PDA

View Full Version : Best Foods?

Benjammin
07-08-2012, 15:38
I've heard HoneyBuns and Noodle packs.

I'm gonna try to pitch a tent for the majority of the Trail and need the easiest foods to cart around with me.

I was thinking about just bringing a bag of rice, ramen noodles, nuts, granola, and cliff bars.

Think I'll need anything else?

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 15:42
That's all the food you will need for the south bound thru hike that you are starting in September.

Rocket Jones
07-08-2012, 15:53
Like real life, the more variety in your diet the better it is for you. You don't mention how long you're going to hike. What I bring differs if I'm out for a weekend vs. a week or more. If that's your diet, you're going to need a daily multivitamin to stay reasonably healthy, not to mention some source of protein. Also, rice takes a long time to cook so you'll have to carry extra fuel for your stove. A better option are Knorr sides - noodles, rice, etc that you can add a pouch of chicken or tuna.

Check out trailcooking.com for a different way of looking at hiking food.

10-K
07-08-2012, 16:07
I am just going to say it....

If you're planning a SOBO thru from Kathadin in September and you're not even sure what kind of food you're taking I think you need to reconsider your start date.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 16:09
I am just going to say it....

If you're planning a SOBO thru from Kathadin in September and you're not even sure what kind of food you're taking I think you need to reconsider your start date.

You forgot the :D

10-K
07-08-2012, 16:13
You forgot the :D

Dangit... :)

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 20:27
There are a lot of rants and good info using the search for Junk Food as the best method of thru hiking and not getting tiered.

MuddyWaters
07-08-2012, 20:41
yes, you will need more

leaftye
07-08-2012, 20:51
I'm gonna try to pitch a tent for the majority of the Trail and need the easiest foods to cart around with me.

I don't see what these have to do with each other.

I was thinking about just bringing a bag of rice, ramen noodles, nuts, granola, and cliff bars.

Do you KNOW that you can eat over 4000 calories a day of this?

theinfamousj
07-08-2012, 21:53
Also, rice takes a long time to cook so you'll have to carry extra fuel for your stove.

If you cook the rice at home and then dehydrate it, I've heard tell that it is easier to rehydrate without wasting as much fuel. I have not tried this, myself.

One thing I do when cooking rice when I'm away from my beloved rice cooker is to bring the water to a boil, add my rice, boil for 5 minutes, and then cut the heat and leave it alone for 40 minutes. Comes out perfectly every time. I learned this method from an internet posting that claims to have learned it from a chef.

10-K
07-08-2012, 22:23
I've been playing with instant rice and white rice gets edible-tender much quicker than brown rice in unheated water.

Cold rice isn't half bad.... (I keep telling myself.........)

Rasty
07-09-2012, 00:20
Also, rice takes a long time to cook so you'll have to carry extra fuel for your stove.

If you cook the rice at home and then dehydrate it, I've heard tell that it is easier to rehydrate without wasting as much fuel. I have not tried this, myself.

One thing I do when cooking rice when I'm away from my beloved rice cooker is to bring the water to a boil, add my rice, boil for 5 minutes, and then cut the heat and leave it alone for 40 minutes. Comes out perfectly every time. I learned this method from an internet posting that claims to have learned it from a chef.

Works with long grain par boiled rice. Doesn't work with Asian rice which you rinse with cold water, then cook from cold.

Bronk
07-09-2012, 06:26
To keep it simple I would forget all the other stuff and just take a 10 lb bag of rice. You can forage for seeds and berries and even do a little hunting to supplement that. I know a guy who survived for two months on the beach in Mexico with just a bag of rice.

RodentWhisperer
07-09-2012, 09:44
Quoting John Muir: "I rolled up some bread and tea in a pair of blankets with some sugar and a tin cup and set off." :-)

Srsly, now. I'm no expert, but I think there's some logic in consuming a well-rounded mix of calories from carbs, proteins and fats when you're out on the trail. Hiking a long distance, with a weighty pack, is "endurance exercise," probably done at a moderate heart rate; unless you're breathing so hard that you can't speak, your body is likely to be relying upon fats for energy. Simple carbs (e.g., Honeybuns) would only be good choices if you'd be exerting your heart more strenuously (say, by running). Making sure your blood sugar is stabilized, and giving your body the energy it needs-- those are the keys, IMO.

Over the course of a day, it makes sense to eat in an order: start the day with complex carbs (whole grains, beans, legumes); on the trail's hike, eat more good fats (nuts, unsweetened coconut, avocado) and a hint of protein; at day's end (when you need to help your muscles recover), eat more proteins (meats and fish).

10-K
07-09-2012, 09:49
To keep it simple I would forget all the other stuff and just take a 10 lb bag of rice. You can forage for seeds and berries and even do a little hunting to supplement that. I know a guy who survived for two months on the beach in Mexico with just a bag of rice.

That's funny right there....

sarbar
07-09-2012, 16:11
The only food that matters is the food you can actually eat day in and day out.

Spokes
07-09-2012, 16:15
Rice?

Constantly trying to reduce pack weight, I did come to enjoy Rice Krispy Treats on my thru hike.

Darn things are so light and tasty too!

SCRUB HIKER
07-09-2012, 16:17

I've heard it doesn't work as well once you get up north, though.

redfox1939
07-30-2012, 10:20
ABove all that.you can also pack the following food :
tuna and crackers
hard cheese
peanut butter
candy bars
fresh fruit

Cathedral Rock (http://thehikehouse.com/trails/cathedral-rock-from-oak-creek)

Drybones
07-30-2012, 15:32
After a couple of weeks you'll find your body wanting something more than lighweight foods. Summer sausage and hard cheese were my favorites. Protein packed foods are heavy but you'll need them for the long haul...lesson learned the hard way.

RED-DOG
08-02-2012, 10:49
I useally ate the same foods no matter if i was in my tent or shelter or where ever, Try Pasta sides, mashed potatoes, summer sausage, cheese, pop-tarts, just to name a few. but yeah if you don't know what your diet is gonna be maybe you should reconsider your start date. RED-DOG

Odd Man Out
08-02-2012, 18:24
Be careful with your terms. When people talk about "heavy" or "light" food, they sometimes don't focus on what is important. What really matters is calorie density or how many calories per gram there are. What backpackers really want is the most number of calories (energy) for the weight carried. Volume density can also be important in that you may also want your calories to fit in the space you have available. Pure vegetable oil has the highest calorie density possible so it is the "lightest" food at about 880 Cal/100 g. You could compare your food to this benchmark to see how light you food really is. I've been surprised to hear a lot of people talk about not taking peanut butter because it is so "heavy", but it has a calorie density of 590 Cal/100 g which is pretty close to oil considering it has a nice balance of fat, carbs, and protein. Rice Krispie Squares are relatively "heavy" at just 414 Calories per 100 g.

Or to put it another way, if you want 1000 Cal of energy, you will need to carry 240 grams of Rice Krispie Treats but only 170 grams of peanut butter or 110 grams of oil.