PDA

View Full Version : Mizpah Hut

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 00:53
Any thrus reporting issues at Mizpah Hut this year?

Barger
07-09-2012, 01:13
Not a thru, but I'll be passing by on Thursday 7/12. Anything you want me to look out for? When are you getting there. Might not be able to post until 7/16.

T.S.Kobzol
07-09-2012, 06:36
B&e reported passing through Mizpah

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Blue Jay
07-09-2012, 07:58
Yes, I was given a stay there for my birthday last week. The crew was fantastic, the food great and even the turons were wonderful. I'm assuming your going to badmouth?

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 09:40
Yes, I was given a stay there for my birthday last week. The crew was fantastic, the food great and even the turons were wonderful. I'm assuming your going to badmouth?

No, not me. I was reading a certain trail journal that did though. The report was they were refusing work/stay for no valid reason.

I have no dog in the hunt.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 09:42
No, not me. I was reading a certain trail journal that did though. The report was they were refusing work/stay for no valid reason.

I have no dog in the hunt.

they aren't required to offer work/stay to anyone. all hikers should pay their way

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 10:00
to be fair also they showed up really late at 8pm.. from things i've read getting there around 5:30-6 gives you a much better chance at work for stay (dinner clean up i'm guessing)

10-K
07-09-2012, 10:13
I got work for stay there, and in every hut I stayed at in 2010.

It's a great gig if you can get it. I gained weight hiking in the Whites I ate so much.

weary
07-09-2012, 10:28
to be fair also they showed up really late at 8pm.. from things i've read getting there around 5:30-6 gives you a much better chance at work for stay (dinner clean up i'm guessing)
I'm not a great AMC fan -- though they gave me a lifetime membership 40 years ago, something to do with me calling the public's attention to 400,000 acres of public land that Maine had saved and then forgot it owned.

The AMC huts keep getting too fancy for my taste. And their new lodges in Maine are even more so. However, expecting stay for work after most of the supper chores are finished, or at least assigned, strikes me as a bit far fetched.

I've stayed at the huts occasionally. The crews, I've found are mostly bright, enthusiastic kids enjoying a summer or two in the mountains. The annual turn over is probably 50 percent of more so what happens one year is unlikely to impact what happens in subsequent years anyway.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I did hold various committee jobs with the Maine Chapter for 20 years, including editing the newsletter for a decade or so. I quit when I was criticized for running a piece favorable towards a Maine Woods National Park, which apparently conflicted with AMC plans for the woods.

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 10:32

Good to know. Is it common trail knowledge that if you show up that late that the Huts will just tell you to hike on? I know very little about the Whites and the Hut system other than the hiking is hard and the sleeping options are few.

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 10:43
Good to know. Is it common trail knowledge that if you show up that late that the Huts will just tell you to hike on? I know very little about the Whites and the Hut system other than the hiking is hard and the sleeping options are few.

i started my presi in a day with a '11 thru hiker (he was ahead of most us away pretty quickly) and he said that if you show up too early or too late then the odds go down. he would try to time it around 5:30 so he would have a good chance. mileage may vary though.. it is pretty much up to whoever is there i think.

brian039
07-09-2012, 10:55

Yes it would be common knowledge to a thru-hiker (or at least it was when I was hiking through) to know that. They'll also tell you to move on if they have enough thru-hikers to get the chores done. I'd say getting to a hut after 4:00 and getting work-for-stay is pushing it. You have to be a bit lucky or have a good strategy to get through the Whites and stay at all the huts. You can probably expect to end up having to pay or hike down to a campsite about half the time.

10-K
07-09-2012, 11:03
This is just a theory but I think it helps not to look like Charles Manson when you show up....

I put on my cleanest dirty shirt and tried to look presentable before I got there. After all, you are going to be interacting with people who are paying big bucks to stay there. It doesn't make a good impression if the person they have helping looks like a homeless person.

Don't know if there is any truth to it or not but like I said - I had no problem getting work for stay at every hut I stayed at which was every night I was in the Whites.

Driver8
07-09-2012, 11:27
The thing about Mitzpah that makes it easy for them to turn late thrus away is that it's right next to Nauman Tentsite. Of course that has a daily tenting fee, but imo the thru's in question should've known the timetables others have posted about here.

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 11:29
Yes it would be common knowledge to a thru-hiker (or at least it was when I was hiking through) to know that. They'll also tell you to move on if they have enough thru-hikers to get the chores done. I'd say getting to a hut after 4:00 and getting work-for-stay is pushing it. You have to be a bit lucky or have a good strategy to get through the Whites and stay at all the huts. You can probably expect to end up having to pay or hike down to a campsite about half the time.

I kinda figured a thru would have that info by the time they got there. I'm not too worried about it but the more info I learn the better. Do all Huts have those platform areas as well? I know it takes some engineering if you don't have a free-standing tent. I would imagine that cash is NOT king if they don't need anymore help, since the Huts could easily be in no-vacancy mode.

Driver8
07-09-2012, 11:37
I kinda figured a thru would have that info by the time they got there. I'm not too worried about it but the more info I learn the better. Do all Huts have those platform areas as well? I know it takes some engineering if you don't have a free-standing tent. I would imagine that cash is NOT king if they don't need anymore help, since the Huts could easily be in no-vacancy mode.

Lakes of the Clouds hut has no nearby camping areas. From Madison, you can either descend into the Great Gulf, which has lots of sites, both paid and stealth, I gather, on or not too far from the A.T., or you can descend northward about 500' to 1000' from the A.T. to one of four paid RMC enclosed shelters ($13) or open shelter/tentsites ($7), which are first-come, first-served. I gather that good stealth sites on the north slopes are few and far between. Not sure about other paid sites up there, am reading up on it b/c I plan to hike the Northern Presidentials in the next weekend or two.

Driver8
07-09-2012, 11:42
Lakes of the Clouds hut has no nearby camping areas. From Madison, you can either descend into the Great Gulf, which has lots of sites, both paid and stealth, I gather, on or not too far from the A.T., or you can descend northward about 500' to 1000' from the A.T. to one of four paid RMC enclosed shelters ($13) or open shelter/tentsites ($7), which are first-come, first-served. I gather that good stealth sites on the north slopes are few and far between. Not sure about other paid sites up there, am reading up on it b/c I plan to hike the Northern Presidentials in the next weekend or two.

To clarify, I meant descent 500-1000' in elevation, probably half a mile to a mile of trail. Crag Camp and the Perch are two of the four RMC sites, don't remember the other two off the top of my head.

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 11:43
The thing about Mitzpah that makes it easy for them to turn late thrus away is that it's right next to Nauman Tentsite. Of course that has a daily tenting fee, but imo the thru's in question should've known the timetables others have posted about here.

not knocking them a whole lot but they have received an enormous amount of help along the way and may not have expected the possibility of being turned away. :shrug: a late night under a poncho tarp isn't the end of the world hehe

peakbagger
07-09-2012, 11:44
The huts do not typically have platform areas, but most have AMC managed campsites within a couple of hours. Mizpah is the only ones with adjacent tent platforms, Madison hut has the valley way tentsites but they are downhill from the hut. At most huts, you usually have the option of dropping down off the ridge and finding a campspot, it usually entails losing 1000 feet of elevation and 1 mile of hiking. Lake of the Clouds is the one place you cant readilly do that as the side trail is a restricted use area (and would be a pretty miserable place to camp. Your option there is hike a couple of hours north to Jewell trail and then drop off the ridge to a site used by thruhikers or turn around and head south to Edmonds path.

Jack Tarlin
07-09-2012, 11:50
Some good and helpful comments here, but hikers should pay special attention to Wolf's remarks. The work-for-stay option is nice; it can be a wonderful thing on a stormy night or if you're hurt; however, there will not always be slots for every hiker who wants to do this, and neither the AMC or the various hut crews are ever obligated to provide this service, i.e. hikers should never take it for granted. And, of course, there are thousands of places in the Whites where hikers, thru and otherwise, can camp legally for free, and in most cases, this is what they should plan on doing.

T.S.Kobzol
07-09-2012, 12:49
The huts are so overpriced and sometimes snotty that it's best to plan avoiding them altogether. I've staed in each of the huts at least once during the summer but after I have gone through there in summer months I usually plan to avoid them. Winter is a bit different, and these huts are palatable during the 'self service' months. It is beautiful out there and they have to manage the crowds above tree line so the prices are high, way high for my taste.

I'm not a great AMC fan -- though they gave me a lifetime membership 40 years ago, something to do with me calling the public's attention to 400,000 acres of public land that Maine had saved and then forgot it owned.

The AMC huts keep getting too fancy for my taste. And their new lodges in Maine are even more so. However, expecting stay for work after most of the supper chores are finished, or at least assigned, strikes me as a bit far fetched.

I've stayed at the huts occasionally. The crews, I've found are mostly bright, enthusiastic kids enjoying a summer or two in the mountains. The annual turn over is probably 50 percent of more so what happens one year is unlikely to impact what happens in subsequent years anyway.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I did hold various committee jobs with the Maine Chapter for 20 years, including editing the newsletter for a decade or so. I quit when I was criticized for running a piece favorable towards a Maine Woods National Park, which apparently conflicted with AMC plans for the woods.

Driver8
07-09-2012, 15:11
Lake of the Clouds is the one place you cant readilly do that as the side trail is a restricted use area (and would be a pretty miserable place to camp. Your option there is hike a couple of hours north to Jewell trail and then drop off the ridge to a site used by thruhikers or turn around and head south to Edmonds path.

I've heard the closest place to tent to Lakes is down in the Dry River Valley. I think I read about the Barefoot Sisters camping there, SOBO, IIRC. Not sure of the details.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 15:12
I've heard the closest place to tent to Lakes is down in the Dry River Valley. I think I read about the Barefoot Sisters camping there, SOBO, IIRC. Not sure of the details.
i know of an awesome place within 200 yards where one could cowboy camp

Driver8
07-09-2012, 15:16
Your option there is hike a couple of hours north to Jewell trail ...

I saw this spot when there a few weeks ago. It's at about 4000' and is obvious, right next to the trail on a level place. That does mean surrendering 1400' from the A.T. and over a mile, one-way, but it is a nice spot. The Jewell is mostly above tree-line between this spot and the A.T., so it's a pretty hike with great views.

Driver8
07-09-2012, 15:19
i know of an awesome place within 200 yards where one could cowboy camp

Closest place, I meant, below tree line. I've heard of people cowboy camping at several spots along the A.T. corridor in the Presidentials. I guess the plan is to roll in after dark and find a somewhat secluded spot, pitch, wake before dawn and roll out. Want to do that sometime before too long.

Blissful
07-09-2012, 21:57
Camping above tree line?
Please don't.
The right thing to do is figure out your pace and hit the options to stay out there. Like the RMC places, etc. People bending the rules to camp wherever they want and destroy alpine vegetation just because they want to keep some dollars in their wallet....
Impact is impact.
Do the right thing and hike yourself below tree line.

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 22:42
do it in a day and skip all of those problems :)

Different Socks
07-09-2012, 23:50
they aren't required to offer work/stay to anyone. all hikers should pay their way

Ditto, on that! Don't assume you can stay for nothing regardless. They are doing you a favor, it is their option to offer or not.

Driver8
07-10-2012, 01:18
Ditto, on that! Don't assume you can stay for nothing regardless. They are doing you a favor, it is their option to offer or not.

What's this "stay for nothing," Kemo Sabe? They make you work. Plus, having thru-hikers stay is part of what those doling out the cash pay for, don't kid yourself.

pyroman9
07-14-2012, 00:22
Hey guys, just finished my thru hike. I stayed at 6 of the 8 huts. I was ahead of the crowd so I did not have to fight for a spot though...

few tips: (from croo)
Best show up time : 3:30 - 5:00 (This is before they start dinner prep so they are not packed busy) (If you show up before 3 they will tell you to keep going)

If you show up late do not ask between 6-7:30 - just hang out and wait as they are busy with dinner

Be very kind and respectful to them. They have morning meetings, so if you stay at one hut and are rude, they will tell others ahead to not allow you.

Volunteer to carry "messages" to the next hut.. a note = golden pass (most of the time)

Work hard... you are being given a $140 value - earn it.

I had a great stay at all huts. Mizpah gave me a little trouble as I came late ~8 and it was raining, they had let two sections hikers get WFS. After talking for a minute they let us join, just a small hiccup as they did not think any thru hikers were coming that night. Worked out though.

redfox1939
07-19-2012, 22:56
In winter there is no meals service so you carry in and pack out all your food. There is drinking water, boiling water and a gas cooker available. Pots, cutlery, plates etc are also provided. The main hut (used for cooking, eating and hanging out) is heated with a single pot belly stove. The sleeping area consists of two huts - each with four rooms with either 4 or 6 bunks in each. While new and clean there is no heating. That said with a good winter sleeping bag and the right clothes you should not be cold.

scurley
07-19-2012, 23:53
I did Pinkham Notch to Crawford Notch 7/1 - 7/3. Ran into a flip flopper from SC trail name escapes me right now. But I ran into him on 7/2 at about 5pm at Madison he was able to get a work for stay. 7/3 I ran into Hop-a-Long at about 1pm about 30 mins south of Lakes he was looking to get a work for stay. Note from Lakes the Dry River Trail is closed so you may have to hike on to one of the RMC shelters most of these are 1000' down and a mile or more of the ridge. Sorry didn't stop off at Mizpah. Heads up coming down from the north peaks into Pinkham there are pretty much no blazes. After going over the suspension bridge go left at the juncture. Saw one through hiker and another section hiker that took a wrong turn here and walked 3 miles into the great gulf before they knew it.

Slow n' Steady
07-21-2012, 14:55
I stayed at Mizpah with our student hike leaders through an AMC-sponsored program for schools. AMC gives back to the community through programs and partnerships with schools at no cost or a very low cost. If you pay, know that you are helping to provide opportunities for kids to experience the woods. Just a plug for the good work by AMC. I may be at Mizpah this Friday (July 27) or Nauman tentsite. Anything I can do to help you?