PDA

View Full Version : Anybody done Wayah blad to NOC lately? Water report?

Lyte-w8-hyker
07-08-2012, 16:31
Has anybody hiked Wayah bald to NOC recently? I'm planning a trip in early august, I was thinking the smokies NFG to davenport, but they just had that crazy storm. Not sure if the trail will be in good shape by the time I get there. I have some newbs with me and looking to show them a good time, not how to climb over a million blow downs.

Some one on here suggested wayah bald to NOC. I have the map and guide book. Is this section terribly difficult? Is there water flowing this time of year? Also does NOC offer shuttles? Or does anyone else have shuttle reccomendations for the area? Any info would be great I've never been to the area.

Thanks,
Doug

Prada
07-08-2012, 17:04
Just did this section last week. Not hard at all in my opinion. The part down into NOC from "The Jump Up Lookout" was a little slow going because some sections are pretty steep... but my motto always is If I can do it so can you.

I was on top of Cheoah Bald (past the NOC) during the storm...that was pretty scary. Didn't encounter too much mess on the trail but I was already through that section by that time.

As far as water, going North in this section:
1. Wayah Shelter, nice piped stream .2 from shelter. Was flowing nicely.
2. Cold Spring Shelter: flowing nicely. (would fill up here for sure)
3. Spring (near Rocky Bald Lookout) couldn't locate. Another hiker said they found it and it was all but dried up.
4. Spring (mile 125.7) .1 miles before Wesser Bald Shelter is a cistern, was SUPER COLD AND FLOWING GREAT!!! (just don't stir up the floaties in the bottom) Fill up here and carry it to the shelter. You won't want to have to come back up-hill to get water once you get settled at shelter, lol.
5. A. Rufus Morgan Shelter (sign is down) but nice stream will be on the left side of trail, flowing well.

Coming down into the NOC will be like heaven, I LOVED soaking my tired feet in the cold water, sitting on a rock on the river's edge with an adult beverage! Water seemed to be less plentiful, I did carry a little more than usual. Just ALWAYS fill up when you pass a source and you should be ok. The BUGS are really bad out there right now though. Probably won't be much different by Aug.

Lyte-w8-hyker
07-08-2012, 18:06
thanks for the info, greatly appreciated