PDA

View Full Version : What ever became of Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce?

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 17:47
Where in the world is Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce? have one of his old guide books and really don't know much about him. While not new to the AT, pretty new to the Trails families and individuals that maintain, walk, write about, and have even died trying.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 17:53
He has changed his focus to scholarly research of the bible, you can find him writing papers and giving talks on that.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 17:55
He has changed his focus to scholarly research of the bible, you can find him writing papers and giving talks on that.Ok,that somewhat clears that up, did he run a website at one point?

Mango
07-08-2012, 17:55
The word several years ago was that he had to stop keeping his Guidebook up-to-date to take care of elderly parent(s). I believe he sold the rights to ____ ? 501 maybe?

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 17:57
His blog
http://www.danbruce.org/wordpress/?page_id=165

Mrs Baggins
07-08-2012, 18:06
I talked to trail maintainer in June who happened to know Wingfoot. He told me "Well, last I saw him he was bundled up on a bench and....... I won't say anymore other than he was bundled up on a bench." Sounded pretty dire to me.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 18:10
I talked to trail maintainer in June who happened to know Wingfoot. He told me "Well, last I saw him he was bundled up on a bench and....... I won't say anymore other than he was bundled up on a bench." Sounded pretty dire to me.Wow, that really is to bad, hope that's not the case, for anyone!

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 18:16
did he run a website at one point?

He started Trailplace, and then he got to controlling and banning people, and then others started a different site and then they all got banned from that site.

:banana

kayak karl
07-08-2012, 18:18
he seems to be ok. from the web sire posted above

Read my latest books online (http://www.prophecysociety.org/wordpress/?p=435)
Posted by Dan Bruce on June 19, 2012
Announcements (http://www.prophecysociety.org/wordpress/?cat=25) / No Comments (http://www.prophecysociety.org/wordpress/?p=435#respond)
The complete texts of my two latest books are now available online for your study. You can access them by clicking on the cover photo for each book shown on the home page of this website, or by clicking on the links below:
Sacred Chronology of the Hebrew Kings (http://www.prophecysociety.org/books/SC2012/SC-frontcover.html)
Lifting the Veil on the Book of Daniel (http://www.prophecysociety.org/books/LV2012/LV-frontcover.html)

10-K
07-08-2012, 18:24
His blog
http://www.danbruce.org/wordpress/?page_id=165

Interesting.....

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 18:24
Thanks everyone, I'd been wondering this for a while and finally after reading Pilots post ,it reminded me that I didn't know anything about the him, and I've never heard of him posting here, he just seemed to fall off the grid.Again thinks.

SunnyWalker
07-08-2012, 18:57
Whats this "bundled up on a bench" suppose to mean? that's pretty strong words on another's rep and it is some trail maintainer opinion? I'm sorry Ms. Baggins but I don't think that was very kind. Wingfoot has done a lot to promote backpacking and the AT and etc. Plus he's a friend to WB and hikers, we owe him a little better loyalty than that.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 19:04
Whats this "bundled up on a bench" suppose to mean? that's pretty strong words on another's rep and it is some trail maintainer opinion? I'm sorry Ms. Baggins but I don't think that was very kind. Wingfoot has done a lot to promote backpacking and the AT and etc. Plus he's a friend to WB and hikers, we owe him a little better loyalty than that.Sunny Walker,I don't believe Mrs. B met anything malicious , at all, just conveying a story told to her, if in fact the situation is dire, I'd like to think those that know him would lend a hand, or maybe chime-in to dispel any rumors.

Sly
07-08-2012, 19:07
Whats this "bundled up on a bench" suppose to mean? that's pretty strong words on another's rep and it is some trail maintainer opinion? I'm sorry Ms. Baggins but I don't think that was very kind. Wingfoot has done a lot to promote backpacking and the AT and etc. Plus he's a friend to WB and hikers, we owe him a little better loyalty than that.

Have to agree. I suppose I've been guilty of malicious hearsay from time to time but I can't recall the last time. If anything it speaks more of Mrs Baggins than it does Dan.

Sly
07-08-2012, 19:14
On a personal note it looks like he's gone bonkers! :p

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 19:21
Have to agree. I suppose I've been guilty of malicious hearsay from time to time but I can't recall the last time. If anything it speaks more of Mrs Baggins than it does Dan.

I don't know Mrs Baggins, but I really doubt she meant this in a negative vein. I think she was simply reporting what she had heard.

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 19:23
He started Trailplace, and then he got to controlling and banning people, and then others started a different site and then they all got banned from that site.

:banana\\Wow there's some history there...

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 19:40
On a personal note it looks like he's gone bonkers! :p

They always are right before or after they find religion.

:p

Lone Wolf
07-08-2012, 19:58
i've known him since 1986

Sly
07-08-2012, 19:59
I don't know Mrs Baggins, but I really doubt she meant this in a negative vein. I think she was simply reporting what she had heard.

I don't doubt you doubt, but we really don't know, do we? If would be one thing if she passed on second hand info saying he was doing great, but that's not the case. Without knowing the facts, she basically said he was a homeless bum.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 20:03
I don't pay much attention to birthdays, but of the handful that I will always remember one was spent at his home in Hot Springs.

Strange how some things just stay with you.

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 20:05
I've known him since 1986Yep,I've never heard anyone speak about him, and honestly, I thought maybe he passed on, but didn't want to start a thread asking that question.It just sounds , as one post suggests, he's just into other things.Over time I've have all but abandoned certain hobbies, projects, for one reason or another.Wish him well, he sure seems to have done a lot for the trail.

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 20:07
You and I both know that it isn't good to put all that out there - I got thru three pages of that rant... -now I am stuck can't --type...Nevermind.

Sly
07-08-2012, 20:08
i've known him since 1986

Here's one of Wingfoot (l) at the Doyle about that time.

and the journal that went with it.

http://www.blistersdicegame.com/trail24.htm

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 20:13
I don't doubt you doubt, but we really don't know, do we? If would be one thing if she passed on second hand info saying he was doing great, but that's not the case. Without knowing the facts, she basically said he was a homeless bum.

On a personal note it looks like he's gone bonkers! :pSly, I don't get it, Mrs. B didn't say or insinueate that all,I mean really, I'm just not feeling that.And your calling him Bonkers with your tongue stuck out, what gives here dude? I'm getting mixed signals from you,please explain yourself.

WIAPilot
07-08-2012, 20:19

And then you turn around and say he sounds bonkers with a smiley face??? You sound a heck of a lot more judgmental than Mrs Baggins.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2012, 20:40
Wingfoot has done a lot to promote backpacking and the AT and etc. Plus he's a friend to WB and hikers, we owe him a little better loyalty than that.

he's never been a friend to, or a member of this site

rocketsocks
07-08-2012, 20:53
Alright my question has been answered, thanks everyone...thread closed

woodsy
07-08-2012, 20:56
I wouldn't pay much attention to Baggins, shes trollin , again !

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 21:42
Ouch she is passionate and her heart is in the right place.... its the internet and I have been frequently been misunderstood - and I read her posts its the same!...folks lets move on, I saw that and there was a time when hikers on the AT slept on porches and did things differently... what do some say here-Hiker Trash... yea I hung out with Rotten Rodney and you could not wish for a more humorous hobo.

kayak karl
07-08-2012, 22:18
i took it like he was living a monk type of life ?

Mags
07-08-2012, 22:47
Per the OP's request, the thread is closed...