PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Trail Conditions and Detour

cabbagehead
07-08-2012, 23:47
This thread is for anyone who hiked through the part of the AT near Mt. Killington, VT. I hiked it almost 2 months ago and the trail was completely obliterated. I had to backtrack and take a detour. I initially missed the detour because the sign was small, and I was hiking at night.

If you've hiked this region, please tell everyone...

Did the trail exist?
Did you take the road detour?
Did you take the AT?

Detour instructions:

Going northbound…

Turn left on Cold River Rd.
Turn right on Wilmouth Hill Rd.
Turn right on Gilman Rd. AKA Upper Cold River Rd.
Turn left on Township / Gilman Rd.
Turn right on Township Rd.

Don H
07-17-2012, 19:17
Any update on the trail conditions in VT?

Jeff
07-18-2012, 05:58
Southbounders tell me they ignored the detour and just followed the white blazes. They say the "damaged" trail reminds them of a typical day hiking in Maine.

Don H
07-18-2012, 07:24
So generally roots, rocks, mud and mosquitos. Thankfully black fly season is over!
Is this damage from Irene last year?

Jeff
07-18-2012, 10:34
Yes...the trail follows a stream that became a torrent during Irene. There is basically one small section where the path was washed away and you have to bushwack. But, after so many have trampled the brush down it's no problem. There are also a couple of bridges that washed away. Mostly rock hops now, unless there has been serious rain. Plans Too Much who is a trail angel/maintainer in the area has worked hard to make it more tolerable until it can be properly addressed by the Green Mountain Club.