
07-08-2012, 15:28
most gas stations will carry HEET. (yellow bottle)

pkinnetz
07-08-2012, 18:37
Is Heet okay to mail? Or is it one of those forbidden things? Is there a gas station nearby, off one of the roads? I know the woman said that she knew of one about 10 mi from Crawfored Notch, but that seemed a bit far for me.

cabbagehead
07-08-2012, 23:20
If you are at a NH gas station and you find Heet and isopropanol gas-line antifreeze (such as Iso-Heet in the red bottle), choose the isopropanol. It will be sooty, but you will get more heat out of less alcohol.

Wil
07-08-2012, 23:42
If you are at a NH gas station and you find Heet and isopropanol gas-line antifreeze (such as Iso-Heet in the red bottle), choose the isopropanol version. It will be sooty, but you will get more heat out of less alcohol.If anyone here speaks cabbage, could you translate please?

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 00:11
he is a rare proponent of using Red heet vs Yellow heet. i think BPL had a test of a lot of different alcohol types but you can search for it.