PDA

View Full Version : Hiking vs cycling?

Hawker
07-08-2012, 18:56
Hello, ive been lurking for a while and wanted to say hi. Im an older guy (62) but in good shape. Typically i ride my road bike 60-75 miles per week at a 15mpg average pace. Last week my wife and i hiked from Mtn crossings to the top of blood mtn and back down. Frankey, i was a bit astonished at how out of breath I was several times on the way up. Apparently my good cycling shape isnt translating that well into hiking conditioning? Or perhaps its just getting older that is catching me off guard? Any thoughts on how conditiong for one activity compares with the other? Thanks much!

scree
07-08-2012, 19:16
It's why cross-training is beneficial - You're working different muscle groups in different ways in the two activities. Your cardio conditioning may be pretty good, but you don't hike hunched over imaginary handlebars nor do you cycle by shuffling along. While both cycling and hiking work the entire body to some extent, neither are comprehensive and balanced conditioning activities... therefore ability in one doesn't translate into ability in the other. I'm not a doctor but I don't think you're too old for P90X or Insanity - both workouts will get your entire body in balance and you'll see benefits in both hiking and cycling. I cycle through both programs regularly and while it still takes some adjustment, it's not that bad transitioning between extended kayaking to hiking activities.

coach lou
07-08-2012, 19:29
Hello, ive been lurking for a while and wanted to say hi. Im an older guy (62) but in good shape. Typically i ride my road bike 60-75 miles per week at a 15mpg average pace. Last week my wife and i hiked from Mtn crossings to the top of blood mtn and back down. Frankey, i was a bit astonished at how out of breath I was several times on the way up. Apparently my good cycling shape isnt translating that well into hiking conditioning? Or perhaps its just getting older that is catching me off guard? Any thoughts on how conditiong for one activity compares with the other? Thanks much!

I do both. I'm going to Maine in August, so I've stepped it up abit. i've been doing 5-10 mile sprints during the work week, this past few weeks heat has kept me from increasing distances. I have also alternated weekends, 20-25 mile runs Sat/ Sun, the next weekend 20-25 walks. I find that I can roll along at smoother clips this spring and summer, where as in the winter I was just skating 1hr- 2hrs at a time. The climbing on the other hand, I never push, I try to stay a steady pace, but I find that I recover quickly and can start to roll along sooner. I've always believed the biking helps the blood & air pump so I can keep a good pace throughout the entire day walking.

Wise Old Owl
07-08-2012, 19:33
I do both - different sets of muscles come into play - but a rail to trail is aweful to hike - best seen on a bike. Mountain bikes are too heavy and a cross between a racing style and stiff frame is awesome. PA is loaded with great rail to trail.

coach lou
07-08-2012, 19:39
I do both - different sets of muscles come into play - but a rail to trail is aweful to hike - best seen on a bike. Mountain bikes are too heavy and a cross between a racing style and stiff frame is awesome. PA is loaded with great rail to trail.
WOO, I have one Mtn. bike that is specificly for the Pa. Rail trails. Most are along some really nice fishin' rivers! It gets dumped in the weeds and I fish all day, come back, ride back to camp. I love Penns Wood!

Cookerhiker
07-08-2012, 20:17
I do both also. My bike is a hybrid. I've done several overnight bicycle camping trips on the Great Allegheny Passage, C&O Canal (3 times of which 2 were the entire 185 miles), Greenbriar River Trail in WV, and New River Trail in VA. IMO cycling with a fully loaded bike is more challenging and straining than backpacking but I'm aware that others who disagree. Stumpknocker has thruhiked the AT many times plus other long distance trails. He's also cycled cross country and back at least twice that I know of. I asked him directly which activity was harder and without hesitation, he said backpacking.

Anyway as far as conditioning, when I lived in Western MD within 1/4 mile of the Great Allegheny Passage, my major indeed sole workout in summer '08 consisted of cycling a 6 mile stretch from Frostburg to the Big Savage Tunnel every day. It was 100% uphill and provided a fabulous workout. Sometimes I cycled on to the next trail town and a few times I did the uphill pull from Cumberland to Frostburg - 16 miles all uphill gaining 1,200'. So in the Fall, I accompanied a friend on a section hike in the White Mountains and I did great with the uphills thanks to the conditioning from the cycling.

Hawker, how much of your 60-75 road bike miles is hilly? How much uphill at a clip do you do? If your uphills are short and you're powered halfway up by the momentum from the downhill part, perhaps you're not getting sufficient aerobic exercise.

jakedatc
07-08-2012, 23:57
Yep, more hill work. I ride in the 17-18 avg and if I am not doing a lot of hills then my HR will get far higher hiking than when biking. It definitely does help... i hike uphill faster than if i wasnt biking at all. for a good training.. i'd find a hill that is 1-2mi long at 6-8% avg and keep doing it. that type of thing is what gets your HR up. mix it up between standing and seated.

Pedaling Fool
07-09-2012, 07:40
In the interest of showing no bias I've been cycling for over 25 years, primarily as a commuter, but also a few loaded tours. However, I believe (in general) hiking is more difficult, simply because it involves more muscles in the upper body (primarily stabilizing muscles). However, just the simple task of going up hill, I'd say cycling is tougher, but thanks to granny gears that hardship is greatly reduced.

But in the end it doesn't really matter to me, because I'm a believer in training in various activities for all around health. I believe if one only performs one activity that will only lead to certain body parts "built up" and other parts to become weaker overtime and enventually lead to problems later in life. There is no ONE perfect activity for overall body health, but I do see strength training (with free weights -- machines are a waste of time) as my "base".

Running is also a very good activity and is a must in maintaining a strong body, IMHO. Some say running's impact on the knees keep them from running, however, I believe they are doing it wrong. I also suspect that there is far more impact from hiking downhill (even with poles) than running (correct running). I also believe people automatically associate knee pain with impact, but in all my miles of running, hiking and cycling I've had knee pain in all activites, but, by far, my worse knee pain was while cycling. Thanks to a 300-mile trip through the mountains on a fully loaded bike and probably not using my gears as I should have.

jburgasser
07-09-2012, 07:51
Any thoughts on how conditiong for one activity compares with the other?

You know, Hawker, the problem with cycling is that it is not a weight bearing exercise. Whereas running, walking, and hiking are all weight bearing exercises. That is one of the reasons we can cycle so much longer that we can run, or walk. The good thing about cycling is that it does get the heart rate up, and since we are sitting, we can keep that heart rate up for a much longer period of time compared to the weight bearing exercises. So cycling may actually be more beneficial for pure cardiovascular fitness since we can go an hour or 2 on the bike after only a week or 2 of riding. But runners can only get up to consistent hour long runs (daily) after several months or even after a whole year or 2 of consistent training. And some folks who run never get up to running for an hour at a time.

Ickybod

Hawker
07-10-2012, 13:56
Thanks guys, you've been helpful. As some of you have said, I think it does have something to do with cycling not being a weight bearing exercise (why a one our hilly hike seems harder than a one hour bike ride) and the fact that my hilly bike rides are really mostly rolling hills. I think I need to get my heart rate up while riding to make that next trip up Blood Mountain a bit easier. :) And I think P90X might not be bad...but not until the weather gets a bit colder. Will the weather ever get colder? 8-0

Thanks again.

Rick Hancock
07-10-2012, 14:44
I've hiked/backpacked for years and have been riding Rails To Trails and other off road routes for over 10 years. I can say without a doubt that hiking is a much tougher workout. Good example: I normally bike at least 200/300 miles a week over the winter months and increase to 500 plus spring, summer, fall. If I'm not riding 40/50 miles at a time it's just not a good enough workout for me. Hiking with a pack with bad knees 10/12 miles is a good day. Certain trails like the C&O are more fun on a bike (that long straight path never ends!) I've done at least 7 multi day rides on the Greenbrier River Trail there are free camping options along the route as well as a few B&B's. The Allegheny Passage/C&O are outstanding rides there are fewer camping options along the Passage while the C&O have camp sites every 7 miles or so. I haven't done a thru ride on the Passage yet as I'm waiting for the last mile or so to be completed but it's one of the best rides for history and scenery. I tend to do a crossfit type workout rowing, pylo, kettlebells, Mt. biking, and backpacking. I'm 57 so I'm not too far behind you.

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 14:58
, but, by far, my worse knee pain was while cycling. Thanks to a 300-mile trip through the mountains on a fully loaded bike and probably not using my gears as I should have.

you can't blame the activity for pain when you are doing it wrong... if you are having knee pain while on the bike normally you need to get your bike fit checked.

the physics and physiology make running and hiking have far more impact than biking. your menisci have to eat every step you take while running and hiking with a loaded pack. your colateral ligaments also have to hold everything tight when you wobble side to side and your muscles have to do their normal work and stabilize for uneven ground.

I would argue that biking has a more upper body component most of the time than hiking except for steep uphills/downhills when you are scrambling and using poles. your upper body and core have to stabilize your bars on the bike the full ride. when on flat hiking your arms swing along for the ride.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2012, 17:22
you can't blame the activity for pain when you are doing it wrong... if you are having knee pain while on the bike normally you need to get your bike fit checked.

the physics and physiology make running and hiking have far more impact than biking. your menisci have to eat every step you take while running and hiking with a loaded pack. your colateral ligaments also have to hold everything tight when you wobble side to side and your muscles have to do their normal work and stabilize for uneven ground.If you read my post I was making the point that there is no impact in cycling. My point is that people automatically attribute knee pain to "impact", but I'm very skeptical of that. I think most knee pain is from overworked muscles and connective tissue without all-around proper conditioning. My bike fit is just fine, I just over did it. I wasn't blaming cycling, more my conditioning and if you notice I admitted to not properly using my gears, due to male pride/testosterone.

scree
07-10-2012, 17:35
Biking has a bit of upper body conditioning but not much. If your arms get tired biking it's probably a sign you need to hit the weights a bit. Both activities will lead to T-Rex Syndrome unless you supplement with strength training... or unless you're going for a svelte look. I'm not a big of cycling as a sport because I don't like working on or adjusting bikes, but a lot of folks seem to like it. Kayaking, there's not much to break, other than yourself.

coach lou
07-10-2012, 17:41
Biking has a bit of upper body conditioning but not much. If your arms get tired biking it's probably a sign you need to hit the weights a bit. Both activities will lead to T-Rex Syndrome unless you supplement with strength training... or unless you're going for a svelte look. I'm not a big of cycling as a sport because I don't like working on or adjusting bikes, but a lot of folks seem to like it. Kayaking, there's not much to break, other than yourself.

Years ago, the X would tell me that I had to do something about all that leg and Butt and no more arms and chest!
Hey John Gault, clear some space.... I'm trying to PM you.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2012, 17:54
Hey John Gault, clear some space.... I'm trying to PM you.Maybe later, I gotta go now and read some news, who knows, maybe there's some update on global warming stories:D

How about that wingedmonkey ;)

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 18:03

Rock climbing is my main sport so i have some semblance of an upper body. but i was built to be aerodynamic and power:weight ratio so i still look like a Shleck. I just said that cycling has as much upper body work as hiking does. i pull on the bars pretty hard on steep uphills similar to using my poles/hands for steep uphills and downhills.

coach lou
07-10-2012, 18:08
Rock climbing is my main sport so i have some semblance of an upper body. but i was built to be aerodynamic and power:weight ratio so i still look like a Shleck. I just said that cycling has as much upper body work as hiking does. i pull on the bars pretty hard on steep uphills similar to using my poles/hands for steep uphills and downhills.

As a young pup in my 20s I climbed, all over Ragged and the Gunks, I took a few lessons. I was told that women are better climbers and Yakkers because we men try to muscle our way up walls and down rivers, and women use finesse and proper technique.

tridavis
07-10-2012, 18:08
As a semi retired competitive cyclist/triathlete I can tell you that cycling does help with hiking, but I think hiking helps cycling more than vice versa. Due to a nagging muscle tear in my shoulder, I have not been riding much, but hiking (mostly with a pack) 3-4 days per week. On Saturdays, I usually do a 3-4 hour hike w/ pack and then 3 or so 1+ hour hikes during the week. We did a 9 day 103 mile trip from Davenport to Erwin in May, and 3 weeks after that I did a fast group ride (first ride in 3 weeks) and I was able to hang right in there.......they averaged a little over 21mph for 42 miles. I know from past experience if I don't ride enough I am toast on these rides, but the 9 day trip really made me a stronger cyclist.

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2012, 18:26
You know, Hawker, the problem with cycling is that it is not a weight bearing exercise. Whereas running, walking, and hiking are all weight bearing exercises. That is one of the reasons we can cycle so much longer that we can run, or walk. The good thing about cycling is that it does get the heart rate up, and since we are sitting, we can keep that heart rate up for a much longer period of time compared to the weight bearing exercises. So cycling may actually be more beneficial for pure cardiovascular fitness since we can go an hour or 2 on the bike after only a week or 2 of riding. But runners can only get up to consistent hour long runs (daily) after several months or even after a whole year or 2 of consistent training. And some folks who run never get up to running for an hour at a time.

Ickybod

i am not sure how to interpret your post. How do we read this and compare a runner athlete to say Lance Armstrong? Yes its is easier on the joints - and so is a mountain bike on a trail, are you going to burn calories, condtion, and tone up... I think you are split some hair here....People run,walk,hike all day....

Cookerhiker
07-10-2012, 18:53
Just wanted to clarify that when I said cycling was harder than backpacking, I was talking about fully-loaded cycling trips with long and/or steep uphill pulls. Or on an apples-apples comparison, I have done one-day several bike-hikes on the AT i.e. no heavy pack either on bike or hiking. I'd park the car at one trailhead, cycle to the other, and hike back to the car. Not counting the Cumberland Valley which was easy all around, the biking was always harder. One example was the VA roller coaster. The hiking is all up-and-down but so is the biking.

I agree that overnight cycling trips on rail-trails and the C&O are not that difficult. But again using my example of the Great Allegheny Passage's southernmost 23 miles, I defy anyone to claim that backpacking up from Cumberland is harder than cycling it. The grade is gentle enough to hardly notice it hiking but you sure notice it when cycling.

fredmugs
07-10-2012, 19:03
I ride an exercise bike to train for hiking because I can do it daily. It's great for hiking. When I ride a real bike it is a whole lot tougher. Once the Tour de France is over I plan on busting out the real bike to do whatever I can to prepare for the JMT is Sept.

coach lou
07-10-2012, 19:11
Just wanted to clarify that when I said cycling was harder than backpacking, I was talking about fully-loaded cycling trips with long and/or steep uphill pulls. Or on an apples-apples comparison, I have done one-day several bike-hikes on the AT i.e. no heavy pack either on bike or hiking. I'd park the car at one trailhead, cycle to the other, and hike back to the car. Not counting the Cumberland Valley which was easy all around, the biking was always harder. One example was the VA roller coaster. The hiking is all up-and-down but so is the biking.

I agree that overnight cycling trips on rail-trails and the C&O are not that difficult. But again using my example of the Great Allegheny Passage's southernmost 23 miles. I defy anyone to claim that backpacking up from Cumberland is easier than cycling it. The grade is gentle enough to hardly notice it hiking but you sure notice it when cycling.

I've been doing the same thing this season on day hikes. Dump my fishing bike at one end, drive up the other end hike to the bike. The spin after the hike soothes the aches and pains.

fiddlehead
07-10-2012, 21:39
All this talk about which is better or worse, they are both good cardo exercises (depending on how fast you take the uphills in hiking I guess)
But, the real benefit of biking is the speed that you travel.
After 15 years of hiking, I've determined that walking is just too slow and gets boring after a while.
Motorcycle riding gets you outside (compared to a car) but is just too fast.
Bicycling is the perfect speed.

Also, when you are in shape, you can do almost anything: Met a guy once on the CDT who was doing the CDT bike trail. He went 15 miles down a mountain one night cause he had a craving for ice cream. Pedaled to a store and then back up the mountain to where his tent was.
They see a lot more than we (hikers) do.
And out west, they are even allowed on the trails.

They both have their dangers but I think hiking is safer though.

I just got a mountain bike here in Thailand and trying to build up those new muscles for these hills.
Actually I'm finding tennis to be my number one exercise right now and playing an hour every weekday, then bicycling in the evenings.

Spokes
07-10-2012, 21:52
I'll keep this short. Hiking is definitely harder. In 2008 I bicycled solo 4464 miles across the country in 69 days. I thought that was tough. Then in 2009 I thru hiked the AT NOBO. Yikes!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=3502&v=138

Cheers!

10-K
07-10-2012, 22:01
I'll keep this short. Hiking is definitely harder. In 2008 I bicycled solo 4464 miles across the country in 69 days. I thought that was tough. Then in 2009 I thru hiked the AT NOBO. Yikes!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=3502&v=138

Cheers!

Great journal - read it!

jwalton
07-10-2012, 22:16

Hawker, just curious...by any chance did you start from Mtn Crossings at a pace that was too fast? I've made that mistake and found that I never recovered. (Climbing Brasstown Bald). do you ride with the guys out of Northstar in Dawsonville?

jburgasser
07-11-2012, 09:13
compare a runner athlete to say Lance Armstrong?

....People run,walk,hike all day....

Mr. Owl, to compare Lance Armstrong to a runner, that runner would have to be Meb Keflezighi, Ryan Hall, or Abdi Abdirahman. Do you recognize those names? They are the 3 Americans representing the US in the Olympic Marathon next month. They are at the same level in there sport as Lance is at his (cycling). They are capable of running faster than 2:12 which is 34 minutes faster than Lance's marathon PR of 2:46 at New York. I can see where this can get all kinds of crazy going back and forth. My response to the OP was simply an attempt to say that to be a stronger hiker, you should hike more. Or maybe I was trying to say that cycling is not the best way to get in shape for hiking. I do know I was riding a fever the last few days including while I typed that response so maybe it reads a little garbled. If you can't hike consistently enough to gain a training benefit from it, then you need to do the next closest thing: walk or run. If you feel that you can't run, at least give it a try on a treadmill first. They have a lot more give than any sidewalk or asphalt.
If all you do is cycle, then you can be great at cycling. But that doesn't mean you can hike with no effort, just like that means you can't swim with no effort. You've got to practice the hiking, or swimming, part.
You don't have to do anything, but if you would like the hiking to be easier, it is a good idea to do something.

People may walk or hike all day, but very few run all day. Yes, there are the ultramarathoners, but they are the exception, not the norm, obviously.

Ickybod

Hawker
07-11-2012, 09:49
Hawker, just curious...by any chance did you start from Mtn Crossings at a pace that was too fast? I've made that mistake and found that I never recovered. (Climbing Brasstown Bald). do you ride with the guys out of Northstar in Dawsonville?

No and No. I don't think I started out too quickly as I was with my wife. I know some of the guys at Northstar but don't ride with them. I've hiked Brasstown and indeed that will get your heart rate up. I've ridden partway up Brasstown but alas...the mountain got the better of me that day. :)

Pedaling Fool
07-11-2012, 10:09
These discussions that attempt to compare one activity to another always seem to turn into a pissing contest of which is best. I've even seen it debated in the cycling community when people argue who's the fittest, i.e. Mountain bikers or Road Cyclists.

As I said in my post I believe hiking is harder simply because I think (suspect) it uses more muscles, therefore oxygenated blood must be delivered to more working muscles during that activity than cycling. However, I said ("In General"). I know what Cookerhiker is saying when he perceives loaded-cycling in the hills tougher than hiking. And in a sense he's correct, because one can't readily stop during a climb; in hiking if you stop, you stop, but in cycling if you stop you start rolling backwards, on a bike you're always fighting gravity, but then I factor in the downhills. Going downhill is so much fun on a bike and the only real problem is keeping from killing yourself.

That's another factor why I think cycling is not as difficult as hiking, but it is all kind of subjective. But then again, I've been cycling for over 25 years, so maybe that really affects my personal subjectivity, thus really puts too much of a bias in my opinion, since I have way more mileage in cycling.

However, what I’m NOT saying is that I believe a hiker is more "fit" than a cyclist. Regardless if one rides a bike, hikes a trail or run in races, the body will become efficient at that and the more one participates in that overtime it will make the body weak in other activities.

I knew a guy who could run like a rabbit, but 20 pushups were tough as hell for him. So yes he was probably the best runner I’ve personally met, but that’s all he did and (IMO) he was weak. In real life if one develops that much expertise in one discipline at the expense of other strengths they die, but in today’s world people can do that because of the ease of our lifestyle.

WalksInDark
07-11-2012, 19:28
I spent more than 10 years cycling in WI ---lots of open space, not a lot of hills, and tons of rails to trails plus rural roads--- where I routinely put 30+ miles of mountain and/or road bike miles at least 6 months out of the year. Carrying an extra 10 pounds of body weight over what I think I should weigh, was an inconvenience but not a show stopper.

Then I moved to SW VA a couple of years ago and took up backpacking.

Maybe because I was already in my 60s....or because I was not used to having so much weight on my back...plus elevated trails to boot, I too felt pretty out of shape. Now, having been backpacking a couple of times a month for the last three years; I still get tired. But it usually means that I am carrying too big a load or trying to cover too much ground. Oh yeah, that darned extra body fat plus a heavy pack ---I would rather have what I need, than need something I don't have-- does add an additional degree of difficulty.

A health factor (asthma) which had only been an intermittent concern when I cycled, is something I have to be very careful of when I backpack. If the temps/humidity high, pollen count high, air quality low, or even when it gets too cold out; my asthma severely reduces my lungs ability to process oxygen and I have to be very careful not too overtax myself. Using an inhaler pre-hike, when necessary during the hike, and certainly after the hike if I need it, all combine to reduce the effects of my asthma. This may or may not be an issue for you as well.

All in all, I find backpacking uses much more energy from many more muscle groups than cycling ever did. Still I enjoy both activities...but am a little more patient with myself when backpacking.

Pedaling Fool
07-12-2012, 12:43
In the interest of showing no bias I've been cycling for over 25 years, primarily as a commuter, but also a few loaded tours. However, I believe (in general) hiking is more difficult, simply because it involves more muscles in the upper body (primarily stabilizing muscles).

I would argue that biking has a more upper body component most of the time than hiking except for steep uphills/downhills when you are scrambling and using poles. your upper body and core have to stabilize your bars on the bike the full ride. when on flat hiking your arms swing along for the ride.
I wasn't counting just the arms, yes I agree cycling uses the arms more than hiking, especially the triceps, but that ain't saying much, both cyclists and hikers (and runners) don't really have much use for arms.

However, in my experience, the stabalizing muscles in the upper body is used much more in hiking, especially since one is carrying a load that is off center. Most of cycling, exception when going slow, doesn't really need much from stabilizing muscles, when riding fast your momentum keeps you upright more than your muscles and that's why its easy to ride hands free at speed than when going slow. (and "fast" is not really all that fast to develop the momentum necessary)

This is a very shocking finding and it supports my claim that not much muscles in the upper body are used during cycling, but probably doesn't apply to mountain bike riders -- serious mountain bike riders, not just anyone that rides a mountain bike on a trail. http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/articles-and-newletters/research-articles-index/sports-medicine-rehabilitation/rapid-bone-loss/

Excerpt:

"Using dual photon absorptiometry technology, the researchers found a mean increase in bone density of 18% in the lumbar spine (lower back) and 32% in the femoral neck (upper thigh) in the 21 high-performance weight lifters studied. These findings were encouraging, but not surprising. However, in the control group of cyclists, the scientists were shocked to find that over the three week period of racing in the Tour de France, the athletes experienced a mean loss of about 25% of their spinal bone mass. The investigators believe that these values are indicative of whole body bone mass, which means that extremely heavy exercise over a three week period may cause the body to lose as much as 25% of its total bone mass!"

A major reason I lift free weights!

WingedMonkey
07-12-2012, 13:14
I bike 20 miles a day to prevent GLOBAL WARMING.

:banana

Cookerhiker
07-12-2012, 13:24
These discussions that attempt to compare one activity to another always seem to turn into a pissing contest of which is best. I've even seen it debated in the cycling community when people argue who's the fittest, i.e. Mountain bikers or Road Cyclists.

As I said in my post I believe hiking is harder simply because I think (suspect) it uses more muscles, therefore oxygenated blood must be delivered to more working muscles during that activity than cycling. However, I said ("In General"). I know what Cookerhiker is saying when he perceives loaded-cycling in the hills tougher than hiking. And in a sense he's correct, because one can't readily stop during a climb; in hiking if you stop, you stop, but in cycling if you stop you start rolling backwards, on a bike you're always fighting gravity, but then I factor in the downhills. Going downhill is so much fun on a bike and the only real problem is keeping from killing yourself.

That's another factor why I think cycling is not as difficult as hiking, but it is all kind of subjective. But then again, I've been cycling for over 25 years, so maybe that really affects my personal subjectivity, thus really puts too much of a bias in my opinion, since I have way more mileage in cycling.

However, what I’m NOT saying is that I believe a hiker is more "fit" than a cyclist. Regardless if one rides a bike, hikes a trail or run in races, the body will become efficient at that and the more one participates in that overtime it will make the body weak in other activities.

I knew a guy who could run like a rabbit, but 20 pushups were tough as hell for him. So yes he was probably the best runner I’ve personally met, but that’s all he did and (IMO) he was weak. In real life if one develops that much expertise in one discipline at the expense of other strengths they die, but in today’s world people can do that because of the ease of our lifestyle.

All good points, but I don't think this WB discussion has been a "pissing contest" - everyone's been respectful. Also, I realize the OP merely asked about the effect of cycling on getting in hike shape. I was the first to bring up the "which one is more challenging" point for which I apologize for a slight thread drift. However, the discussion's been civil.

One more anecdote: I met numerous mountain bikers when thruhiking the Colorado Trail last summer. In every single instance, we got along just fine. Even some who were speeding past us on one of the sponsored events still wished us well on our hike. Later during the course of many conversations at points along the trail, the bikers expressed admiration for what we were doing - lugging heavy packs for 480 miles, sleeping outdoors, etc. I was quite awestruck watching them pedal steep, rock-strewn slopes. I felt their challenge was greater but more importantly, we were both engaged in outdoor physical exercise with each activity entailing its respective challenges.

BabySue
07-12-2012, 13:55
Hawker, don't be too hard on yourself. You climbed one of the AT's toughest in Georgia and did so in 90+ degree heat (I was there last week too). Since hiking is not your main gig, you probably weren't quite as well prepared as you would have been for a serious bike outing (for example, the weight you carried & what you ate the night before). I am not a biker, so I compare your experience to me going to a long hill that zaps good bikers and riding up it. Just keep on biking and cross training in ways that you enjoy and let the chips fall where they may.

ChinMusic
07-12-2012, 16:32
Garlic is in the process of doing a Nothern Tier thru-bike. He is also a triple crown hiker.

I met up with him last week. He said a 100-mile day on a bike feels similar to a 25-mile day backpacking.

coach lou
07-12-2012, 16:41
Garlic is in the process of doing a Nothern Tier thru-bike. He is also a triple crown hiker.

I met up with him last week. He said a 100-mile day on a bike feels similar to a 25-mile day backpacking.

Very true, but the aches and Pains are NOBO of your typical hikeing aches.

coach lou
07-12-2012, 16:44

Gee Wiz WM, Climate Change, Climate Change....you don't want to open another can of worms. Everyone is just calming down from this weeks festivities!

Pedaling Fool
07-12-2012, 17:16
All good points, but I don't think this WB discussion has been a "pissing contest" - everyone's been respectful. ... However, the discussion's been civil.
I agree. Too much Kumbaya crap on here lately.

Also, I realize the OP merely asked about the effect of cycling on getting in hike shape. I was the first to bring up the "which one is more challenging" point for which I apologize for a slight thread drift.
I don’t see any of your posts as thread drift. This is just a topic that interests us all and we want to share our experiences and thoughts. I was not thinking of your post when I said: “These discussions that attempt to compare one activity to another…” I was actually looking at WOO’s post #20, but again, I know we’re not being uncivil here; it just reminded me of the pissing matches I’ve witnessed.

I met numerous mountain bikers when thruhiking the Colorado Trail last summer. In every single instance, we got along just fine. Even some who were speeding past us on one of the sponsored events still wished us well on our hike.There we go with that Kumbaya crap again. :D

Later during the course of many conversations at points along the trail, the bikers expressed admiration for what we were doing - lugging heavy packs for 480 miles, sleeping outdoors, etc.
The grass is always greener on the other side. I know I’ve, on occasion, wished I were doing a hike during a bike tour or vice versa. I guess that’s just natural when you’re pushing yourself in one event.

I was quite awestruck watching them pedal steep, rock-strewn slopes. I felt their challenge was greater but more importantly, we were both engaged in outdoor physical exercise with each activity entailing its respective challenges.
When I say hiking is tougher than cycling, I understand there is some subjectivity in my opinion and I don’t mean to make an absolute judgment, it’s just my take on the two activities as a whole.

However, I do agree that when comparing the simple task of going uphill, i.e. pedal stroke to foot step, cycling is tougher.

For an illustration of this, one only needs to watch the Tour de France. Here’s a race in which some of the top elite athletes in the world are competing and these guys can easily attain at least 40 mph on the flats in a sprint and average around 25 mph. Yet when they get to the mountains you got these fat, drunken idiots can run next to them waving their stupid flag. And if it’s a French guy than you know you he’s a: “Cigarette-smoking, fat, drunken idiot…”

Pedaling Fool
07-12-2012, 17:20

Yeah, what are you doing, trying to start a fight :D ;)

Anyway, I guess it's the thought that counts :) http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0722-bikes.html

WingedMonkey
07-13-2012, 18:55
Yeah, what are you doing, trying to start a fight :D ;)

Anyway, I guess it's the thought that counts :) http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0722-bikes.html

You really gotta stop with the foreign press stuff, I don't ever get it. :p

Oh BTW I got a new thing going on in my compost pile with Black Soldier Fly Maggots. I've adjusted my whole system to raise them for my herps while I raise the earthworms. It's amazing but it's all based on foreign research.

:sun

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2012, 20:04
My dirty little secret -- I am a foreigner ;)

Lone Wolf
07-13-2012, 20:05
bicycling is tougher than walkin'

coach lou
07-13-2012, 20:35

Yea, if your tryin' to pedal that big ole Hog of yours. It would probably be easier if you would just use the sticks.

Lone Wolf
07-13-2012, 20:41
Yea, if your tryin' to pedal that big ole Hog of yours. It would probably be easier if you would just use the sticks.

seriously. the long distance bikers that stay at The Place are more physically exhausted than any of the hikers. they hit the rack early and get up early. they don't party or usually take days off. they're more committed to their goal. truth. hikin' is just walkin. most of us can do it. long distance cycling is a different ball game

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 00:16
Yeah, I gotta bicycle, a Boulder 520 made by Huffy, hehehe, that biking is way to much cardio for me, I'm more of a saunterer I guess.

DaSchwartz
07-15-2012, 19:30
I bike and hike often. Hiking is much harder in my opinion because you never get to coast. Climbing downhill can be harder then climbing uphill when hiking.

max patch
07-15-2012, 19:55
Hiking is my main form of exercise, followed by running and biking. I do not get as near as good a workout when biking as its easier to cheat.

ChinMusic
07-15-2012, 20:09
Once I met up with Garlic the idea of a trans-continent thru-bike seemed appealing. I have not biked in years due to it killing my butt and putting my hands to sleep. I would think that with proper gear something could be worked out. I have a local buddy that does at least one long ride a year and keeps asking if I'm interested. He rides a recumbent which must be a bitch on sustained climbs. He does have quads of steel tho.

I think I have him convinced to leave his comfort zone and join me for a section on my thru-hike next year. I may have to explore entering his domain.

Hawker
07-17-2012, 20:42
Again folks, thanks very much for your thoughts and advice. Since I live in the area, I'm heading back to Blood Mtn. this weekend to see how I feel this time. Since I originally posted I've been trying to get my heart rate up and do more hills when I ride...we'll see if it's had any effect. :)

Pedaling Fool
07-18-2012, 07:45
Yeap, gotta get the heart rate up, go anaerobic everyday, that's what I do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUyMYHG_Vcg

jwalton
07-18-2012, 23:20
Again folks, thanks very much for your thoughts and advice. Since I live in the area, I'm heading back to Blood Mtn. this weekend to see how I feel this time. Since I originally posted I've been trying to get my heart rate up and do more hills when I ride...we'll see if it's had any effect. :)

Hawker, just park at Turner's Corner and pedal up 129 to Neals Gap before you climb to Blood Mtn...

stumpknocker
07-19-2012, 08:17

I see Cookerhiker mentioned my name early on in this thread. I figured I would give my thoughts on this subject since I have enough experience in both activities.

I enjoy both backpacking and bike touring. I go at each one differently and that probably has a lot to do with my opinion.

When backpacking, I'll sleep in my tent each night when on the trail, but I do try to stay in a motel at least once a week. I like to get an early start on town days and have maybe fifteen miles done by noon. Hitch into town and get a motel room, hop in the shower with my hiking clothes and wash me first, then wash my clothes.

I'll get dressed in my wet clothes and walk to lunch. (clothes usually dry on the walk to the restaurant) Eat lunch, then kick back into the room and rest until dinner. Eat dinner, then back to the room for the night. Eat breakfast, resupply with enough food to get me to the next town, then rest in the room until 11am checkout. Eat lunch on the way out of town. I'll then try to get in fifteen miles in the afternoon. I get a full 24 hour rest for my body, I am well fed and I still get in the miles. It doesn't always work out like this, but this is what I shoot for when backpacking.

Biking is completely different. I never need a full 24 hours of rest. I usually go from town to town, trying for an average ride of maybe 60+ miles. I carry everything I need for self sufficient camping, but rarely camp unless I'm somewhere like the C&O. A shower feels wonderful after a day's ride...and if it's available, I take advantage of it. I can usually eat breakfast in a restaurant, ride, eat lunch in a restaurant, ride, get a motel and shower, then eat dinner in a restaurant.

Biking is most likely easier for me because of the way I bike. I would never carry anything on my back while biking. The bike carries everything. I travel 3 to 4 times faster on a bike than while backpacking....and I am still going at a snail's pace. On one 7,500 mile ride I averaged 63 miles a day and averaged a 12mph pace even with going through the Appalachian Mountains twice and the Continental Divide twice. Going up steep hills while biking is usually about 6mph compared to maybe 2.5mph going up hills while backpacking. My pace doesn't change going downhill backpacking, but I've had my fully loaded touring bike up to 49mph three times. Never could hit the 50mph mark, and I think I'll stop trying for that. :-) My pace on more level ground is about 3mph backpacking and maybe 14 or 15mph biking.

When I wake up in the woods, I usually walk from dawn to dusk when backpacking. I'm ready to crawl into my tent after that. When I'm bicycle touring, I only spend at most about six hours in the saddle to get the miles in and have plenty of time and energy for other things.

I really thought I was in great shape when I pedaled my bike into Millinocket, ME at the end of that 7,500 mile ride. I shipped my bike home and got ready to start a sobo thru hike. I climbed Katahdin and it was hard. I've climbed Katahdin maybe two dozen times and I can only remember one time that was harder than this time. I woke up the next day and could hardly walk. I just rode a bicycle 7,500 miles, so I had lots of leg muscles to easily ride a 100+ mile day by 3pm any day I wanted. Those were different leg muscles than the leg muscles I used for climbing Katahdin.

I got to White House Landing, sounded the air horn and had to work at it to lay down on the dock until Bill came to pick me up into the boat. I saw Bill walking down to his boat to come get me and I didn't want him to see me get up, so I started trying to get back on my feet. It was painful, but I did it. When I got back to the White House Landing side of the lake, Linda came out and looked real surprised to see it was me. She said she thought it was me when she first looked through her binoculars, but changed her mind when she saw me try to get up. It was hard to even walk until I built up my trail legs again.

In just over 20,000 miles experience of backpacking and just under 20,000 miles of loaded bicycle touring, I can say for me that it is much easier to bicycle. You and I are real close to the same age. It is also much easier for me to go from backpacking to the bicycle.

I find I do quite a bit of both activities each year so it never is too hard to switch gears from hiking to biking or the other way around. Both are great activities...after-all, it's just walkin' or it's just pedalin'....pedalin' being easier for me. :)

Slo-go'en
07-19-2012, 09:30
Biking uses different leg muscles then hiking, so doing one doesn't get you in shape to do the other, except for the general health and stamina benifits each gives.

fiddlehead
07-19-2012, 09:35

Tennis is harder than both!

Just depends on how hard you try.

Hawker
07-19-2012, 14:40
I really thought I was in great shape when I pedaled my bike into Millinocket, ME at the end of that 7,500 mile ride. I shipped my bike home and got ready to start a sobo thru hike. I climbed Katahdin and it was hard. I've climbed Katahdin maybe two dozen times and I can only remember one time that was harder than this time. I woke up the next day and could hardly walk. I just rode a bicycle 7,500 miles, so I had lots of leg muscles to easily ride a 100+ mile day by 3pm any day I wanted. Those were different leg muscles than the leg muscles I used for climbing Katahdin.

I got to White House Landing, sounded the air horn and had to work at it to lay down on the dock until Bill came to pick me up into the boat. I saw Bill walking down to his boat to come get me and I didn't want him to see me get up, so I started trying to get back on my feet. It was painful, but I did it. When I got back to the White House Landing side of the lake, Linda came out and looked real surprised to see it was me. She said she thought it was me when she first looked through her binoculars, but changed her mind when she saw me try to get up. It was hard to even walk until I built up my trail legs again.

Stumpknocker, now that's pretty interesting. Obviously we use different leg muscles for each activity, but after the riding you did, I would have thought your legs would have been in pretty good shape for just about anything. Very interesting.

jwalton, Indeed...that ride up would certainly get you heart beating. I've done it once. Oh, to be 22 yrs old all over again.