PDA

View Full Version : Winter Clothing List

kayak karl
07-08-2012, 20:12
Looking at hiking Damascus - North. Jan and Feb 2013. i'm fine with hammock, cooking, pack and stuff, but want to detail my clothing list. i have no weights, nor do i care. just don't want to carry too much or too little. i don't have the brand names on a lot of my stuff. Goodwill cut the labels out :)

List, skin out:

Keen boots
Down booties (?)

Silk underwear
2 pair wool socks
Waterproof socks

Zip-off nylon pants
Long johns bottom
Nylon shorts
Silk long underwear
Cuben chaps

Wicking short sleeve
Silk long sleeve
Thermal long sleeve
Mountain hardware micro fleece
Silk Hawaiian shirt
Packa

Glove liners

Fleece gloves w/Mitten covers (Outdoor Research)

Balaclava
Down beanie (Blackrock)

JRB wareable quilt for camp.

TY
KK

Cedar Tree
07-08-2012, 21:32
I think you need a little more leg insulation for around camp. I would drop either the "long john bottom" or "silk long underwear" and replace with down pants. I carry "down underwear" from Cabela's. Pretty heavy at about 1 lb, but cheap (around $60), and very warm. I wear them around camp as pants. I'd prefer some down pants from Western Mountaineering, but for $60 they work really well. Nice choice of rain gear.:cool:
When you get to Marion, give me a shout.
Cear Tree

theinfamousj
07-08-2012, 21:45
Down booties (?)

I am cold natured such that I finally felt warm in the triple digit temperatures we've been having this summer. Down booties are AWESOME! Take them if you've got them. If not, I wouldn't spend on them - I don't have any of my own and have borrowed when I've gone winter camping in Pisgah NF near Boone, NC. You can always put your feet into a big single down sock: your sleeping bag. I do this whenever I cannot borrow any.

Silk underwear
2 pair wool socks
Waterproof socks

What are the waterproof socks for?

Zip-off nylon pants
Long johns bottom
Nylon shorts
Silk long underwear
Cuben chaps

You already have shorts if you have zip off pants. I'd ditch the separate shorts.

Wicking short sleeve
Silk long sleeve
Thermal long sleeve
Mountain hardware micro fleece
Silk Hawaiian shirt
Packa

Again, you have two short sleeve shirts of equal weight listed. I'd just take one of them.

Glove liners
Fleece gloves w/Mitten covers (Outdoor Research)

This is one area where I can never get warm: my hands. I've done OR fleece gloves with glove liners and it just wasn't enough. I cannot suggest what will be enough because I haven't figured it out for myself yet, even though I love winter hiking and simply suck it up. Those chemical, oxygen activated glove warmers help, though.

Balaclava
Down beanie (Blackrock)
JRB wareable quilt for camp.

I think you need a little more leg insulation for around camp. I would drop either the "long john bottom" or "silk long underwear" and replace with down pants. I carry "down underwear" from Cabela's. Pretty heavy at about 1 lb, but cheap (around $60), and very warm. I wear them around camp as pants. I'd prefer some down pants from Western Mountaineering, but for $60 they work really well.

As I've said before, I'm generally cold natured and I think that if the sole purpose of down pants, especially in Damascus which is awfully close to my beloved Boone hiking, is to wear around camp, then it is entirely a luxury item. If your legs get cold, and mine tended not to when wearing all my leg layers together, then you can always go into your bag.

kayak karl
07-08-2012, 21:53
i will call. i ended in Marion in 09, but want to do Greyson Highlands again and visit Damascus. thanks Cedar Tree

1azarus
07-09-2012, 07:17
i agree you would be much more comfortable with more leg insulation. the Jacks make arms for that wearable quilt... any chance they'd fit on your legs? I can't quite tell from your avatar... if they do, they are an awfully flexible item, which work on your arms, legs, even on your feet when just sitting around. I do suggest you consider micro puff pants and "sweater" instead of the fleece. lighter. warmer. You do wear that Packa with the underquilt? My latest favorite winter suggestion is to wear your pack on your stomach/front when you get into your hammock. Amazing amount of "free" insulation -- especially if you have a plastic bag liner. i love georgia that time of the year...

kayak karl
07-09-2012, 20:51
in my hammock i'm fine. i put the pack under my feet (2/3 TEWA Quilt). i decided to take the my rain pants for more insulation and they my help in town more then the chaps. i did ware the packs w/wearable quilt. micro fleece is light and i'm not much for hiking with down clothing on.

KK

kayak karl
07-11-2012, 20:33
what should my dog wear?

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 20:43
what should my dog wear?Chinchilla...or Rabbit:D

I just heard the other day that this year has been the warmest on record, so all the testing I did last winter with all my stuff is for not....bummer