PDA

View Full Version : MSN Huba Huba Tent Fly - Problem

suzisart
07-08-2012, 14:27
We've had our Huba Huba 2 person tent for about 5 years and totally love it. It's the fastest, easiest, lightest tent we've ever packed. We just came back from the Roan Mountain TN section hike, however and found our tent fly was really sticky. Upon examination, there's a waxy crust on the inside of the fly that appears to be coming off. It also made the frame sticky.

Since the weather was idyllic, we didn't use the fly. I haven't located an MSN website, only mentions in forums. Anyone have a fly they want to trade/sell?

Initally, I thought I would wash the fly but worry about the wisdom of that strategy and also about my washing machine! Thoughts?

leaftye
07-08-2012, 14:38
R, not N. MSR.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/category

Time to buy a new tent.

G.G.
07-08-2012, 15:13
Try soaking the "contaminated" pieces in the tub.

rmitchell
07-08-2012, 17:18
I had a similar problem with my Hubba. After pitching it with the fly inside out, I wiped it down twice with a spong soaked with Nikwax. Then I resealed the seams with silnet. It is no longer sticky to the touch and did not leak in a moderate rain. I have not had opportunity to try it in a heavy downpour.

Another hiker told me he had problems with the fly on his Hubba and the manufacturer replaced it.

BigRing
07-08-2012, 17:58
I have a Hubba one and really like it. I would check the MSR website for any information which may address the problem.....if not call their customer support.

rpcv
07-09-2012, 16:47
I second the suggestion to email or call MSR. They have great customer service. We had a similar problem with our Hubba Hubba and they wound up replacing the fly.

BigRing
07-09-2012, 20:17
.....and let us know what happens. Did MSR fix it for you?

FamilyGuy
07-10-2012, 01:35
This is a known issue with older Hubbas. MSR will likely replace the fly for you free of charge. Watch your floor closely as well. Same issue.

elray
07-10-2012, 06:45
I had this exact problem last year with my Hubba Hubba and Cascade Designs replaced the fly free of charge. Contact them for a return/case number. My leaky fly was the original orange color and the replacement will likely be the newer darker green. Mine has already been out a couple weeks and has performed perfectly in the rain. It must have been a batch of defective fabric because not every HH owner has had this problem as far as i can tell. Good luck!

BradMT
08-04-2012, 08:01
Not saying this is the case with those here, but often times the "stickiness" is associated with improper storage... ie., keeping the tent wadded up in its nylons stuff sack rather than loosely stored, dry, in a large cotton sack.

How are those with this issue storing theirs?